Should police officers wear cameras?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by G51989, Jun 28, 2014.

?

Should police officers wear camera's?

1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    92.5%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Undecided

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Police never lie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

This year, we have seen a lot of " Police screwing up " in America, shooting homeless people, old people, mentally disabled people.

And being accused of brutality in several cities, and lots of deveoped countries all over the world.

Now, I know the police do a hard job, but I think they have to much power and its getting out of hand.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...ngerous-militarization-of-u-s-law-enforcement

The question, should police officers be required to wear camera's that are recording 24/7?

I think yes.

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Are you willing to pay for them? Departments are already struggling to meet budgets. They can pay for this by tightening up enforcement and writing a few more citations each day.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I think something like this could be easily and comfortably clipped to a uniform...

[​IMG]

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Or maybe they can take some of that sweet DHS money and but one fewer APC.

5. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Sure, we can stop the war on soft drugs, then the money they save from now having to worry about 15 year olds smoking dime bags in the K Mart parking can be used to buy Cameras.

I do not think Police as a whole are accountable enough in America.

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Yes.

But, that won't be enough. Police need to be trained to deal with mentally ill people without shooting them. I'm willing to pay for that training also.

Police also need to learn how to deal with people who are intoxicated and disorderly with classic control techniques instead of shooting them. I'm willing to pay for that training also.

7. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Maybe drunks should stay at home.

8. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Ideally, yes. But why should the police offers first instinct be to shoot at drunk people (unless they get very violent I guess), when, for the most part, its just people coming out of a bar after doing whatever.

9. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Maybe cops should act like professionals instead of thugs.

10. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Police are always jerks until you're the one calling 9-1-1.

----------

Do police routinely bust a cap into drunks in your area? I'd think that would have thinned out the drunk population by now. That's got to be hard on the tourism. How many drunks does an officer encounter in a week, month or year? How many times do they wind up shooting the drunk?

11. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Actually, if I had a family member who suffered from mental illness, I would develop a plan to deal with emergencies that did not involve calling the police. Because most police and most departments are not adequately trained and may end up shooting the patient in order to save him.

And yes, as a matter of fact, I have seen police in other countries deal with violent drunks directly in a way that I'm sure resulted in nothing more than a sore shoulder.

12. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Don't get drunk and stupid in public then this won't be a worry.

13. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't hesitate to call 911 for medics or fire, but it would be my last resort for law enforcement. The chance of unintended consequences is simply too great.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

No matter if the Police did the right thing or wrong thing when involved in an incident or accused of something, there always seems to be unanswered questions from both sides. For the most part, the officers word will always win over. That's what really needs to change. Many don't feel safe around police because of this. Cams on officers would be a huge step in changing that, and will give a voice to both sides of the story instead of just relying on an officer's word

15. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I am really shocked at the number of people who have little to no trust for the police in this forum. But I guess that shouldn't surprise me that much considering how many are also pro-marijuana.

16. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Whats wrong with marijuana? I don't trust cops either because they have a history of being overly violent. I'd trust them more if they had cameras. Also, theres the fact that good cops who do their jobs don't get as much coverage as the bad ones.

17. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

QED.

As a matter of fact, a lot of "surprising" people do have little to no trust in the police. You would expect that most middle class people would generally trust the police, wouldn't you? Do you ever stop to ask yourself why trust in the police has eroded over the years?

I think it is bad for you (mostly), but, I also think it should be legal. Does that make me "pro-marijuana"? The War on Drugs has been a disaster.

18. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Please explicate the relationship between support of the legalization of grass and having no trust in the Police.

Requesting that attacking an argument by attacking the source of the argument be avoided. As I'm sure that you know, ad hominem argument constitutes the generic fallacy.

Police, like other professions, have their good folks and their folks who cannot be trusted. Although it may be a small percentage of Police who abuse their power, the potential consequences for the victims of these (few?) bad apples can be profound...even fatal.

19. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Police powers and equipment have changed out of all proportion, the Police in the US are now like a Para-Military-Force. In some areas it wages a war of occupation on the general population, the steep rise of No Knock Warrants, coupled with the War on Drugs, and the War on Terror.

This is a problem that has been going on for some time, but before most of the excesses happened to people of colour living in bad neighbourhoods. But in the past few years the spectre of the police state has crossed over into white suburbs.

Everything today is seen by police as a direct confrontation, which almost certainly will end in violence.

“Rise of the warrior cop”

http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Warrior-Cop-Militarization-Americas/dp/1610392116

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Again with the non sequiturs?

Look, I think the police have a tough job to do in this country. And their job is made that much harder due to the massive number of firearms in private hands.

I guess I contrast that with the experience most people have with the cops in Britain. And that is, because it is all but unknown for an individual stopped by the police to be carrying a firearm - the threat-level and overall stress level for everyone concerned is that much lower. So, you can thank the NRA, the Second Amendment, etc. for the fact that cops in the USA are sometimes quick to open fire.

Should the police wear cameras? Yes, almost every instance when they are interacting with the public. And in the event that one of their arrestees goes to trial, they should have access to the recording of their arrest.

21. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Amen. My guy is a police officer. A lot of departments make 32K a year or less. That salary is the same as what a manager at Pizza Hut makes (I worked there). They already can't afford to really cover the streets and end up being spread thin. Who would pay for these cameras? Is that more we'll take out of an officers salary? Is that jobs being cut and even more layoffs? Let's make it an even worse place just so we can watch each and every person. Let's watch them do long hours, risk their life and even die on that camera because his partner got laid off to pay for that surveillance equipment....

----------

In that case how about every citizen be required to wear one too? How about lawyers? President? Congress? There are always going to be people who do things wrong or make mistakes. They are police officers as one but humans as first and foremost.

22. I7guy macrumors G5

Given all the stuff that happens with the sheer number of law enforcement I'm actually surprised more "bad" stuff doesn't happen.

However, cameras on police officers will not only show where the cops are at fault it can be used the other way around as well.

23. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

What I'm seeing in the forum is that many people seem to share these positions:

• Gut our military
    • Eliminate our police forces
    • Legalize marijuana
    • Repeal the second amendment and ban private ownership of firearms
    • Tax the rich

This sure sounds like a recipe for a Utopia that I wouldn't want to be anywhere around. What about the fact that the majority of the police do a thankless job for little pay every day. Do they sometimes make a bad decision, yes but when you are dealing with people who think it is okay to decide which laws they'll obey and which ones they won't, what do you expect?

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm sorry, but the ubiquitous nature of cellphones has made 5+ megapixel camera's incredibly cheap. Paired with an SD card and you've got a lapel camera that could easy be sold for $20 or less when bought in significant quantity.

Take one $1 million grant for an assault vehicle (for which there is no need) and buy thousands of the cameras. To suggest that there is no way to find money is just ********, it's about priorities.

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What the hell are you smoking?