Should politicians include their families during election periods?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Feb 27, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I recall (vaguely) a few years ago, a politician who had used their family members in some ad, which in turn had opponents and others making some underhanded comments. The candidate then said to the opponent to butt out at which point criticisms came in about candidates using their families in the first place wanting special treatment.

Namecalling is not nice, but if politicians' families are brought in, then do they become equal targets for political opponents (and article readers) to exploit?

And are we voting for the candidate's children or the candidates? We all assume the candidates give a damn about our families as much as they do their own, so what's the point in doing so to begin with? Playing with voters' emotions? I really don't know what the mindset is.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Maybe opportunistic, which could be "stupid" for something as major as politics - I agree, but plenty of politicians from most political parties, including the two major ones, do often bring in family members but then get upset when they are responded to.

In general, what if politicians' families are brought out by the media or public demand with the politician having no real choice but to bring 'em out? Especially as families have been used for rather a long time now to win voters over.

You also bring up a great point - should families be included in just electioneering campaigns or even when elected (continual exposure). The latter can be good or bad, from the point of both politician and audience. The attempt to show camaraderie and solidarity to relate to the populace is a good thing, probably, but as we've seen from child actors and other young celebrities, keeping them in the spotlight doesn't always bode well for their psyches either. There is a lot of stress.

And a side-note: Why should trees need to be lit up with electric-powered lights, if we're supposed to be saving energy? How extravagant becomes too much? Then again, it's one tree and I've seen houses in real life that blaze the evening sky with more light than the display from that article - seriously, it's amazing how excessive some properties become...

The article is also sexist - only women? Visibility is important, we know, but "Star Trek" had the right idea 50 years ago by showing everyone in an ensemble show as metaphor for trying to get society to grow up and stop segregating one another. Much good that's done, in 2016 media sites still cater with sites like "FOX Latino" that only continue reverse racism. One would think the liberal media would have stopped coddling such segregationist actions, though FOX doesn't make me think "liberal" on most occasions...