Should the obese pay more to fly?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ThemacNub, Dec 16, 2011.

1. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Do you think its fair that someone who takes up two seats or weighs 400lb should only have to pay for one seat when I weigh 175lb but have to pay extra because my luggage is 10lb over the limit?

Do you think that is too discriminatory or that it should be employed by the airliners as a courtesy to the other passengers?

2. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

I think all seats should be larger, about business class sized. There would be more full flights, but the whole experience would be better for everyone.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Yes they should. If they are allocated a single seat, but take up two, on a full flight nonetheless, what is supposed to happen? There's the case of the poor guy that was reported a few weeks ago where this happened to him, and he ended up having to stand for the entire flight. I work as a flight attendant so every time I step foot on an aircraft the first thing that comes to mind is my own safety and the safety of the passengers. If not just for the fact that they will cause the aircraft to be heavier (much like with excess baggage, which must be paid for), the airline should know exactly how many seats will be used up on the flight and not necessarily just the number of passengers (for example, if you have, say, an A320 with 170 seats, with 170 passengers checked in, but two of those passengers end up taking up more than one seat - what are the two passengers displaced from their seats supposed to do?). Who cares if it's only a single person, if they take up two seats then that means there will be one less seat that another passenger can utilise, therefore they should have to pay for it. I regularly see overweight passengers being unable to even put their tray table down, so after they finish their meal they place their trays in the aisle. This is a safety and evacuation hazard, not to mention if they are that large they are restricting other passengers from moving around if they have to. I see nothing discriminatory about them having to purchase two seats.

4. ThemacNub thread starter macrumors regular

I too agree that the seats should be larger; but I'm sure we can all agree that it will never happen

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

A fat tax, no matter how logical, would be a toxic PR issue. Let Ryanair pave the way first :p

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes. Having more leg room would help as well. Being about 6'2" feet tall, I feel bad for those who are 6'7" and taller when its already uncomfortable for me.

7. torbjoern, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

They can impose an extra charge for obese people and call it a "Green Fee". Think of the environment!! :D

On the one hand, 10 lbs extra on a passenger's body entails far less extra costs for the airline than 10 lbs extra weight of a suitcase. Sure, the extra fuel spent will be the same, but in the latter case, there will also be more work for the baggage handlers on the ground. On the other hand, the situation as pointed out by OP is totally unfair in my opinion.

8. samiwas, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

samiwas Suspended

After my round trip to and from Atlanta/Australia over the past two weeks, I think there should be a screaming child tax, especially in upgraded cabins.

On my flight to Australia, there was one kid, maybe 1.5-2 years old, who luckily sat right next to me as an "infant in arms"...for a 15-hour flight. This was no child who just cried now and then when he was tired or unhappy. As annoying as it is, you have to understand it. Oh, no...this kid SCREECHED/SCREAMED every 5 seconds for the entire boarding process, nearly the entire flight, and all the way through customs/baggage claim at the end. He also liked to run all over the cabin. The extent of his mother's response was a quiet "no" every now and then. Luckily, the flight attendant moved us within 10 minutes to other seats, but you could still hear this demon-spawn throughout the whole plane.

Oh...on topic: I think it should be fine to charge obese people more. Of course, I'm technically considered nearly "obese", even though I'm under 200 lbs and 5'10.

9. aristobrat macrumors G5

Southwest airlines in the US makes people who spill out of their seats buy 2 tickets, iirc.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

if you can sit in one seat, you should pay for one seat......if you need more than one seat, you should pay for more than one seat

if you're sitting next to me, you should be in YOUR seat, and not expecting to share (for free) the seat I paid for if you can't fit in the seat you paid for.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep. The seats do not need to be bigger- people need to make themselves the size they should be in the first place. This is something within our control. Human beings are not meant to be 275+ pounds.
    I sympathize with folks with weight problems. I've had my own battles. But the fact of the matter is, weight is ours to control. If you take up two seats, you should pay for them.

12. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

Yes fatties should pay more.
    Make them get in shape unless it is a legit medical condition. They pay to eat more and exercise less, why should us skinnies and in shape pay the same?!:D

13. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

No they should not. Airlines should allocate the seats properly. I'm slightly overweight but I sympathize with peolple who are obese. There are emotional and physical reasons that some folks have issues with their weight.

A lot of these folks will die fairly young to begin with and even knowing that, they can't drop the weight.

