Should the iPhone 5 display be wider?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PostHate, Sep 17, 2012.

1. PostHate macrumors member

Is having a longer screen the best idea? Should it not be wider as well?

Web pages will actually show LESS on them. When used in landscape mode the webpage will be stretched more horizontally then the older iphones, making text and images larger. Because they are larger, and the screen is the same height as the old iPhone (remember that we are in landscape mode right now) less will be displayed and more scrolling will be required.

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

3. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

4. ObsidianBlade macrumors regular

Yes. I was hoping for something closer to the S3. To me, that's the best size in my opinion.

5. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

iPhone is designed for one hand use, the S3 is a little inconvenient for one hand use but not much.

7. PostHate thread starter macrumors member

You didn't read the OP, did you?

8. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

Who's hand...

9. PostHate thread starter macrumors member

I agree that the S3 is too big for many people. I would have liked a 4" screen that was both wider and longer, so that it didn't make web page viewing WORSE than the older iPhones.

10. cbutters macrumors member

To be honest I was hoping for at least a 4.1 inch screen on the iphone5

I think the next step for apple should be offering an iphone XL in addition to the normal models...kindof like the 3DS XL

Both resolutions should be 1280x720...

I think future lineups should go like this:

4.0 inch 1280x720 iPhone6

4.6 inch 1280x720 iPhone6 XL

I don't know why they wouldn't offer different variations of iPhone... just look at their iPod lineup... (Touch, nano, shuffle)

While yes Apple it is nice for a phone to fit in your hand... not EVERYONE HAS THE SAME HAND SIZE!...

11. PostHate thread starter macrumors member

Why would you want the same resolution? The whole point in a bigger display is to fit more on the screen.

12. PhoneI macrumors 65816

if the iPhone 5 screen was that large, I would not be upgrading. Way to big. No desire for a device that large. I have my iPad if I want a large screen device.

13. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I don't think, from a personal standpoint, that viewing the web landscape, even on a wider phone is a good experience. Its a bad experience altogether, so I just don't do it.

Surfing is supposed to be done with one hand in portrait anyways. Just feels better that way. I don't want to hold my phone with two hands in landscape unless I'm playing a game or something.

14. PostHate thread starter macrumors member

I do not agree. Landscape is the natural way to view websites.

I also never saw the law that said "Surfing is supposed to be done with one hand in portrait anyways."

15. Nathan576 macrumors member

its perfect i think, maybe 4.3 would be a little better but the s3 is too big.

16. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Shaq's hand.

[​IMG]

jk. But yeah... this iphone is just fine.. A wider phone would only be for the grip portion.

17. cbutters macrumors member

Why would you want a 3DS XL over a 3DS? they are the same resolution... it makes programming exactly the same, but increases the overall size and readability for larger folks, or people with bad eyes... or just people who like their screens bigger. I don't think there is much benefit in more than 720p at the 4"-5" size.

18. PostHate thread starter macrumors member

I have no clue what you are talking about, this thread is about the iPhone.

There is absolutely no reason to increase a screen size while keeping the same resolution. The ONLY people who may care for this is people who can't see well, and that is NOT the market Apple cares about. Everyone else wants higher resolution with their larger phone to fit more on the screen as well as keep it nice and crisp.

19. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Apparently not, but anyways it was a positive post attempt.

20. cbutters macrumors member

The point with the 3DS XL comment is we have a current gen product from a huge manufacturer that sees the benefit of two different sized screens using the same resolution.

I guess you have never seen a 42" television with 1080p and also a 60" television with 1080p huh?

So if I offered you an iPhone5 at 1136x640 resolution with a 4.0 inch screen, and I also handed you an iPhone5 at 1136x640 that was exactly the same, except a bit larger with a 4.6 inch screen (about the same size as a galaxy s3), you don't think that some people would want the larger one despite the resolution?

21. PostHate thread starter macrumors member

After searching, I believe you mean a Nintendo video game?

If so, that is in NO way comparable to an iPhone that prides itself on it's super high pixel per inch count.

Nevermind the fact that the intended use is MUCH different.

It's apples and oranges...
    Again, apples and oranges...
    No, absolutely not. It would be going backwards. The pixels would be large and the screen would fit the same amount of data on it.

It would be like using one of those remote controls with the huge buttons made for old people.

No normal person would want a HUGE iPhone that still had 4 icons by 4 icons across and still had only a few lines of text on the Message screen. Nevermind websurfing.

22. cbutters macrumors member

not a video game, a console... see:
    [​IMG]

Also, while we may disagree on the actual size of the screen, I think we can both agree, that 1280x720 would be preferable over 1136x640, even if it was in a 4.0" package.

23. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

I would be fine with a 4.3 inch display. I have played with those and they arent too wide for me. I can see them doing that .3 extra in width or whatever and not really having to change much. Personally i have big fingers, and bad eyes. So the bigger and wider the better for me.

24. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

It's the natural way to view website on the COMPUTER. This is not a computer, it's a phone. Sites are designed to be thin in width and long with content (because of so many different resolutions on computers, the industry standard is 940-960px), making it an obvious fit for a portrait phone screen (iPhone auto-resizes content, and developers can also add META tags that throw Headers on the page that tell the content to scale if viewed on a device).

I hate having all that white space on either side of the page on a wide computer screen anyways.

Matter of opinion, I guess. But your original issue won't happen if developers just code their sites correctly, with expanding widths, not heights.

25. cbutters macrumors member

Score one for a larger sized option...

just a note as well... 1280x720 @ 4.6 inches is STILL retina quality PPI (316)