Should newspapers endorse a candidate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Feb 20, 2008.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So newspapers always endorse someone for president, doesn't that go against an impartial press. Why is there never any outrage when a paper endorses someone?

2. Spizzo macrumors 6502

What I've seen is the papers endorsing one candidate from each party. This probably doesn't hold true to all papers, but the few I've read about have. Honestly, to me, I don't care who endorses who. I'm not going to get behind a candidate just because someone else does. I like to have my own opinion. But I guess I'm not in the majority in that area, because if no one really cared, we wouldn't be hearing about it.

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I really don't see the point in it. I don't listen to any endorsements.

4. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Who said the press is impartial? At least an endorsement is an honest and open admission of bias. Of course, once elected, they'll go for whatever slant sells the most birdcage liners.

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Why not just keep their mouth shut until the election.

6. stevegmu macrumors regular

Pretty much all newspapers lean one way or another. Here, The Washington Post leans left, while The Washington Times leans right. The Christian Science Monitor is probably the only unbiased news source.

7. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I find that hard to believe.

8. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

That'd be a great idea, particularly if the politicians played along. Why continue to pretend it's a public contest, anyway?

Mind you, I speak of the Canadian political quagmire. I just don't understand how your system works at all.

9. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Any paper that sells subscriptions, street copies, or advertising (in reverse order) has a bias.

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The endorsements are in the editorial sections...

11. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Doesn't make it right.

12. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

There is nothing wrong with them endorsing a candidate, providing it is in the op-ed section. However, that does not excuse them from reporting biased stories which promote their candidate.

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Yeah it does, the editors can write whatever they want in an editorial. They're entirely opinion sections.

14. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

But they should not use a paper to sway voters. Their job is to report the news. The problem I have is when they take out TV ads promoting who they are endorsing.

15. stevegmu macrumors regular

If you say so.

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

And they do report the news.. in the news section.

17. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I do, but having worked for a newspaper, I'm biased. ;)

18. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

By that logic, newspapers should not have opinion sections at all.

The purpose of an opinion section in a newspaper is to give justification to differing opinions and schools of thought. Endorsing a political candidate gives an opportunity to do so on the issue of candidates for election, just the same as with different choices on tax levies, public works projects, etc.

I appreciate reading these endorsements on all issues because they bring up valid justifications for different sides of an issue that I may have missed.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

papers are allowed to. The reason behind this is any one can print a paper.

TV station and radios can not endorse a candidate because there are only a limited number for stations that can be used. So because of that they are not allowed to.

20. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

as long as they stay there!
    the thing is the endorsements spill out into the rest of the paper and its not journalism anymore. it becomes fox news for democrats

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Just because the owner, publisher or editor of a newspaper endorses a candidate really doesn't mean anything. Actually, newspaper endorsements at least have the advantage of being well written and moderate in their tone.

An impartial press is also an American fiction.

You should read the right wing tirades of England's "The Times" or "The Sun".

"Das Bild" in Germany is probably only slightly to the left of "The Sun" but just as biased.

Most papers around the world are clearly on one side of the political spectrum or another. Fence sitting is mostly seen as a sign of intellectual weakness.

22. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

23. stevegmu macrumors regular

Read the CSM everyday for 1 week, then try to convince me it is biased right or left.

http://www.csmonitor.com/

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Unfortunately, the CSM is a rarity in modern news. Generally speaking, CSM does have a specific world-view, but it's very subtle and constrained. And, it's not really left or right, even if those designations had any real meaning anymore.

25. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

The Christian Science Monitor is by far one of the most respected news publications worldwide. The editors strive for as neutral of a bias as possible in its news reporting, and CSM often reports on topics that are not picked up on by the mainstream media. I can't tell you how often CSM comes up on To the Point from KCRW, and To the Point is one of the best news radio sources that I can think of.