Should social media check be required to get a gun license?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, Dec 4, 2018.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I am not a gun advocate but I would never support this legislation. We all get passionate about things we agree/disagree with online, IMO this would be a terrible idea.

From USAToday
    ALBANY, N.Y. – Should authorities be able to deny handgun licenses for hateful tweets?

A New York lawmaker is raising the question with a bill that would require police to scrutinize the social media activity and online searches of handgun license applicants, and disqualify those who have published violent or hateful posts.

State Sen. Kevin Parker says he hopes his proposal sparks discussion about how to balance public safety and online privacy. The Brooklyn Democrat noted that mass killers often provide warning signs through their social media posts, as in the case of the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting suspect, who ranted online that Jews were “children of Satan.”

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. raqball macrumors 68000

I'll get some blowback from my conservative friends here but sure why not... I am not opposed to the idea as I subscribe to the thought that if you have nothing to hide, have at it.... For all I care they can come and inspect my sock drawer as well..

Deny for hateful tweets / posts? I guess it would depend on what the hate speech was... But generally, I'd be fine with social media being included in BG checks...

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

MAGA<<<<<<<< hateful tweet, no gun for you.
    no thanks.

as said before, don't care if you are part of antifa/blm/bpp/kkk/proud boys/democrat party. if you can pass the BG check buy your gun.

5. raqball macrumors 68000

I'm gonna hafta disagree with the quoted portion here.... They should be banned from gun ownership as should known and affiliated gang members....

I don't think KKK, BLM, Antifa, Proud Boys ect have any biz with weapons.. Their hate speaks loud and clear.. Give em a bullhorn and let them monger onwards..

6. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I think it sets a bad precedent, how many of us would want to be held accountable a twitter fight for the rest of our lives? I understand if one is making death threats or something though.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Ok - so if you're twitter feed is filled with threatening language or intimations that you plan on shooting up a school - you shouldn't be denied purchasing a gun. Really?

8. raqball macrumors 68000

Agree... I'd only be down if it uncovered a plot (school, church ect shooting) hate speech, racially motivated threatening type posts ect..

9. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

pray/say/tell WHO determines what is "hateful"???
    if a woman gets beat by her ex and she tweets "next time I am going to shoot that Mfer", and said worthles Mfer says she is going to kill her because how dare she defend herself, should she be denied a gun purchase and be at the mercy of the crazy ex? restraining orders are nothing more than a piece of paper.......
    --- Post Merged, Dec 4, 2018 ---
    thank you, gazillion keyboard warriors that say stupid regrettable stuff on the internet, you should NOT lose your rights over it.

just like the NSA/Patriot act , once in place what STOPS them from expanding it as they see fit?

11. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

So many social media accounts, lost in a tragic boating accident.

12. raqball macrumors 68000

While I don't have an issue with social media being included in BG checks I also agree with this and it does cause me pause...

I've said it before but will say it again. Neither side wants to budge an inch and the anti 2nd crowd getting an inch will cause them to want a mile... Which I am not down for...

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The problem is policing it and who decides what speech disqualifies you? We live in a world of safe spaces, triggers, micro-aggressions, and bias response teams. One side of the political spectrum is at a cross roads with the idea of free speech and they're the ones who hate guns the most.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

HOW many people have different names on their social media accounts? hell HOW will they KNOW you HAVE a social media account unless you disclose it? are they going to have you hand over your phone?
    about 85 million gun owners in the U.S.
    can you please tell me WHO is going to check it ? how far are they going back? do we have the man power to have someone sit in front of a PC going over social media post? .what if said person does NOT report their social media accounts? what if said person has something like
    [​IMG]
    AND the guy/girl determines this extremist wants to arm rioters and denies them the right to keep and bear arms, how many lawsuits are we going to see because of it?

come on now, this is nothing more than feel good legislation that is impossible to implement. no thanks.

15. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

^ This. Ever feel like your post was unfairly treated by a mod who may have a differing view than yours? You can imagine the teams at FB or Twitter just sitting in a room with the authority to reprimand based on their own perception of the topic. IMO you need very clear and legal guidelines to follow with oversight.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

If only there was machine learning, AI, NLP and other tools available to quickly scan twitter accounts. Imagine the possibilities.

But thanks for "proving" the main issue. No matter how many potential solutions or attempts at keeping guns out of the hands of those that should NOT have them from either side - there will always be those who just refuse to. budge at all nor come up with their own.

17. raqball macrumors 68000

Perhaps but I am not opposed to it.. I may be opposed depending on the wording but I have no issue with hate group members being excluded, online hate manifestos being found and statements about shooting up joint a), b), or c) being discovered...

I'd have to wait and see the verbiage before deciding but I am generally not opposed to the idea of social media being included...

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Unless it is limited to outward threats towards a group of people or an individual, I say hell no. Someone arguing on Twitter that a man is a man will ultimately get lumped in there.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

1.imagine the lawsuits............. think you can afford those?
    2. I don't have a problem with BG checks for ALL purchases. but thanks for jumping to conclusions that suit you
    wording and conditions are subject to change at the GOVTs whim.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

never said you had a problem or not with BG checks for ALL purchases. And the conclusion is valid - if not about you specifically, then in general. You've been in these forums long enough. Seen a lot of the 2A threads.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

not one more inch.....................

there are already plenty of laws and regulations on the books, how about those get enforced? no need for more.

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Well the issue is using the 1st amendment to go after peoples 2nd amendment rights, why don't we take it all the way and to say the hell with the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th as well?

The majority of gun owners are open to hearing ideas without one side making criminals out of them. Again, the democratic party/liberal/left in this country have been trying damn hard to shrink the overton window and using something like this to take peoples guns away is borderline offensive. I'm not even a gun nut (you've seen my previous posts on the matter), but the left has this idea that they've spread faster than crabs on shore leave that NO ONE should ever be offended, I can't imagine why gun owners would play the "not one more inch" card here.

23. Rhonindk, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018

Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Time limit? Or do you also include things that may no longer be applicable?
    People change.

Social Media BG checks ... Mine field.

24. raqball macrumors 68000

Not sure what the answer is.. Some on the left (the most vocal) want the 2nd abolished. Some want serious restrictions. Some on the right won't budge an inch because they believe (as do I) that if you give the anti 2nd crowd an inch they will want a mile or more...

My point is IF a social media search keeps one person from getting a gun and shooting up a school then it worked. I fully understand the left will want more, more, more and that's a serious concern. I also understand there would need to be strict guidelines about what type of speech / postings disqualifies someone and for how long.

I'd at least be interested in hearing the proposal and can base my final opinion on it from there...

25. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I don't know about this one, first some good people say some awfully stupid stuff to friends for a laugh, or support or just general wanton venting. But if there's a history of repeated statements about doing harm to themselves or others then yeah it's within the social interest to keep guns away from them.