Should speed limits be increased?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by G51989, Jul 9, 2014.

?

Should the speed limit be increased?

1. Yes

50 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. G51989, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/22/stateline-speed-limit/2575047/

Should speed limits be increased?

I think yes. This is not 1977 anymore.

The average modern car is easily capable of going 90-100mph with no mechanical difficulty.

People already drive 80-95 anyway on most interstates and highways.

So why not just increase the speed limit?

I would support it, I am sick of people in slow eco cars clogging up the the left lane. Go 75, or get out.

Germany seems to have massive success with very high suggested speed limits and in some cases no speed limits at all.

Why can't we?

Who actually drives 65?

Boring people.

And who actually pulls people over doing 70?

Cops looking for a payday, it has nothing to do with safety.

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I have no problem with the current speed limits. If you really need to go that much faster, leave earlier. What we really need is for law enforcement to crack down on those that violate the speed laws. That money could be used to improve the roads, bridges and other infrastructure.

When I was younger, I may have broken a few speed laws. Then I grew up.

3. G51989, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014

G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Although I've heard stories of drivers getting ticket for going only about 5mph over the limit, most and myself never experienced that. Most speed tickets are for obviously speeding way above the limit.

Being that said ...... I would have probably said no, but here in NY they are in the process of putting speed cameras all over. And to add on to that, I think the just lowered the speed limit on non highway roads to 25mph. In Manhattan I can understand that. But for the outer boroughs, that's ridiculous. Go only 25mph in Queens or Bklyn, and you'll probably get hit from behind and soft drinks thrown at your car.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Conscientiousness is boring?

6. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Increasing the speed limits may provide a small modicum of relief with regard to the over-population issue confronting the planet.

Bringing back Drivers Education in High Schools together with accessible Family Planning, readily available contraception and sex education would all provide for a more pleasing experience in society, far more than faster highway speeds.

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Pfft. I'm not. While I'm hardly a reckless driver, I almost always seem to go 10 miles over the limit no matter where I'm at. It's not something I do to buck trends or be a rebel, it just seems that every road is marked 10 miles below what I consider a comfortable speed.

On the open interstate, I'm going at least 85, and usually keeping up with everyone else on the road.

8. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

I think we need some basic vehicle safety inspections before raising the speed limit. I recently did some suspension work on my car. I'm amazed at how much more stable the car is at speed with some simple replacement parts. All I did was replace two lower control arms w/ ball joints (because the bushings were worn out and they're not available separately) and two stabilizer bar outer link kits. After the work I got the car aligned. It's amazing how much more sure-er the car feels at all speeds. So a safety inspection that involves checking the suspension, steering, brakes, and tires would go a long ways towards improving safety for people traveling on highways and rural roads.

9. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Slow.....

Still slooooooooooooooow :p

(mind you, my current car won't do more than 115mph anyways)

In order to pull that of safely you'll need:
    - cars maintained to a certain level
    - drivers capable to use their brain
    - roads in proper repair
    - traffic rules that wor at those speeds (use of lanes etc)

Just a little tidbit:
    If your involved in an accident while driving over 80mph (130kmh) on an autobahn your allways assigned partial blame, no matter what.

10. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Your thought process really scares me. Me personally seeing accidents happen due to morons going over the limit reinforces that idea.

How the hell can't you be scared by going that fast? It's not even about "skill" any longer, you might be able to handle the car but what about the other driver? There was recently a big thing about how foreigners were the cause for nearly 600 car accidents here and these people probably thought the same as you. Of course I'm not saying speeding is the only reason for the crashes but it is an important factor as well.

Source- http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11269335

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I actually disagree with this.

From my time in Australia, which while it was 20 years ago, still holds true today:

So like Montana, they have basically two areas where the speed limit exceeds 80mph, both of those in the Northern Territory.

On my drives down Princes highway from Sydney to Melbourne to Geelong to Warrnambool, speed limit was always 100km/h.

It's even more drilled into their heads from the PSAs they have there (and their PSAs are brutally honest; they don't hold back/pull punches): Speed kills.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/video-anti-speeding-ad-new-zealand-2997189

This is an PSA that I saw on TV every day down there. Before seeing it, I was foolish and Risky, and sped when I could. After seeing it, never again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIU7R15Vi5I

BL.

12. VI™ macrumors 6502a

Anyone remember when Montana didn't have a speed limit in some places?

