should pot sales in the US be legal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jeyf, Jan 1, 2018.

?

should pot be allowed

1. no

18 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. yes

74 vote(s)
    80.4%
  1. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Well, it's no accident that the majority of Americans have tried pot but haven't shot heroin. You were asking why pot should be legal but not other drugs, and relative safety is one big reason why.

As for Denver... an increased number of stoned drivers still has to be compared to the social and financial cost of enforcing prohibition. All in all, we're better off with legalization.

2. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

It think it’s a fair edit but I don’t fully agree. Just because the commission or omission of any act is not a federal offense, does not bar a state from making it illegal.

Here’s a silly oversimplified example. There is no federal law prohibiting parking on Lombard street in San Francisco. That does not prevent California and San Francisco from enacting such an ordinance. It’s a choice made by the residents of San Francisco and California.

If the Federal government decriminalized weed eliminating it as a federal crime, it does not automatically make it legal in any state. It is still illegal in the states that have have criminized it. It just means a violation of weed cannnot be prosecuted at the federal level. Until the states repeal the law its remains a state law.

I have voiced the opinion weed should remain a state issue while some feel the Federal government should be able to mandate it being legal in every state by edict like Moses descending Mount Sinai. No, thank you. States have sovereignty too.

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I think we're dancing around the same tune from different perspectives. I'm not even sure what decriminalization would look like at a Federal Level (unless it is a change of Classification). I think potential federal guidelines would be more in order - like the speed-limit or the age-of-consent or the minimum-wage. States are still free to adjust to their voters preferences, but within a framework that doesn't allow too draconian of a response. I mean, just reclassifying Pot from Schedule 1 to Schedule 3-5 would be a huge start Federally - I'm not sure Federal Legalization would ever be necessary or desired.

4. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

I voted no. No one ever died from not using pot. People have and will continue to die from using it.

5. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

We may be.

6. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Legal in all ways.

I also support the legalization of all others drugs, too. If someone wants to ruin their life, they should have every legal right to choose to do so.

7. Zenithal macrumors 603

Funeral home lobby should be chomping at the bits for that.

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

And if someone wants to start a business selling a product that ruins people’s lives (see the Sackler family and Purdue Pharma), they should ya e the right to do so, too.

9. Herdfan macrumors 6502

You are really going to need sources on this because it is simply not accurate. Not saying no one EVER has, but the number is very, very low. Probably more per day from alcohol than in recorded history from cannabis.

10. Herdfan macrumors 6502

11. jeyf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Denver has had legal pot sales for sometime. I can say two things about this:
    -i do not use pot or alcohol. Just me.
    -Pot sales has NOT effected my life at all.

one thing worth mentioning:
    is Pot sales has flooded the local business community here with hard cash. For example lease payments are cash. Dont think this is a good thing. Federal Banking laws need to change.

12. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Links please.
    Not even sure what you are referring too.

13. jeyf thread starter macrumors 6502a

14. USAFA2008 Suspended

USAFA2008

Perhaps I will buy stock in funeral homes.
    Considering many medications have off label use and not prescribed for what the medication is intended for that would be a big issue.

15. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

I won't bore you with sources, people have been under it's influence and have died or either killed people in traffic accidents alone.

Making a comparison to other substances is just admitting you are willing to lose lives to this substance. Is there anything wrong with that? Who knows, it may be worth the lost lives to gain revenue to save lives.

16. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I've heard a bit about this, too.

In a sentence: Because federal bank insurance (think FDIC) funds can't be used to cover money generated by federally illegal activities -- which, for now, includes selling pot (right?) -- revenue from pot-selling businesses isn't accepted by banks and often ends up as cash sitting in a safe on the business premises.

This ends up creating extra problems, like making it harder for such businesses to save, invest, and protect their money; and making the stores targets for robbers and thieves who count on the cash being on-site and not deposited in a safer place.

17. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

But remember this: the main reason why States like Colorado and (now) California has legalized it in the first place was because of the massive potential tax revenue. People growing pot for only their personal home consumption will not provide any meaningful sales/tax revenue for the state.

So it's really a catch 22.

18. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Decriminalize possession.

Legalize medical marijuana for select conditions where such treatment is clinically proven.

Don’t allow recreational sales. In my mind the evidence against outweighs any benefits to encourage its use.

19. USAFA2008 Suspended

USAFA2008

I would say that marijuana would affect someone driving much like alcohol or any other drug.
    I wonder what the companies are doing to secure the cash. There was a TV show that had an episode where the marijuana grower's office was broken into and the cash was stolen but I don't recall the name of the show. It seems like this could be a liability to have that much cash on premises.
    Can you explain the difference between decriminalizing possession and recreational sales? I am not trying to be stupid but I want to make sure I understand your post.

20. AsherN macrumors 6502

Don't make it legal to sell. But don't arrest someone for having less than "trafficking" weight on them.

21. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Yes and no. My contention is that right now we are losing X lives to alcohol. If we substitute cannabis for alcohol, the lives lost will be X-Y=Z, which is a lower number. Z is still bad and unacceptable, but better than X.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    It actually doesn't. A couple of reasons for this. First, it does not make you feel invincible or affect judgement nearly to the extent alcohol does. Second, since judgement is not compromised, you tend to know more about your situation and if you make the poor decision to drive, you are at least aware that your reflexes are not at their best and will do what you can to compensate for it. In other words, you can still think clearly, or at least more clearly, it is just your reflexes that are compromised. Alcohol hits both judgement and reflexes. Not an excuse for driving under the influence, but it is not apples to apples.

Decriminalization simply means you don't go to jail. If you get caught with a limited amount (usually an ounce), it gets confiscated and you pay a fine like a traffic ticket, but you will not have a criminal record. It does not legalize it, just removes jail from available punishments.

22. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

I don't think the want of marijuana replaces the want of alcohol and vice versa so I find the substitution angle distorted. You have people that use one or the other, some both. If anything, marijuana usage will increase simply because it is available and that will increase the number of impaired motorists.

23. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

So if it is difficult and expensive to enforce something we should make it legal?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    Agreed, but then again when the feds ended up taking over the marriage reins, I don't remember much backlash.

24. Herdfan macrumors 6502

25. MacAndMic macrumors 6502