Should same-sex couples be allowed to adopt children?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by cycocelica, Sep 12, 2007.

1. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

This class was risen today in one of my sociology classes and I thought it would be interesting to hear what others have to say. So I ask MR...

Should same-sex couple be allowed to adopt children?

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Of course they should. Just because one person is born the way they are doesn't mean specifically that the children they raise will be homosexual as well.

edit: I know people will argue that homosexuality is generally a lifestyle that an individual chooses to live.

Did you choose to be heterosexual?

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

of course they should.

i think the better question would be why wouldn't we allow same-sex couples to adopt? i see no valid answers.

4. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Yes, they should. Why shouldn't they be able to?

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Well, they do over here in the UK... with the occasional problem; the most-publicised and recent one was due to extremely poor vetting of the couple by adoption services in the first place.

Close friends of mine in New Zealand are two lesbians bringing up children, with no problems at all.

How did the discussion in the class go?

6. bartelby macrumors Core

7. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Yes. A loving parent is a loving parent. Of course there should be high standards for adoptive parents regardless of whether there is one parent adopting, two parents adopting, and regardless of whether the two are of the opposite or same sex. A child knows what a loving parent is; that's what matters.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The debate would be does a child need a father/mother figure in his/her life growing up that a same sex couple can't provide.

9. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I think they should as long as they are loving people. Which, given the fact that they are going through the complex procedures in order to adopt, they most likely are.

I'm much more concerned about heterosexuals that become parents without putting any thought into the matter.

Unfortunately, the needed father/mother figures aren't necessarily a given in a heterosexual relationship that produces a child, either.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What is to say that if 2 homosexuals could have kids that they would not put any thought into it either.

Just because 2 people can have a kid doesn't mean they are fit parents.

11. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Which was the point.

A heterosexual couple can go out and get pregnant/have a child without much difficulty. Homosexual couples do not have such an easy time conceiving and having children.

If the adoption process does not sufficiently vet the parents then it doesn't matter if the couple are the same sex or opposing sexes. Why should any couple who prove that they have thought the process through and have proven themselves to be fit parents be denied the joys of parenthood just because they happen to be the same sex?

You can argue all you want about male/female role models, but there are plenty of children who grow up just fine in single parent households, why can't a household be headed by two adults of the same sex?

12. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Yes, but because the homosexuals would be going through drawn out process of paperwork, etc...they are more likely to think their decision through. Last time I checked, a homosexual couple can't obtain a child through a cheesy pick up line, a quick lift of the skirt and a couple of gyrations against an alley wall.

13. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I would ask my professor why they would even ask such a question.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its a sociology class, likely asked because its a social issue and it deviates from 'social norms' as they like to say.

15. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I don't think homosexual couples should have to go through any more scrutiny than heterosexual couples. Or for that matter, single homosexuals wishing to adopt. But sometimes I am amazed by what sorts of bad parents were allowed to adopt in the first place.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You can also argue the reverse that kids that were raised by a single parent had a harder time.

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I was raised by a single parent, I don't think I had any harder time than any of my friends...

Are we going to start forcing single parents to re-marry or at least allow someone of the opposite sex to move in? or maybe they should be forced to put their kids up for adoption?

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think it is a case by case basis. Some kids might fair better then others. Some might need more nurturing.

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i think it depends on the parent, and their attitude and the manner in which things ended, etc. too many factors to name.

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You could ask, but I believe it's a valid question because society asks the same question.

Any couple who can provide love and preparation for real life should be allowed to adopt. I'm not sure about single people because they're generally so busy doing everything and I'm also not certain about parents of a different race/culture because of my own experience.

21. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

So how does this:

become any sort of argument in favor of or against adoption by same sex couples?

There are plenty of children adopted and conceived via conventional means that are denied either a father/mother figure due to a parent being removed from their lives. Should we remove them from their remaining parent to find them a "happy hetero home"?

If it's a case by case situation then adoption by same sex couples is also a case by case situation which all adoptions are. I wouldn't want an unfit hetero couple adopting anymore than I'd want an unfit homo couple adopting, at the same time I don't think any fit couple should be denied the chance to adopt based on the sexes of the couple.

22. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I'm comfortable with the idea. It's no less ideal than any other family situation--it can work out OK or it can work out badly on a case-by-case basis. The only concern I would have regards the question of having quality role models of both genders, but then again hopefully parents of all sexual orientations would realize that it takes a village to raise a child--in which case the issue of role models is a non-issue.

23. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Sure, as long as they have to go through all of the crap that heterosexual couples have to when we want to adopt. Because I just wouldn't want anyone to be spared all of that fun paperwork. :rolleyes: