Should Jemele Hill be suspended?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

In case you haven't heard, ESPN SC host Jemele Hill (Who I actually really like as a sportscaster) sent out a tweet Monday that basically called Trump a White Supremacist. Tweets are in the story:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-jemele-hill-trump-20170913-story.html

ESPN issued an apology, but did not suspend her.

Yet Curt Schilling was fired because he shared a post about the NC Bathroom law and added:

Now I wish all sportscasters would leave politics completely out of sports, but does anyone else see a double standard here?

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Uh got a direct link to said tweet... the whole kid rock thing is a cluster *$&# of responses that make the PRSI look good. :D

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Thanks JK.

Given the two tweets for comparison she should have got the same punishment as they are both committing the same crime of putting their labels on others with little reason or thought.

... I'll leave it to others to decide which tweet has more factual basis and social implications. :D

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes, I think she should have been suspended. Clearly, a double standard exists at ESPN. I've deleted their apps from my iPhone, and will start using other websites to get my sports news.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

But, but, private companies of the sort that control ESPN have the legal status now of a person, and people do not have to be internally consistent. They can do whatever they want.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Correct. ESPN is certainly within their rights to either suspend or not suspend Jemelle Hill. That said, they should be prepared for possible backlash from their fading customer base.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What double standard? Schilling repeatedly said stupid **** multiple times after being told to stop.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The problem with claiming a double standard is that there is bound to be more than just the tweet involved in the firing decision. How well does each person perform their job? How important is their position? How big is their audience? How well do they work with others and management? What are the stipulations in their contract?

Tweets like this may be the straw that breaks the camels back, but whether that break happens or not depends on how much other weight the camel is bearing.

11. eatrains macrumors 6502

Why should she get suspended? The age of political correctness is over; if you get your feelings hurt, get over it.

12. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

There are double standards everywhere.

That being said, it's up to the businesses to decide how to respond and up to them to suffer the consequences of their decisions.

13. Zombie Acorn, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Oh yeah, Trump is true Nazi material, bringing Jewish people into his cabinet, having a Jewish daughter and grandkids.

Bout as good as the idiots on the left calling Ben Shapiro a white supremacist Nazi, news flash, he's Jewish.

14. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

You don't suspend a person for stating the truth.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Seems like the Alt-right snowieflakes get their feelings hurt over the smallest things these days. They use PC as a crutch more than the Liberals have for decades.

15. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502a

OriginalAppleGuy

What she said was just plain stupid and very wrong. It is a double standard if they keep her. If you believe Trump is racist, go research the lawsuit he brought against the city in relation to his Mar-a-lago property. I'm really over all the lies people tell and buy in to.

16. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

These are Trump's most loyal supporters, images from Charlottesville. Donald cannot get himself to denounce them (even when other Republicans do so). Thus, he is their enabler.

[​IMG]

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Trump has denounced them many times. You just bury your head.

18. kobalap macrumors 6502

This is how sad society has become - a woman offers her opinion (which one can argue the merits for her opinion) and all the snowflakes get bent out of shape and want her fired. What is this world coming to.
    Yep, there are bad people on both sides. The white supremacists side and the women who get run over by white supremacists side.
    No one said he was a smart white supremacist.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You clearly didn't watch the chaos in the streets when police were given orders to stand down while Nazis and basement dwelling antifa members beat the **** out of each other.

20. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

They can. But as a company that depends on the public to view their product, being inconsistent can have consequences.

21. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Trump is most certainly NOT a white supremacist. His son in law is Jewish, thus is own grandchildren.

Why would he do this and wear the yamaka: ...if he was a white supremacist? He supports the Nation of Israel.

22. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I don't see a double standard. Donald Trump is the President of the USA for heaven's sake. We are a richly diverse nation. And yet he's made no bones about slow-walking his "rejection" of white nationalists. It's almost a mockery how he does it now. I can hardly wait to see if he has learned anything or will slow-walk to his desk to sign that joint resolution on Charlottesville that the Congress just threw at him today.

Those tweets the ESPN broadcaster made should linger on her account, and shame on ESPN anyway for "distancing" themselves. Sometimes you have to stand up for what is true and right.

Donald Trump clearly invited white supremacists in to the White House and some of them --like Stephen Miller-- are still there writing speeches and even policy directives from the West Wing instead of languishing out behind the porch waiting for Republican dog whistles to the polls, as used to be the limit for those dogs until Trump came along.

Now all the white nationalists and their ilk out and about are emboldened. I've heard people in my area pass remarks in public they never uttered in the 40 years that I've had a place up here. I knew them to be racists because in semi-private situations, they would look around and lower their voice and say the same things they do now. But now they come right out in mixed company at social functions and pass the same remarks, in public and in normal conversational tones.

Yesterday evening someone finished up a remark about Obama by saying "... but that's what they get for sending a black boy to do a white man's job." There is no way in hell that guy would have said that in public to that group of people before Trump was inaugurated. As an aside while you were waiting for some little machine shop task to get done or whatever, maybe some similar conversation could be overheard. Or shortly after you met someone they'd run a joke past you to see if you guffawed or took exception. But it's since Trump was elected and sworn in, since people see who he dragged into the White House and gave powerful voices to, that white nationalists feel entitled to reveal what we already knew since they made no bones about saying the same stuff sotto voce all along.

This has to stop. That's what the congress' joint resoloution says, basically.

Last night when that remark was passed, I had maybe the same kind of feelings (but for different reasons) as you did when you were pulling apps and thinking to go elsewhere besides ESPN for sports. Maybe for me it's skipping the next pancake fundraiser for the church hall...

On the other hand that is our only social venue for the community so I will probably roll up sleeves and help wash the skillets and plates. But I blame Donald Trump for what is happening around here.

And will Trump slow-walk to his desk to sign that joint resolution on Charlottesville passed by Congress? Or will he sign it immediately and see that its urgings --excerpted below-- are taken up by himself and his administration? Place yer bets...

[Congress]

(7) urges—

(A) the President and his administration to—

(i) speak out against hate groups that espouse racism, extremism, xenophobia, anti-Semitism, and White supremacy; and

(ii) use all resources available to the President and the President’s Cabinet to address the growing prevalence of those hate groups in the United States; and

(B) the Attorney General to work with—

(i) the Secretary of Homeland Security to investigate thoroughly all acts of violence, intimidation, and domestic terrorism by White supremacists, White nationalists, neo-Nazis, the Ku Klux Klan, and associated groups in order to determine if any criminal laws have been violated and to prevent those groups from fomenting and facilitating additional violence; and

(ii) the heads of other Federal agencies to improve the reporting of hate crimes and to emphasize the importance of the collection, and the reporting to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, of hate crime data by State and local agencies.

23. Zenithal macrumors 604

One is a correct statement and the other perpetuates hate against a minority. I fail to see what was wrong other than the statement being inappropriate. It's correct, though. The President is wishy-washy about white supremacy and the White House seems to ignore any chance they're given to condemn it. Mind you, this is the same White House that blew the Holocaust away as if it were nothing.

24. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502a

OriginalAppleGuy

One person posted about the stupid discussion about bathrooms and gets fired. The other about Trump, our President of the USA, and what happens? It's completely acceptable. Why? Because the press is pissed and they are doing everything in their power to turn everyone against Trump. Established politicians are pissed because they are being called out for their actions.

25. kobalap macrumors 6502

Yes. Everyone who is against white supremacists and Nazis are violent, basement dwelling thugs. Especially women.