Should Obamacare subsidies be based on the honor system?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tshrimp, Mar 28, 2014.

?

Should Obamacare subsideis be based on teh honor system?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Should Obama care subsidies be based on the Honor System? I personally think this is not a good idea as when someone is getting something for free (or reduced cost by using other people money through the government) there needs to be checks and balances.

Do you think people will be honest, or abuse our government's trust (or hole in the system).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot...or-system-without-verifying-your-eligibility/

"...announcement that the government won’t be able to verify whether or not applicants for Obamacare’s insurance exchange subsidies are actually qualified for the aid,..."

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I personally wouldn't use an honor system.

I would think it could be cross-checked against IRS records.

Is the honor system really what is being used here?

Or is this just more anti-obamacare propaganda?

3. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Cost benefit analysis.

Is it more expensive to cross-check with IRS records than it is to tolerate some level of benefit fraud? Do whichever is cheaper.

PS - This "honor system" thing only applies in (a) the states that set up their own exchanges, and (b) only until 2015 (i.e. the rest of this year).

Also:
    My God, man, spell check!

4. 0007776 Suspended

How much would it cost to use the IRS to verify all of this if they didn't want to use the honour system? My guess is a lot more than they would save by kicking the small number of people who try to scam the system.

That said we really should just get rid of the ACA and replace it with a single payer system as that would solve a lot of the issues with it.

5. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Yes, but that would require a political system of the people, by the people, and for the people.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I am curious how this system will work out when these people with insurance need to use it. I looked at all of the plans for my age bracket and they start at $200 with $3000 deductibles. These are not affordable plans.

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Being that I believe in universal healthcare, I really couldn't give you a yes or no answer because I really don't care either way.

8. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

One of the (many) problems with US healthcare is that the costs have been hidden behind an employer vail. So as costs have increased, employees have seen many of the effects but not many of the causes. It's enough that you didn't get a raise, for example, but maybe your boss didn't share that info.

$10000/ year is not unusual, 2400 is a bargain.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The IRS already has a system in place to verify this for their student loan systems and its automated.

10. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

?? That's not a bad monthly price at all for a $3K deductible for an individual.

One key missing data point: what percentage is covered after your deductible is met at that price you pulled up? 70% 80% 90%?

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

3000 dollar deductible for insurance is good in the US now?

I guess if you had a 90k dollar operation, but for normal things like a broken bone you are going to get screwed hard.

That's pretty much just paying for disaster insurance for a young person, no way a typical 20-30 year old is going to hit 3000 in a year. Can't imagine paying 200 a month for that privilege.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This is the problem, most young people that are healthy will not hit a 3000 cap. I had to have a endoscopy done. It cost 2800, guess what, just under my deductible. So guess who has to pay for it.

13. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Yup, welcome to American "health care".

Although breaking your arm and going to the ER for a consult, X-ray, and short arm cast would probably run you $2K. 2/3 of the way to the deductible! :mad:

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It is really a nice bait and switch. Sign up for cheap healthcare to be counted into the system. Until you actually need to use it, then you can't afford it.

This plan works great if the young healthy people never get sick. Then it doesn't look so good.

15. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

If you think a $3K deductible is bad, you should have seen the **** "insurance" people are complaining about having cancelled because it didn't meet Obamacare standards...

$3K isn't very much in the healthcare world. Any kind of even half-way major injury or incident will cost way more than that.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

People that don't have insurance have crap jobs and could not afford insurance. So how is a high deductible going to help that? If they can't afford 3000 for a procedure what is the point of having insurance?

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its not much in the healthcare world when you are paying for million dollar surgeries, but telling our 20-30 olds to pony up 200 dollars a month so that they can pay for their own medical costs when they are already strapped for cash due to the trillion dollar student loan bubble and a sluggish economy/no upward mobility is a recipe for disaster.

You are basically one economic dip away from young people rioting in the streets.

And what are these insurance companies doing for the people? Not a god damn thing. You are paying them for the privilege to pay for your own healthcare. Time to cut out the middle man, UHC.

18. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

So they can afford a $30K procedure. Or a $300K procedure.

----------

Totally, completely agree.

19. Happybunny macrumors 68000

No systm which envolves tax money should be on the Honour System..:cool:

Back in the early 1960’s welfare was run on the honour system here in the Netherlands, after widespread abuse controls were installed. When asked why they had cheated the system the most common answer was because it was so dammed easy.:(

20. samiwas macrumors 68000

Huh. When my wife and I first got insurance some 6-7 years ago, I was in my early 30s, and she was in her mid 20s. For the two of us it was almost $900 a month with a $2500 deductible, and 80% coinsurance. By the time we had a kid, and ended up changing insurance, it was up to almost $1,200 a month, still with $2,500 deductible. That was two years ago. It's probably up to $1,400 a month by now. It was literally the only plan offered in Georgia for individuals wanting to have children. The only plan. The only other option was to move to another state or pay for everything out of pocket.

We switched to my union's group health plan which just this quarter got raised to about $1,200 a month. That's with no deductible, and a family plan, but that's some $14,400 a year…with coinsurance on top of that.

$200 a month with a $3k deductible is not a bad deal.

Funny you should say that. We constantly hear from the conservatives about how "they don't want to pay for anyone else's healthcare", but when it comes time to pay for yourself, "Well, guess who has to pay for my injury!" And before you say "It's insurance paying for it!"…who pays the insurance company to pay for it? Everyone does.

Indeed it is. The other option is to have others pay for it. But that seems to go against conservative mantra. But they are the ones who support the insurance industry. Odd how that works.

Well, we can all agree about that. American insurance companies are the devil incarnate. Why anyone thinks that the American insurance system is a model for efficient health coverage is beyond me. And how anyone thinks that "the free market" would fix it is even worse.

I will likely go nearly bankrupt in the next couple of years due to my child's medical condition, which is only partially covered by insurance. In fact, they have said that they might pay for what amounts to maybe 25% of it. If I went with the full procedures being recommended, insurance would pay less than 15%. I don't think my out-of-pocket maximums apply. Insurance is awesome.

Why this is such a bad thing to so many Americans honestly baffles me. Why can't we have a serious discussion about this?

21. 0007776 Suspended

It at least keeps them from having to file for bankruptcy and having one large health problem completely destroy their financial future. It's not a good plan, but it's better than the horrible ones that don't cover anything at all that people are complaining about losing, an until we get the political will to actually put in a single payer system it's the best we can get.

22. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Just to let you know how tough it is here in Europe.

My total health insurance is €107 per month that is for full medical, dental, and for coverage in all Europe. I pay an extra €10 when I travel outside the EU for full coverage.

23. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Just wondering how high your taxes are over there?

Also here in the US my coverage is $0 per month for full medical, dental, vision. 90/10 family plan.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I have no problem paying into a system, but why should I have to pay again to get a procedure. Either cut out premiums and just charge us a flat rate for everything or stop double dipping. There is no reason to pay upwards of 500 a month and then have to pay a deductible. Either add the premiums paid into the deductible or stop charging a monthly fee.

25. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I paid the top rate of tax 52%, it has since decreased to 49%

Just one question how can you not be paying for health care, when some of the posters are paying $1200 or more per month.:confused::confused::confused: