Should Ted Kennedy Resign?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

An editorial in the Boston Globe calls on him to resign. (We could also be talking about Robert Byrd).

It's been months since we have seen Kennedy, one of our most powerful senators. I think it's ridiculous that they are allowed to continue to serve when they are clearly unable to carry out their duties.

Also not thrilled with Kennedy's political move to change the way Massachusetts fills any vacancies in the US Senate. He spearheaded the change to take the power away from the Governor to appoint a replacement (Romney was Gov. at the time) and now that a Democrat is back in the Governors mansion, he wants to change it back. Politics at its worst IMO.

Discuss.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think yeah- he probably should resign. It's past the point of him remaining effective. He needs to spend his remaining days taking care of himself and being with people close to him.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I wouldn't have a problem with him staying in office if he is carrying out their duties, but any Senator (or any other elected official) who doesn't do their duties - regardless of whether they're able to - should either go on disability leave (allowing a temporary replacement) or resign, just like at any other job.

If I failed to show up for work for months at a time, I'd be asked to either resign or go out on disability, as the case would warrant.

But if he can, and does, still do the job, I don't see the harm.

I'm with you on this, although I think Kennedy is trying to spin it as "I want my successor named quickly, which our current procedure can't do."

How long until there's talk of a nationwide procedure for replacing a Senator?

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I was hoping we'd have had that discussion after the Blagojevich/Burris debacle.

7. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

A national procedure to replace a senator is a good idea. Take politics out of it. The sitting governor should be required to name a replacement from the same party. The appointed senator should not be allowed to run for re-election when the next election cycle occurs.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The problem with that is you run into the scenario where the outgoing senator and appointee may be Democrats, except the outgoing one is very progressive and liberal, and the appointee is a blue dog, and on issues such as health care reform, there may be huge differences in their beliefs. The people elected a progressive and should get a progressive.

I think the solution to the problem is this: Governors must appoint someone from the same party (yes, you run into the above situation, but keep reading) however, that appointment is temporary as a special election must be held within 6 months. And, to prevent someone from getting an unfair head start from being incumbent, the appointee can not run in the special election.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Why even stipulate that the replacement has to belong to the same party, or to any party at all?

Treat it similarly to the way a Justice gets placed on the Supreme Court: let the Governor appoint a replacement to be confirmed by the state Senate.

10. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Byrd should never have been in office, but I guess every party needs it KKK representative.

As for Kennedy, he needs to let a special election to be held so the people can choose who they want. His political gaming should disgust all Americans. Essentially he wants to fix the election. Then again, what should we expect from a party which is so lily white at times it went so far as to have a sheeted member.

11. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

We here in Massachusetts pray that he gets replaced with another Kennedy.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think it's obscene that a senator or congressman is able to keep their job when terminally incapacitated. Especially when we've entered the era where a sneeze is almost enough to get the average employee fired.

Who was the Ku Klux Klanner who died a couple of years ago? He was barely able to hold his own head up yet he was voting according to his aides' will. Scenarios like that scare me. The last thing we need is real nonogenarian puppets.

13. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Some of those old-time southern democrats are more like republicans.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why, they need to be kicked out of politics all together. Same with the Clintons and Bushs. One family should not have all the political power.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

We have floor age limits for who can serve in the senate, but no ceiling. I for one think its about time some fresh faces start hitting the floor because our average senator is 60 years old. I can't imagine they aren't somewhat out of touch from what is going on in the work force and tech that we have today. Besides the fact that I see half of them sleeping through meetings on CSPAN, looks like a damn funeral home half the time.

16. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Isn't this case more about illness than age? But anyway, what age do you suggest as the ceiling?

17. MTI macrumors 65816

Terms of office are pretty much spelled out in state and federal laws. As for resigning, that's pretty much between the elected official and his constituents.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Age of retirement, 65-67. Age and illness are tied, as you get older you are more prone to sickness.

19. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Ron Paul is well past your ceiling. And some people wanted him for president.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I think his age was one of the reasons he was reluctant to answer if he would run in 2012.

21. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

2012! According to you he should have retired by 1999.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its just an idea, it could be tweaked. ;)

I just don't like seeing people who are half dead running the country.

23. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Yes. I think it's time for the Kennedy clan to permanently fade into the depths of history.

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Not until someone runs against Patrick who is worth a vote.

25. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Forget appointments. If a Senator resigns or quits, there should be a special election held as soon as possible to fill the seat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.