Should parents be licensed?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by G51989, Jul 27, 2014.

?

Should parents be licensed?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Undecided

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. Yes, but it is nearly impossible

11 vote(s)
    27.5%
  5. No, it would be impossible to put into law

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. G51989, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jenny-isenman/parenting-humor_b_2615932.html

This is interesting, normally I don't discuss things like kids to much, because I don't like kids and couldn't care less.

But!

We have lots of bad parents in this world, really bad parents.

http://www.ted.com/conversations/9115/licensing_parents_to_have_chil.html

That is true? If there were a test? Who would write it?

I didn't think about that either.

But you need a license to drive a car, carry a gun in some states, to get married legally, cut hair, drive a boat, fly a plane, or teach kids.

So why not to have kids?

If there was a test, what would you put in it?

If someone had a kid without taking and passing the test? How would you punish them?

I came to the conclusion, that while it seems like a good idea, its pretty much impossible to put into practice in any reasonable way.

And what isn't reasonable about it?

I feel it, while good in theory. Cannot be done without serious violations of personal rights and freedom and control over their own body. And I am not into violations of personal rights.

I think the best we can do, is make sure there are social safety nets, and schooling nets in place for those kids who are born disadvantaged, or from parents who don't want them

2. taptic, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014

taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

Wow... The new ideas in this world are going downhill fast... This is almost as good as the seat belts on motorcycles one.

3. omenatarhuri macrumors 6502a

It's possible to have state-provided education to parents, starting when the woman is pregnant.

During pregnancy information is given about what is healthy to eat and that you shouldn't drink alcohol and continue kickboxing.
    Before labor information related to giving birth is given.
    After the child is born the father is more involved as well with information given to both parents relevant to the child's age until he/she goes to school.

This is also a sneaky way for the system to observe how the child is doing and take action if something seems dodgy.

I guess most more-or-less civilized countries do this already. You can't really license parenting from the get-go (one can always reproduce in secret in their homes) but you can make sure everybody has the chance to be the best parent they can be and take corrective action when it's not really working out.

4. Felasco Guest

It's an interesting question for sure. We might note there are all kinds of rules governing adoptions, which we all probably agree is a good thing.

I could see something like a financial reward system for those parents who meet some standard, and a tax penalty for those who don't.

5. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

While I agree there are many bad parents, I do not think this would work as a solution. Once the horses are out of the barn, it's too late to go close the barn door. How would you even enforce this? Make every person sterile until licensed? Mandatory contraception? Big fines for pregnancies? No way it would work.

One thing that I think couldn't hurt would be parenting classes. Although, I'm not sure that high school is the place for it. The problem with high school parenting classes is the environment they are taught in. Think about classes when you were in school. Jocks would be focused on being studs in the classes, nerds wouldn't know what they were talking about, class clown would be joking about each point made...

Maybe voluntary parenting classes taught to adults who want to take them would work. But there is no manual on being a parent. I once heard a comedian during his routine say, "Why does it take a woman so long to have a baby? To give the man, nine months to get away.". The even more disgusting part? The crowd laughed.

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I would expect getting a parenting license would be just as easy to get a drivers license here in the US.

So this would do nothing in relation of reducing the number of bad parents.....

7. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Plus think about it! If we left it up to states, in lots of states it could just be like

" do you love Jebus and his holy goodness? "

" I do "

* approvals license *

8. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

No, men and women have inalienable reproductive rights.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Licensing parents is a terrible idea.

10. malman89 macrumors 68000

Adoptive and foster parents have to go through at least a minimal training/counseling/screening before being approved, so I don't really see the issue in having some course or training. It could just be an expanded offering from your local adoption/social service agency.

Then again I have no desire to have my own kids now and quite uncertain if at all.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

12. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Schools are already allowed to take you to court if they suspect that there's a parenting problem, and problematic students are quickly dealt with. I think we're a more opinionated and black and white society than ever now, and that's the bigger issue.

