Should my MacBook be waking itself up at 1:17 in the morning?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by drewcosten, Nov 9, 2008.

1. drewcosten macrumors member

drewcosten

(Running a year old white MacBook using 10.5.5 with all the latest updates and a two year old MacBook Pro using the same with a WD My Book external hard drive plugged into the Pro via Firewire for Time Machine backups and a Kodak photo printer also plugged into it via USB (also a keyboard connected to it via USB and a wireless Mighty Mouse via Bluetooth). No USB or Firewire devices plugged into the MacBook in question at the time this story takes place, and Bluetooth is turned off. My MacBook connects wirelessly and my MacBook Pro connects via Ethernet, both to my Apple AirPort Extreme with 802.11n router.)

I was lying awake in bed at 1:17am (EST), unable to fall asleep, when I heard the distinctive sound my MacBook's DVD drive makes when my MacBook wakes up. The lid was closed, but I could see that the sleep light was a steady white rather than the pulsing it normally does when it's asleep. I opened the lid, and rather than asking me for my password the screen stayed black. I then noticed that my router's activity light was flashing like crazy (as were two lights on my modem, which I assume from their position on the modem were Transmit and Receive, but my apartment lights were off so I couldn't tell for certain). I quickly pulled the plug on the router and immediately my MacBook screen lit up asking for my password. I also quickly turned off my AirPort card (and "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer," although my Bluetooth was already turned off) just in case.

The MacBook Pro mentioned above was asleep the whole time, from what I could tell, and nothing at all was recorded in its logs during that time period.

I can paste my MacBook's firewall and Console logs from that time period to the time I put it back to sleep about 11 minutes later if anyone wants to know what happened during that time period (presuming there are no security risks in my doing so that anyone is aware of), but in the meantime is anyone aware of anything that could have caused something like this to occur (I'd check my router's logs to see if anything unusual was recorded there, but they seem to have been deleted thanks to my pulling of its plug)?

Thanks.

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Sometimes my :apple: wakes up randomly when either a USB hub gets shut down (from the hubs own "sleep" mode), or a USB device finishes it's charge cycle.

Any USB devices, or wireless mice / keyboards?

System Preferences / Energy Saver / Options - un-check "Wake for ethernet network administrator access" (just in case)

If it's waking up at exactly 1:17 every morning - same preference pane - on the bottom of that window "Schedule..." - is it clicked to "start up or wake" at that time? Obviously disable it if so.

3. drewcosten thread starter macrumors member

drewcosten

Nope, not attached to that machine.

I allways keep that un-checked.

Nothing scheduled. This is the first time I've ever noticed this happen on this machine, although something similar did happen once on the MacBook Pro a couple months back (I was at work and noticed my wife's MSN account become Available on my list on my MacBook which I use at work but nobody was at home. After a minute it went inactive again, and when I got home and checked the logs I believe a Bluetooth device had woken it, though this was before she had the wireless Mighty Mouse and I don't believe Bluetooth was turned on either). I just double checked the Console logs for my MacBook and it definitely didn't happen yesterday at the same time.

4. kolax macrumors G3

5. drewcosten thread starter macrumors member

drewcosten

No.

(Edit: Some of the non-Apple-included apps that I use include: Adium, AdiumBook, Cyberduck, DynDNS (I have SSH accessible to one account on my MacBook for when I'm at work and leave it at home), Fink, Firefox, ManOpen, Microsoft Office 2004, MPlayer OS X 2, NeoOffice, Pacifist, Quicksilver, Remote Desktop Connection, Shimo (for VPNing obviously, though I haven't used it since my last job), StuffIt Expander, TinkerTool, VPNClient (Cisco, though again haven't used it since my last job), and WaterRoof.)