My friend had the staple procedure and it almost killed him. He'd tried everything else and nothing worked. Now he has half a stomach and lives on pain pills. He doesn't want to talk about it so I don't know what went wrong but the point is, being obese is not as simple as going on a diet. Making these people, who already feel bad about themselves, pay for two seats is just more humiliation they don't need.

14. leekohler, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You are correct in one sense. There are definite reasons that some people become obese, and we should be sensitive to that. But making all seats larger is not the answer. The answer is identifying the causes and addressing them. It can take years to do so.

I've shared this here before, but I had the opposite problem- so skinny that people thought I had AIDS (and felt no shame in saying so to my face on many occasions). It finally took my doctor telling me that I had to make changes or I was risking my health. Now mind you, I ate as much as I wanted. That wasn't the issue. The issue was fitness, movement and proper nutrition.

It took me years to change my body, not months. It took me ten years to go from 6'3" and 143# to get to 195#. It's not easy to change our bodies, they're stubborn. But our bodies are indeed the one thing we can control. I accept no excuses for weight issues. I've been through the worst and very challenging.

And don't give me any excuses about people giving fat obese people more crap. People say far nastier things to people who are too thin directly to our faces. They don't even hesitate.

To anyone here who needs help- just ask. I've been more than happy to help a few of our members out here (as have other members), and they've had great success. All it takes is encouragement and will.

15. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

16. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

Yes, fat people should not only pay more to fly. They should also pay more in insurance as well.

And look, I understand you people have the best intentions when you said it, but I'm just going to straight out say you're crazy if you think airliners are going to upgrade their seats to accommodate for fat people. If anything, they're going to downsize the seats to not only save money, but to cram more people into their airplanes to earn more.

17. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

The standard width of an economy class seat is 17in. If you need more, then you pay more.

Since fat people can eat more, should we charge them the same amount for 2 steaks as 1 steak? In the end, eating a meal is about pleasing your appetite, right?

18. Happybunny macrumors 68000

If you take up more space, you pay more, very simple.

19. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Weight change is about lifestyle change. The health bastards have made mega bucks lying to people saying all you need to do is do this diet and take this pill then youll be all good in a couple of months. :mad:

Look at all this weight I lost, I can have that piece of cake. :confused:

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. There is no secret. It's all about very hard work and change- nothing more in most cases.

But here's the thing- you CAN have that piece of cake from time to time, as long as you move and get off your butt regularly.

21. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Yes. I've luckily always been able to change seats whenever a large person sits next to me. One day I won't get lucky and will get to spend the next few hours with their body rolling over the armrests into my small but personal and paid for space.

But while we're at it, how about eliminating reclining seats, too. The space in an airplane seat is small enough without someone deciding they want to sleep for a few hours in front of me, and need to put their head in my lap to do so. I've had more than a few discussions with people doing this while I've been creating presentations or other types of computer work on the tray in front of me. One time, my laptop was even almost smashed due to someone leaning their seat back.

22. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

The cake thing was more of a reference to Fatkins culture.

23. borisiii macrumors 6502

I am 6'5" and weigh 258lb, so technically I'm obese - the thing is, I row and am of athletic build. Should I have to pay more to fly? I appreciate that it takes more fuel to move me around, but it isn't because I am neglecting to take care of myself.

I think if you are so overweight that you take up two seats, you should pay for them. The airline could fit two paying passengers in those seats, so why should they let you take up both seats but only pay for one? I am probably heavier than some people who have had to pay for two seats, but I can fit into one.

I support the idea, but I don't think it could be done based on weight alone...

24. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I agree totally. I know this is slightly different but I was at a concert and the person besides be fat was spilling over my seat and was digging into me. I am 140 pounds (give or take) and 5'7... IE not fat.
    It would be a PR disaster so what if (I read this in bathroom reader about a hotel in Germany) everyone pays the same rate but if you want you can get onto a scale and for every pound less then 250 pounds you get like $.50 off.

25. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I agree with you 100%. It should be based on a passenger's size and not their actual weight. A solution would be to have a "sample seat" set up near the check in counters. As offensive or embarrassing as it may be to some people (though I don't see how, because they're going to try and squeeze themselves into the exact same seat anyway, just on an aircraft), they do the same at theme parks where, if you don't fit in the seat, you don't ride. In this case it should be, if you don't fit, pay up for the extra seat you'll use.