I don't think the lack of education makes a bad parent. There's this current ad on the TV, and there has been a few of them before, about how parents should have a college degree because "their kids will love them more". That is the worst thing you could ever put into a kid's mind. I HATE that they air these commercials on the kids channels.

I know lots of parents who can't write a complete sentence and wouldn't know the difference between a noun or a pronoun. I used to help them help their kids do their homework while doing mine for that reason. And now I help my brother with his because my parents have the same problem. That doesn't mean they're bad at parenting though.

And I know lots of people who don't believe in evolution. To me, that's just a minor detail which I have no care about. I just know that those are the people that I need to not mess with when it comes to those subjects. I might not agree with them, but I'm not going to show lack of repeat because of it, there are lots of other things we DO agree on.

If you suspect abuse, then report it to someone, but if you're having a cow with someone because they say this and that, and you don't agree with it, get the **** over it and move on. A lot of kids will grow up and figure out how to be less like their parents and survive in this society, they will meet people along the way that will help them do that.

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

People have the right to be bad parents.

Actually, the right to have children is probably among the most fundamental of all human rights. One that the state should interfere with at its peril.

We might outlaw some forms of marriage (between brother and sister, for example) - but once a child is conceived, it sets in motion an often inevitable chain of events. And should that child be born of unlicensed parents, upon what basis does the state interfere?

We may successfully require licenses to operate motor vehicles and radio transmitters. License the catching of wild fish and the operation of nail salons.

But require a license to become a parent? That is simply not going to work.

14. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

No, I believe in the basic right of all couples and individuals to decide freely and responsibly the number, spacing and timing of their children and to have the information and means to do so, and the right to attain the highest standard of sexual and reproductive health.

Radical, I know.

15. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

They have hoops to jump through because they are seeking to parent a child who is not theirs. You can't tell a couple they aren't allowed to reproduce until licensed. That's just insanity.

16. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

To quote the Earl of Sidcup in the TV series Jeeves & Wooster:

"Marriage is an honourable estate.

But in the 20th century, it has fallen into some disrepute due to the question of overpopulation.

lt is my intention to introduce a bill forbidding anyone earning less than £500 a year to have children.

At £500, he can have one child, at £1000, he can have two, £1500 three, and so forth."

Perhaps a 21st century update: $25,000: 1 child; $40,000: 2; $60,000: 3; and so forth.

17. vulcanvillalta macrumors 6502

You cannot enforce a license. But perhaps offer and encourage more parenting classes? Positive re-enforcement goes a long way.

18. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

There is no way to enforce this, people have unprotected sex too often

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Parenting classes would be a great idea. Why not tie them to tax deductions/credits? Same for parent involvement in schools, give them a tax break.

20. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Involve the stick as well. Make the classes compulsory, as in illegal to not take.

21. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Why do people want the government MORE involved in their daily lives? Hasn't it encroached far enough? Actually too far.

22. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Because people are idiots. That's why.

Remember, the government is US (as in "we") and it (should) do what we, as a society, want it to. It's not some spooky external entity.

23. vulcanvillalta macrumors 6502

Government (aka God) should rule us completely. Heaven forbid we handle our own problems!!!!!

I'm being quite not serious. I'm all for about 1% of the government we currently have. pave the roads, jail the bad guys, and uphold libraries. That's it. Stay out of foreign stuff completely.

24. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I get that "we" are "them". But it still brings some bureaucratic wonk along for the ride. And despite the laws that "we" put in place, "they" (looking at you BHO and Eric Holder) can choose to simply ignore them, or rewrite them on the fly.

Keep the collective "us" (the government) out of our personal lives.

25. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Wait a minute - how many people here (show of hands, please) are actually advocating classes before someone can become a parent?

Don't put your hands down yet!

Now, those of you with your hands raised - how many of you are against mandatory sonograms before getting an abortion?

Just as I thought: we're okay with educating someone before becoming a parent, but we hate the idea of educating someone who chooses not to become a parent.

Reproductive freedom is reproductive freedom, and it works both ways - if you're okay with allowing people to use birth control (abortions) and contraception, then it would be hypocritical to suggest that it's okay to regulate not using these things.