should pot sales in the US be legal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jeyf, Jan 1, 2018.

?

should pot be allowed

1. no

18 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. yes

74 vote(s)
    80.4%
  1. jeyf macrumors 6502a

simple binary question

California started selling today. Other states have been doing it for some time

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

State wise, YES for ALL states!!!!
    Federal wise, Not sure. I'm 50/50 on that.

I'm wary of the possibility of the tobacco industry taking over and adding addictive chemicals, if weed becomes federally legal. I'm also wary on federal control on specific strains.

3. 0007776 Suspended

Sales no, growing it yourself for personal use should be allowed though.

4. koulmj Suspended

koulmj

It needs some regulation as well as your rules i thinks. Like use under the age of 18 needs to be restricted. Distribution needs limits. Studf like that.

5. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Yes. What else are you going to cook your veg in? A wok?

6. koulmj Suspended

koulmj

Yes. If there was no pot in the USA, Wok sales would skyrocket.

7. darksithpro macrumors 6502

For you firearm owners, research what happened in Hawaii, when the islands made it legal.

8. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

As long as the age limit stays at 21 and older to purchase, fine.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 1, 2018 ---
    I saw this report last month. it's clearly a violation of the federal HIPPA laws and our constitutional rights. The police chief is out of her jurisdiction and should be resign immediately for her actions on this IMO.

9. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

This is just another old, tired argument in its death throws on the way to being absolete. The alcohol vs. marijuana argument is an old but valid one. Same vs. cigs.

10. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

I think 21 should be the legal unless they want to also lower the drinking age to 18.

11. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I agree with this but then you cut out the taxes and we know how the Govt just cant live without stealing money from its citizens. ;)

12. koulmj Suspended

koulmj

Yes, being able to tax the busness os sales was a huge backing point for Colorado.

13. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

14. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

Basically. It be nice if it evolved from its roots in high school debates but it doesn't.

that eternal high school debate, the beer drinking jocks vs the skeevy stoners. damn stoners, you all know that stuff is illegal right? And alcohol isn't. well Mr. jock....underage drinking is also illegal. yeah...well...but the booze is legal if we were 21 you smart ass stoner.

Doesn't get better as time and age wears on. why are you smoking that crap? Same reason you and your peeps to celebrate the night are doing several shots of jose and jagr bombs.

Well yeah but this is legal. Well at least in a few states...so is Mary jane now.

I see this growing in time, no pun intended. There will be 2 states leaders at some convention/meeting socializing. One is holding the course...not giving into them stoners. the other said screw it...put it to vote and it passed.

Tom, man its hard keeping a budget you know. Bad winter, DOT's budget no where near what we projected for snow storm cleanup and road repairs...rough times you know I am sure.

Actually...I don't. Our taxes on pot sales gave a nice boost and when our DOT needed more money for all those snow storms....we had it. Was nice for a change actually.

you don't say....

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

It's okay though. California banned mail order ammo sales, ammo importation and now you have to buy ammo with a back ground check.

16. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I agree 100%, as long as this means each state decides. If it means each state shall make recreational weed legal then I 100% disagree.

17. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

It shouldn't have been illegal in the first place.

One of the rare conspiracy theories to which I've found myself subscribing is the idea that Big Oil deemed it necessary to villainize pot (they supposedly funded the movie Reefer Madness) and make it illegal to grow or harvest hemp. Hemp was the better alternative to cotton -- easier to grow, easier to harvest -- for making clothing and other fabric goods, but "Big Oil" wanted to sell synthetic fibers like Nylon and Dacron instead.

"What does hemp have to do with it?" some people may ask. "Well, you can't tell hemp apart from smoke-able marijuana easily enough, so the whole family of plants should be made illegal," was the argument.

18. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I voted yes, but as noted above, it should not be a blanket yes.

I think it should be removed from the CSA Schedule and treated like alcohol, but letting states decide what level of use they want. But like the current debate over traveling with guns, someone from one legal state to another should be able to pass through a non-legal state without worrying about being arrested.

I personally think alcohol creates more damage to society that weed does/would. I know some will disagree.

19. USAFA2008, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

USAFA2008 Suspended

USAFA2008

And tax the **** out of it
    I didn't see this but I just looked it up and if it's true then she shouldn't just resign she should be criminally charged for violating HIPAA. However ATF Form 4473 in section 11e asks "Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance? Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal Law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medical or recreational purposes in the state where you reside. Since it is illegal at the federal level and a question on ATF Form 4473 I have no problem keeping pot smokers away from guns but the way the police chief did it is criminal.

20. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

This is a clear case where possession should be legal in all States as a Federal standard, but States should have the ability to prohibit stores or even large quantities, say over a pound or whatever is deemed proper for personal use, within reason. :)

21. Herdfan macrumors 6502

So is your wanting to keep pot smokers away based on it being federally illegal or because pot smokers shouldn't have access to guns.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Legalize it federally, tax it 20% with the taxes strictly earmarked to pay down debt.

23. USAFA2008 Suspended

USAFA2008

It is due to pot being federally illegal and it matching up to the description on the 4473.

24. AsherN macrumors 6502

^^^ This.

What is happening now makes it dangerous to be in business selling pot in States where it is legal as it has to be a completely cash business since financial institutions are Federally regulated.