I believe that the current speed limits could be bumped up, but even more so, new laws need to be introduced or current laws need to be enforced on how people currently drive. What's dangerous are those people that get out there and hog the left lane, creating bottlenecks. When you're trapped in a pack of vehicles, the situation becomes even more than if you were on a more open, freer flowing roadway. You have people that get in to the left lane and creep by where it can take over a minute to pass another vehicle or they sit there and pace a car in the right lane for five miles. This also happens with big trucks and these people often are not even doing the speed limit. It very rare that I'll see someone move in to the left lane, pass, then move back over. Half the time, they pass and then sit in the left lane.

When I had a faster motorcycle, I would often flash my high beams at people sitting in the left hand lane because all they're doing is blocking traffic. People need to pay more attention to their driving, but unfortunately most people don't.

I think a more rigorous licensing process like they have in Europe would help to get rid of some of the garbage out there on the roads.

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

One weekend, a group of bikers closed on us from behind. They flashed their lights, rode right up on the rear bumper of the Tahoe that I was a passenger in. The speed limit was 70 mph and we were doing around 80 mph. After a couple minutes, the bikers decided to pass us on both the left and right. They swarmed around us... They opened those bikes up.

Suddenly, we saw all of them drop anchor. Brake lights came on, they all moved to the right and slowed down to speed limit. They realized that they had just ridden into a column of about 15 law enforcement vehicles on the way to some training. No blue lights came on but everyone had a good laugh about it later. Well, maybe not the bikers.

14. mr99 macrumors 6502a

I see this far too often

15. VI™ macrumors 6502a

I would give people a chance to get over, but if you're blatantly riding in the left lane when you had the opportunity to already get over or have kept pace with the car in the next lane over, then I'll make my way around.

16. mr99 macrumors 6502a

I do the same and feel that's fair. But it's annoying.

17. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Or the accidents are caused by the morons going below the speed of traffic. If everyone is speeding going 80 MPH lets say in a 65 MPH zone, the few actually going the speed limit are the dangerous ones on the roads (especially since no one follows the rules of the road so those 65 MPH people are in the left lane).

The US highway system was designed to handle faster speeds. It was only during the oil crisis were the limits lowered to 55 MPH in an attempt to reduce gas consumption. So theoretically, the limits can be raised without causing a safety hazard in respect to the road system being able to handle it.

But as you pointed out, drivers tend to suck. The US drivers ed sucks. I didn't have to prove to the DMV I could handle a car at speed. All I had to do was parallel park, K Turn, backup, and stop at a stop sign to get my license. All slow maneuvers.

18. VI™ macrumors 6502a

When I got my license, Drivers Ed wasn't required in WV and there were no real restrictions placed on new drivers via the state, that was a parental thing. I guess I took my test on a day when the trooper doing it didn't want to be bothered because I had to leave the DMV parking lot, drive about 1/2 mile down the road where the limit was 35mph, turn around, and return to the DMV parking lot to parallel park in a spot they set up that was enormous. I proved practically nothing.

Fortunately with my love of cars and driving, I've learned to be a better driver. Starting with video games and learning about driving dynamics, then learning to ride a motorcycle (probably what everyone should be required to do), then doing auto X days and track days, have really taught me about driving and how to handle a vehicle. If I'm ever in a situation where I have to make emergency manuevers, I don't freak out and slam on the brakes or swerve when I'm not supposed to.

Unfortunately, this sort of interested doesn't translate to most drivers, and it's not even all about learning to drive fast, but just being aware. I take a slightly curvy backroad to work and one morning I counted a driver in front of me on or over the yellow line 22 times. They also ran both stop signs. The thing is, this isn't the exception around here, but the norm. Most driver can't take a left hand turn without at least riding on the yellow line if not crossing it and I rarle ever see anyone stop at a stop sign. There's been many times that I've been almost hit because I've stopped at a four way and proceed to try and go when someone approaching from a different direction just slows down a little before trying to accelerate through without actually stopping.

19. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

20. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I took Driver's Education in school but it was really just a formality to fill the requirement. I had got my license two years prior. I didn't really have formal training and I didn't take an actual driving test. Years ago, when I was young, I lived on a farm. We drove tractors from the time our feet could touch the pedals. As we got older, we'd drive trucks on the farm. I remember my grandfather giving us boys a couple lessons but it was mostly to teach us how to shift the "three on the tree".

