should pot sales in the US be legal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jeyf, Jan 1, 2018.

?

should pot be allowed

1. no

18 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. yes

74 vote(s)
    80.4%
  1. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

In the case of a comparatively safe substance that the majority of Americans have already used, yes.

In the case of a highly addictive and lethal substance, no. That was your original question about why legalization should apply to pot but not other drugs.

While we're on the subject of difficult and expensive things to enforce, William F Buckley once wrote a great essay outlining why conservatives should support legal marijuana. I hope you decide to read it: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/211327/free-weeds-william-f-buckley-jr

2. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Let me ask you this ...

- Have you ever tried it? Talking as an adult, in a nice controlled environment, with very high quality product?
    - If you haven't tried it, was that because of the legal status, and if that was changed, would you try it?
    - Are you basing your opinion of it (assuming you haven't experienced it directly) on the stereotypical "pot smoker"? (see my post about my highly successful/educated/contributing peers who do occasionally use it).

Also keep in mind, you don't have to smoke it, it can be vaped (which greatly reduces the "smoking" side effects), or consumed through all sorts of non-inhaling mechanisms like mints or cookies.

Just curious when I see a post like this - I'm not being judgemental - but I do think there's often times quite a bit of preconceived notions about marijuana, a few of which are just hearsay / passed down as truth.

3. tshrimp, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

This is a difficult one for me as pot is advertised as "not that addictive", and people have tried to tell me this many times. However, I know of many many people (family, etc) who are addicted to marijuana. Even to the point to where they are told all they have to do is pass the drug test after a set time (knowing the date) and legal charges will be dropped, and they just can't do it. I guess this hits too close to home for me to support. Looks like I am in the minority :).
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    Problem is...In the Denver area I see people smoking it in a "non controlled environment" all the time. From the Walmart parking lot to the guy at the Chick-Fil-A drive through who blew it in out his window into my face. People typically don't do smart things when they are high, taking that poor judgement to the local Jack-In-The-Box trying to get a cheap munchy meal.

4. Herdfan macrumors 6502

That is a shame, but I am going to posit that there is a mental addiction, not a physical addiction. In other words, they want it from a mental standpoint, not a physical one. Physical addiction with cannabis is rare, not unheard of, but rare.

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Pretty much exactly what AsherN said. People caught with under a reasonable amount of marijuana simply are fined for possession, not jailed. In fact, previously in Massachusetts the one of tickets for marijuana possession were on the same form as fare evasion on the MBTA (public transit system).

As for hard drugs (heroin, meth, crack/cocaine, etc) I absolutely do not think theee drugs should be decriminalized like marijuana. That said, I think the focus of legal consequences should be more on addiction treatment and developing one’s future life opportunities than jailing them and other such punishments that do.

It really shouldn’t be that complicated.

6. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Tried it, not my thing.

7. jeyf thread starter macrumors 6502a

has been legal here for some time and reefer madness has not taken over Denver.
    there was an initial interest to buy when it first became legal

but at this point the peeps who used pot still use pot. there is really no big change

8. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Fair enough.

9. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Excerpt from this article. https://www.factcheck.org/2016/08/unpacking-pots-impact-in-colorado/

10. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I assume you read this part of the article that you didn't quote:

11. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

I did read the uncomfirmed data but I think you have to admit, with the stats, it would be naive to deny any link in the increased accidents and deaths. Just because a substance and it’s level presence is difficult to pin point, you can’t throw out common sense data.

12. jeyf, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018

jeyf thread starter macrumors 6502a

FAKE DATA
    about 2014 -> 15 is when POT sales just started in Denver
    -not enough time for a proper data sample
    -people stood in line to try the junk, not the case today
    -over time there has been big effort to tweak local laws and enforcement to insure safety & $uccess

i dont use the POT and also dont drink.
    This is a standard I set for myself so dont care but my issue is:

seems Americans really like their pot:
    social conservatives like Trump and or Jeff Scession's recent crack down (just today 010318) will NOT work to their advantage. Colorado citizens have accepted the new laws. The negative effects of POT sales have been made transparent or just dont exist. Prohibition was repealed and marijuana laws will go the same rout.

i think its fantastic news; today's Scessions crack down on POT.
    Keep Colorado liberal.

13. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

What’s the impact of Sessions repealing the Obama relaxation of weed prosecution? Christ. Fight the battles worth fighting.

14. Herdfan macrumors 6502

This will be interesting. It seems he will be leaving it up to the US Attorney's in those states to decide.

I can see several possibilities here. USDA's are usually political animals and many have higher aspirations such as Governor (our last USDA did run, but lost). So are they really going to go against the will of the voters that they may want to face in the future?

Also, what happens in states like CA that has 4 USDA's. Can you imagine the mess if the Southern CA USDA decided to go after it full bore, but the other 3 did nothing?

Speaking of mess, in Colorado cannabis legalization is now written into their State Constitution. It is legal and there is nothing that can be done about that short of a statewide vote to undo the legalization. So it is there to stay as I don't see the voters, especially the ones on the fence in the first place now seeing the sky didn't fall, voting to undo it. So if the CO USDA goes after it full bore, the shops and growers may get shut down, but it is still legal in the eyes of the state. So all controls would be gone and it would be the wild west of cannabis with no legal oversight. Probably not a good situation.

I think Congress is going to have to do something this year.

15. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

It’s as if the GOP purposely picks dumb hills to die on.

16. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Wonder if Custer wrote the GOP's playbook.

17. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I’m unclear on whether this is really a GOP decision or Trump or Sessions. All I can say is my initial reaction on this move by Sessions isn’t favorable.

18. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

This much ^^^^^ helps illustrate why the US has lost its leadership role among the rest of the world.

The fact that nobody appears to be on the same page, with big declarations being made with no apparent coordination, reduces credibility to a shambles.

Imagine if your company manager, and his boss, and another department's boss, were all making different choices and policy rules. Would you listen to any of them? Heck, imagine if Mom and Dad enforced rules differently (Mom: "Can you shovel the snow off the driveway, please?" Dad: "Oh, he doesn't need to shovel, it'll melt next week anyway.").

What we learned at the middle-manager level at my old job was, we can have our arguments and disagreements among ourselves behind closed doors, but in front of our juniors, we stick with the decisions and principles that were already made. Never give them a chance to play "But Daddy Said" games.

19. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I’m guessing a Trump/Sessions collaboration but just a guess. I’ll wait to hear what Trump says.

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I have no issues with legalizing it across the board as long as businesses can continue to drug screen and exclude those if they want who fail the screening.

21. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

It should be, but it won’t be. Marijuana laws are the easiest way to fill prisons, and the private prison system is set up to where they get hosed if they don’t have a certain number of inmates.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

What if you do not have the space or technical know-how to grow it yourself? Picture an elderly person where marijuana helps but due to their living situation or health they cannot grow it. What are they supposed to do?

And why treat marijuana different than alcohol? Do you expect people to make moonshine in their backyards instead of buying a sixpack at the store too?

I think we should expand on your question....why chose alcohol over other things? Why have we decided that alcohol can be served not only in bars, but even restaurants, grocery stores and gas stations? It's not like there aren't ill effects, addiction or danger associated with it. Yet it is sold all around us and no big deal. Not just in the U.S. either, but most everywhere on the planet. So why have we regarded that as okay, but not marijuana?

So for consistency, you are in favor of restoring prohibition laws against alcohol then? That didn't work out so well the first time around.

23. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Huh? I don’t think many people are in prison for weed possession.

24. 0007776 Suspended

First get some peer reviewed studies that actually show that marijuana helps with medical conditions, then if those claims hold out I’m good with it being available for sale with a doctor’s prescription. Although the ideal would be for those studies to isolate what compounds in marijuana are actually of medical use and then put them into pills. People don’t grow their own willows to get Asprin, we could do the same thing with Marijuana if it is shown to actually have medical benefits.

25. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I agree. If the benefit was isolated and delivered by pill removing the high element, the medical marijuana movement would die on the vine. Lolol. I crack myself up.