should pot sales in the US be legal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jeyf, Jan 1, 2018.

?

should pot be allowed

1. no

18 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. yes

74 vote(s)
    80.4%
  1. Act3, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

Act3 macrumors 68000

on some antidepressant prescription pill with possible suicidal side effects yet can have a gun is perfectly fine by the law

society is a mess

It seems like Uncle Sam would rather have folks kill their livers

2. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Let’s just make this simple:

Today states have the power to legalize weed if they choose to do so.

The Federal government still has weed as a scheduled drug and can prosecute individuals under Federal law. That’s it.

If the Federal government chooses to unscheduled weed then each state can decide to legalize it if they wish, just as they can do today.

Your argument is that the federal government should mandate the state to legalize. That should be a violation of state rights. Why should a state be mandated under federal law? In your mind, what is wrong with the residents of a state to determine the laws they feel are in their interest so long as it does not violate the Constitution?

Do you feel we should abolish states then? Good grief, man.

3. Act3 macrumors 68000

same argument can be made on why should any individual be mandated under federal law? Why is there any federal laws? Maybe those laws should just apply to foreign relations and leave domestic laws up to the states?

4. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I honestly don’t think you understand this topic or our form of government. No offense intended.

5. Act3, Jan 2, 2018

Act3 macrumors 68000

no offense taken, I understand it fully, maybe you just need to see it from a different point of view. Like the current system really isn't the best, i.e. a system that can put one cousin in prison in Florida while the other cousin is smoking weed sort of freely in Colorado. All while living in the same country, paying the same federal taxes. Yet Uncle Sam can put them both in jail.

6. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Then fight for your state to legalize it.

7. Act3 macrumors 68000

I vote yes every time it comes up. So far it has just been for medical use.

8. USAFA2008 Suspended

USAFA2008

I am all for that.

9. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

It's simple, the Feds are stepping back from states that have legalized it. If you don't like that, write your congressman.

10. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I have no issue with a requirement to have insurance. That makes sense. And I don't believe you have a blanket Constitutional right to carry hence I’ll concede the difficulty of drawing a line. :)

That line must be drawn somewhere and it’s currently defined by Federal Law, but where are or should those limits be? Should some States be allowed to have slaves? What about discrimination in the workplace based on gender, race, or sexual orientation? Just mentioned as an illustration of the challenges in determining where commonality of laws should exist at the Federal level.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 2, 2018 ---
    That’s the current standard for alcohol, correct? But, it’s funny that you would put it that way. :)

11. dogslobber macrumors 68030

dogslobber

Alcohol and marijuana should both be 18 years old to purchase. This 21yo thing is foolish and artificial.

Separately of the pot issue, if the people voted for it then it should be allowed. I see certain states where the people voted for it are dragging their feet to implement the will of the people.

12. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Thanks to the wonders of the internet, if you find yourself in need of supplies, you don't even have to drive to get 'em:

upload_2018-1-2_20-28-47.png

13. dogslobber macrumors 68030

dogslobber

This is a false dichotomy as there are laws already to handle being under the influence of a controlled substance.

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

IIRC, there are several US cities and Counties that have made the Age for Tobacco purchases 21. Federally, it is 18. Hypothetically, the Fed could legalize Pot under certain standards - but States would still be able to legislate variations as they saw fit. I am not sure I understand your argument...

15. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I believe standardization of such things as recreational drugs across State lines as legal or illegal is a good thing. States still get to decide important issues though Federal representation. Interestingly, take a lesson from prohibition where neither Federal or State laws prevailed. And yes, I do believe States have a regulation role about said recreational drug.
    States regulate but the declaration of legal or illegal should be a Federal responsibility imo.

16. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I don't want to be on the road with some guy coming towards me drunk as hell, so we should make alcohol illegal.

I don't want to be on the road with some guy coming towards me texting, so we should make smartphones illegal.

I don't want to be on the road with some guy coming towards me eating, so we should make drive thrus illegal.

17. AsherN macrumors 6502

The difference is that today, no Federaly regulated industry will touch proceeds from legal MJ sales. Hence even in states where it's legal, it is not only a strictly cash business, but even armoured transports won't carry that money.

18. Gutwrench, Jan 2, 2018

Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Federal government can decriminalize weed as a federal crime. That does not make it legal in any state, it merely no longer makes it a federal crime.

A state can decide to legalize weed or not.

Huntn feels if the Federal government should decriminalize weed they should go even further and mandate each state to legalize it too. I say that is a state decision and not the Federal government’s business to mandate.
    I’m not debating whether the Federal government should decriminalize weed or not. If the Federal government does, the state should not be mandated by the Fed to legalize it. The legalization within state borders should be an issue left to the individual states.

19. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I get your point, but aren't we de-facto at that point now (Fed decriminalization)? Alcohol is Federally legal, yet States choose how to regulate the "how, when and where" quite differently...how would Pot be different?

20. koulmj Suspended

koulmj

21. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

You buying?

22. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

We are thinking exactly the same. I agree. The states could still have a prohibition on alcohol if they so wish. Just as Mississippi did until 1960’s.

Huntn will need to answer why weed should be treated differently. I don’t think it should.

23. AsherN macrumors 6502

Totally agree.

24. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I altered your post as to what I think is appropriate. Would you think my edit fair?

25. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Can you ask him to see what kind of bourbons they have?