should racism be legal?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by NewGenAdam, Apr 12, 2011.

1. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

I don't for moment think so, but I've always been confused a British organisation called the National Black Police Assocation which permits only those with black ethnicity to become full members.

Isn't that racism? To discriminate against the white majority, and prevent their joining?

I do think such organisations are valuable in society: organisations serving and promoting minority groups. But I see no reason why members may only be from that minority itself. Perhaps it is felt that people from beyond the minority may not represent it very well. But in my experience many people may like to "enhance racial harmony", irrespective of ethnicity.

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

There may come a time where racism is fully banned. Here in the US we have a congressional black caucus in our government, which I feel should not exist. Another problem we have are "black leaders" who in actuality are nothing but disgusting bigots, like al sharpton. As if black people need leaders...you know, because they're all the same...

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If it is a private organization or club, they can do as they please.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

In america, racism is legal, and should be, least one day freedom of speech is so stifled that anyone who isn't, say, blonde haired, blue eyed, be subject to scrutiny.

I don't know about Britain, but what I do know is this: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

5. ender land macrumors 6502a

racism is more or less tolerated against a majority (at least in the USA).

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

You mean Mestizos?

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Affirmative action has it's pitfalls. You should ask such organizations why they feel the need to segregate themselves along racial lines. Let's hope the day comes when such institutions are discarded.

8. ender land macrumors 6502a

WASPs.

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

That is a majority?

10. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I don't think opinions should be illegal. It rings a nasty little bell labeled "thought crime" in my mind.

11. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

If you want to outlaw racism, you may as well outlaw stupidity, loutishness, poor manners, alcoholism, and ill tempers.

:rolleyes:

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think what the OP really means to talk about is discrimination, not racism.

13. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

What you're describing isn't racism, so there's no issue. It's impossible for those who have been oppressed by the majority to be racist - they don't have the power.

At least, that's what I was taught by my fancy college education.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Anybody can be as racist as they want in their own private warped little mind and world.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol yes it is

16. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Seriously? This is seriously what college is teaching? Holy cow am I glad I bailed when I did...

So what about a group of hispanic men that jump a korean man simply for being korean? Both groups are minorities.

What about a poor white woman living in Inner City DC having "cracker ho" or something like that yelled at her by a group of black women?

?????????

17. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Again, those are majorities singling out a minority. You don't expect a group of hispanic men to jump a korean man if there's more korean's than hispanic's on the street corner. Likewise, blacks are the majority in a black ghetto. It's just that, when you look at the country as a whole, they are the minority.

18. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Ok. What about a white woman walking through a white neighbor hood. Passes a hispanic man who beats her because she is white.

Not racist?

:confused:

19. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

He's just speaking truth to power. It's a violent outburst caused by the man's oppression by the white majority. It's unfortunate that a woman was beat up, but we must consider the root cause - whites.

Seriously, I had to write papers on this crap. It's pretty awesome. I took it as a lesson on how you can win any argument by changing the rules.

20. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Lucky for you, you got to help finance the mess that is the University system :)

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think Bumblees will beg to differ :p

22. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

By the end of this year I will have paid the final payment on my loans... I can't believe it's been 15 years! Worst investment I ever made.

Seriously, one of the most eye-opening things when I entered college was learning that I did *not* possess a liberal, open-minded view of race relations. I grew up in a white neighborhood, with nice liberal white teachers, always telling us how we are all equal. I always admired Martin Luther King, Jr.'s speeches when I heard them.

I thought that was the prevailing view until I got to college. I was so naive I wanted to run up to the first black guy I saw, give him a hug, and tell him I understand. Ha, not really, but you know what I mean. Guilty white liberal kid. I was stunned by the violent reaction I got before I'd ever opened my mouth.

Wow. The whole thing was just turned on its head. Nobody talked about true equality as a goal - it was all about power, grievance, reparations... and everything I learned just sounded shockingly racist. I was told that was just how whites see things. Rookie mistake!

23. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

After I had to write a paper on "Myth America- How The American Dream has been and always will be a Myth" I conveniently forgot to sign up for the next semester's classes.

24. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Great title!!

That kind of stuff changed my views on a lot of things. I never could understand. I've been beat down a lot in my life. I started with zero - paycheck to paycheck household, nobody saved anything for my college. I got loans. I've gone into debt a couple times, but pulled myself out of it and put together a pretty good career.

I thought I did all that myself, but apparently it's my "white advantage" (first heard that used by Al Gore). That's just distasteful to me. Now, maybe if my skin had been a different color I would have had a harder time and not been given a fair shake in interviews and such. I can accept that. But would it really have been *impossible* to overcome, or just an additional challenge?

It just depresses me to see people living their lives with the belief that absolutely nothing is within their control, and the only way to succeed is to wrestle the property of other people away from them by massing political power. That's just a damn depressing way to live - thinking you've got no chance, no hope, nothing to contribute or gain on your own.

25. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah - to clarify, I mean racism in practice should be illegal. Holding racist views, however distasteful, should be legal as we should be free to hold our own opinions as long as we don't harm others by them.

It is the distinction between prejudice and discrimination.

I am not racist in mind or practice, for the record, and personally argue against anybody who is either!