Should people who are buying iPhone3G today update to 2.0.1 or no?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rybold, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Should people who are buying the iPhone 3G today update to 2.0.1 or no? Thanks :)

I bought my iPhone a week ago, but I still haven't synced it to my computer. It's a phone for me;
    and I have a separate iPod for music.

2. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Its up to u really. I havent updated and probably wont until the 2.1 update comes out.

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

4. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

if you wanna jailbreak = no.

if you stay stock = do it.

5. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

To elaborate, if you want better chance to unlock the phone then no. Jailbreak will work regardless.

6. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I have no intent to jailbreak my phone. I have had AT&T since 1999. If they issued cards, mine would say "customer since 1999." The only reason I am hesitant is because I have heard a lot of people on these forums complaining that the update actually made their phone worse. Some people even said it disabled the GPS. Now I'm almost scared to update.

7. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

If your phone isnt acting up or rebooting or whatnot, just stick with 2.0

8. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

It's fine, else they wouldn't have released it.

9. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

My phone gives me zero problems, except for only one problem... when using the GPS maps, if I click on "hybrid" map, the browser closes and goes back to the homescreen. Others have reported this same problem. But otherwise, my phone works perfectly fine.

You have a great point though... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." :cool:
    Thanks

10. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I'm not sure why u wouldnt update. 2.0 is buggy as hell and 2.01 corrects alot of the problems. I have had no issues after the update- there are always going to be people who complain about everything.

11. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I totally understand what you are saying; Apple would not release an update that harmed the phone. At the same time, a whole bunch of people seem to be having problems:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=538179

12. mephiska macrumors newbie

It made the keyboard lag better. Its not gone completely but it is definitely improved. If you do email on it frequently then that alone is worth the upgrade.

13. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

Personally I had so many troubles with 2.0 that I decided it was worth it. I went to 2.0.1 and MANY of the problems want away. I would definately go with it.

14. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

not true. pwnage doesn't work for 2.0.1 currently and that's the only available jailbreak for the 3G. if you try to build a custom ipsw with the 2.0.1 ipsw, it doesn't work. and you have no chance to unlock either way because there is no unlock for the 3G yet.

15. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

you know that jailbreaking and unlocking are two different things, right? jailbreaking has nothing to do with the cell carrier. all it does is provide full access to the iPhone's filesystem. unlocking is what opens the phone up to other carriers.

16. MasonMI macrumors regular

I got my iphone 3G on monday when my order finally came in at the AT&T store, i updated to the 2.0.1 firmware since the syncing and backup times were taking forever now after i updated my iphone 3G the sync and backup is much faster and the update suppose to have fixed some the app bugs.

17. JimmyCorrigan macrumors newbie

I have less typing lag, but it still happens. Safari seems to crash more often. Contacts scroll smoother. It's a wash.

18. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Trading Safari function for a little bit better contacts scrolling does not sound like a
    wash to me. It sounds like a bad deal ! :confused::eek:

19. agakgagak macrumors newbie

2.0.1 Borked my general reception 3g, edge, hence it markedly worsened gps (almost useless now), web browsing. I will say the shortened back up times are more tolerable now and the contact app lag is less often but still happens now and again. I really pray these issues get sorted out soon! A new issue happened tonight I haven't seen or heard of yet when my phone basically would not wake up from sleep. Pressing the home button did not wake it up as it should have and holding in the top button did not wake it either. I almost thought it was permanently bricked, that or somehow the battery had completely drained for some weird reason until I dropped it in it's cradle and it powered on, still more than half charged. Two more times tonight it has intermittently croaked for no apparent reason and couldn't be revived until connected to power

20. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

Oh mines been doing that for a while on my 2.0 phone. I just have to reset the phone.

21. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

My information was base on the latest news from dev team that they were about to release 2.02, which just happened. Also, they have stated on their website that it doesn't matter if you have upgraded, jailbreak will still work in future pwnage. It's the unlocking that may run into issues if you upgrade through Apple.

22. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I just arrived back home from a ten day vacation. My 3G phone worked excellent with just firmware 2.0, and GPS worked like a gem. Only maybe 4 or 5 times over then ten days did Safari or GPS quit back to homescreen. I have never synced my phone to my computer; so I have zero Apps and zero music on it. 3G speeds in Chicago and Naperville were EXCELLENT. Using testmyiphone.com, I recorded my screen shots. I had one connection that read 1.7Mbps, and Youtube was streaming with zero buffering (better than some peoples' PCs). So .... should I take the big step now and sync my iPhone3G and update to 2.0.1 ? Is 2.1 available yet? Anything new? Thank you everyone!!! :)

23. pj rage macrumors 6502

I thought mine was pretty good on 2.0, but 2.0.1 improved everything for me and didn't hurt anything. My GPS locks on faster and is now more accurate (was never a problem with 2.0, it's just much better now). Apps crash less ferquently (but still crash), and a lot of the lags (keyboard, contacts, etc) have been reduced drastically (but some areas could still use improvement). I also noticed the home screen swipes being "snappier" and the phone in general seemed smoother (safari scrolling and web page loading).

I know some people are having issues with GPS not working after the update, and maybe some other problems, but I would do it again in a heartbeat.

24. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

I've upgraded to 2.01 and have had no problems, apart from once when Quake crashed while I was playing it.

25. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Thanks for all of the responses everyone. I'm going to update later tonight. Thanks again.

Let me know if anyone has any new info. :)