The day I turned fourteen, my grandfather and I were handling some errands. We stopped at the DMV. I went in to get my farm license, which you could get at 14 back then. I took the written test, which was actually a written test back then and was ready for the driving part. It just started to rain slightly. The conversation between my grandfather and the DMV lady went sort of like this…

"Wolf, I can't give a test in the rain." - DMV Lady.

"Well Debby, what kind of license are you going to give this boy that he can't drive in the rain." - my grandfather.

"No, we can't give a test in the rain." - DMV Lady.

"Now that is the strangest thing. He drove down here fine." - my grandfather

"Smile and look at the camera." - DMV Lady to me.

And I left there with a Farm License. We didn't look at driving as something fun to do, we looked it as just something you had to do as part of the day. One thing that I think farm driving really taught me well was backing up with a trailer. it seemed that we used to haul trailers everywhere we went.

One more humorous story from childhood farm driving. One night, I'm driving. I had a friend with me and we both had dates. A state trooper pulled me over. He had me get out of the car and he's telling me about the stop sign that I didn't quite stop at. He looks at my farm only license, looks in the car… With perfect timing, he said, "Let me guess, milk maids?".

21. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Your thought process also scares me. So if everyone is speeding its ok? That's extremely ignorant of you regarding how many lives are lost due to speeders. As the report shows it's due to that mind set that kills people in my country and I don't like that one bit.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'd love to see the speed limits increased, but not without some changes first:

1) Strict enforcement of slow poke laws. The asshat going 60 MPH in the left lane is going to be even more of a danger to others if the speed limit is 80.

2) Strict enforcement of cell phone laws. The asshat texting and driving is going to be even more of a danger to others at 80 instead of 60. Require handsfree, give expensive tickets and license points when people violate. Same punishment for texting and driving as DUI, because I think they both can be equally as dangerous.

3) Require stringent safety inspections. I see a lot of old jalopys on the road that I'm shocked aren't falling apart and look unsafe at 60, much less 80. Missouri has safety inspections, so I guess some how these cars are slipping through (or on expired plates), but as I understand it, some states don't even have a safety inspection. Driving a car with expired plates because of a failed inspection should come with a hefty ticket and points on your license, maybe the threat of insurance rate increases and eventual suspension will get people to make their cars safe.

That would take care of driver safety issues with a higher speed limit - then there's other road safety issues. Our road infrastructure is terrible, there would need to be huge efforts to repair roads and bridges and maintain them. There's a reason Germany can have stretches of highways without speed limits - half of the population and one of the major political parties doesn't bitch and moan about government waste when money is spent to repave a road or repair a bridge.

----------

Speed kills is one of the biggest myths of them all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think you can make a reasonable case for raising the speed limit on some rural Interstate highways by 5-10 mph. But in 2014 America, raising limits to speeds any higher than that is a recipe for disaster.

In very simple terms, America's drivers, cars, and highways are simply not up to the task of maintaining speeds found on German Autobahnen.

Lets start with the obvious: Many US States do not require periodic mechanical inspections of automobiles in the way that most European nations do. I frequently see cars with bald tires, obviously worn brakes and damaged suspensions - faults that would fail any MOT Inspection. The current US private automobile fleet is an average almost 11 years suggesting many, many vehicles would be unable of maintaining prolonged high-speed operation.

Then there are drivers: US drivers are obviously not familiar with the concept of keeping the left lane clear for faster traffic. The standard for driver instruction and passing drivers' licensing is much, much lower here than it is in most parts of Europe.

Lastly, much of our Interstate Highway system is currently in such a poor state of repair as to make speeds greater than ~ 70 mph uncomfortable, if not highly dangerous. I've actually seen "rough road" signage on sections of I43 in Wisconsin, near where I live. And I suspect the same is true in many other places.

I wish it were possible to raise speed limits on our Interstate system. But absent some major changes in our motor vehicle system - I don't see it happening anytime soon.

24. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

I never have been to your country.

But here, most people speed.

I think the best example of this outside NYC that I've seen personally was Birmingham Alabama, I was driving right past the city doing about 105, and there people flying past me ;)

Commuting to NYC as I do from time to time, speeds of 80-95mph are not uncommon.

25. satcomer, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I got one in Northern Virginia (for doing 37MPH on a down hill slope) in a 35MPH zone after 3 miles of a 40MPH zone. The county cops were pulling everyone over. My fine was $30 so it wasn't worth to take time off work to fight it.

About a month later the county council changed the speed trap to 40 MPH in that section until a light about 50 feet ahead. Then after the light it was down to 30MPH. The county people were upset their family members were caught up in that speed trap, go figure.