Should the Rock Hall of Fame be renamed the Popular Music Hall of Fame

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
This year there was a lot of criticism of Whitney and Biggie getting in saying they're not rock and roll. The rock hall CEO defended the decision in the interview below saying you could marks an argument there's a direct line from Aretha Franklin and Diana Ross (both inductees) to Whitney Houston

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/rock-roll-hall-fame-2020-greg-harris-interview-1203487021/

Honestly I think they should just rename it the Popular Music Hall of Fame. Then we can finally get rid of this stupid debate on whether something is rock and roll or not. Going forward there's going to be fewer guitar based bands/artists worthy of getting in and more pop acts are going to be nominated. Just open it up to anyone who's had a major impact/influence on popular music. And then retroactively induct who would fit under this new criteria (like Barbra Streisand). Under this scenario Whitney would be a no brainer. She's arguably the greatest female singer of the 20th century. Pretty much every female artist out there now was influenced by her in some shape or form.

If the hall of fame did rebrand who would you induct (that wouldn’t otherwise be nominated)?

Reactions: user_xyz

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This year there was a lot of criticism of Whitney and Biggie getting in saying they're not rock and roll. The rock hall CEO defended the decision in the interview below saying you could marks an argument there's a direct line from Aretha Franklin and Diana Ross (both inductees) to Whitney Houston

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/rock-roll-hall-fame-2020-greg-harris-interview-1203487021/

Honestly I think they should just rename it the Popular Music Hall of Fame. Then we can finally get rid of this stupid debate on whether something is rock and roll or not. Going forward there's going to be fewer guitar based bands/artists worthy of getting in and more pop acts are going to be nominated. Just open it up to anyone who's had a major impact/influence on popular music. And then retroactively induct who would fit under this new criteria (like Barbra Streisand). Under this scenario Whitney would be a no brainer. She's arguably the greatest female singer of the 20th century. Pretty much every female artist out there now was influenced by her in some shape or form.

If the hall of fame did rebrand who would you induct (that wouldn’t otherwise be nominated)?
I am no expert, but it seems that rock’n roll as it began and existed through the 80‘s has died. It’s possible, I have become isolated, but when I listen to radio stations, there is not much new that I hear that I like.

For The Rock’n Roll Hall of fame, they have a decision to make, stop taking in new, today‘s musicians and become stagnant, or evolve and rebrand to stay relevant. I’d be ok with the Pop Music Hall of Fame, because there is a whole bunch of popular music that I would not call rock’n roll From the 60-80s, people like Streisand Houston, Diamond, Jones, just to name a few.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I would also argue that Phil Collins and Chicago are not "Rock" groups.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I would also argue that Phil Collins and Chicago are not "Rock" groups.
The Peter Cetera/David Foster version isn’t but Chicago circa 1970 certainly was.

I am no expert, but it seems that rock’n roll as it began and existed through the 80‘s has died. It’s possible, I have become isolated, but when I listen to radio stations, there is not much new that I hear that I like.

For The Rock’n Roll Hall of fame, they have a decision to make, stop taking in new, today‘s musicians and become stagnant, or evolve and rebrand to stay relevant. I’d be ok with the Pop Music Hall of Fame, because there is a whole bunch of popular music that I would not call rock’n roll From the 60-80s, people like Streisand Houston, Diamond, Jones, just to name a few.
I said call it the popular music Hall of Fame but I’m guessing there are rock bands that wouldn’t be keen on being inducted into a pop music Hall of Fame. Still I think the Hall of Fame should include people who have had a major impact on popular music as it is today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomorrow

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The Peter Cetera/David Foster version isn’t but Chicago circa 1970 certainly was.

I said call it the popular music Hall of Fame but I’m guessing there are rock bands that wouldn’t be keen on being inducted into a pop music Hall of Fame. Still I think the Hall of Fame should include people who have had a major impact on popular music as it is today.
Chicago was more of a jam band and not true rock as we think of it. Would The Greatfull Dead be considered rock?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Is this the argument that Rock can’t include horns? ;)
I love me some horns, but I hear the argument that Dave Mathews Band should not be heard on a rock station because they are soft.

Soft Rock is still considered rock. But where do we draw the line on what rock is.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I love me some horns, but I hear the argument that Dave Mathews Band should not be heard on a rock station because they are soft.

Soft Rock is still considered rock. But where do we draw the line on what rock is.
I think the Rock and Roll Hall of fame, if they don’t rebrand will become stagnant and an antique if there is not a Rock revival, which I’m not planning on. I like Pop Music Hall of Fame or just Music Hall of Fame.

TheIntruder

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2008
Isn't admission to the majority of such places largely attributed to popularity anyway?

For good or bad, it's the work and history that's important, not being a member of the club.

I don't think the RRHoF takes itself that seriously, and those that do, like the Baseball HoF, and its voters, now elicit only eye rolls from me.

I prefer institutions that present the unvarnished history, not some idealized and sanitized version of it. People can be both famous and infamous.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains

Some of Dave Matthews Band's stuff certainly must count as rock. Some is even more like jazz than soft rock.

We'll know the line for rock has been well and truly crossed though, when some group's induction is announced but then social media totally burns up the server farms in a mostly bannable stream of commentary.

Reactions: Huntn

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I am no expert, but it seems that rock’n roll as it began and existed through the 80‘s has died.
It didn't die, it evolved. Just like 50's rock and roll doesn't sound like 70's rock and roll, it's ludicrous to expect modern rock and roll to sound like 80's rock and roll. And it will sound different still 20 years from now.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It didn't die, it evolved. Just like 50's rock and roll doesn't sound like 70's rock and roll, it's ludicrous to expect modern rock and roll to sound like 80's rock and roll. And it will sound different still 20 years from now.
I guess it evolved to some place I don’t like. However, it’s possible that I am sheltered or out of touch, but when I randomly search though channels, I’m just not hearing anything that sounds like new Rock. Could you provide an example?

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I guess it evolved to some place I don’t like. However, it’s possible that I am sheltered or out of touch, but when I randomly search though channels, I’m just not hearing anything that sounds like new Rock. Could you provide an example?

There's some fantastic examples in the music thread - do you ever click through and listen to tracks/bands you don't recognize? There's a few contributors in that thread (@Northern Man comes to mind) that post a lot of outstanding, new music, of various genres. I know they've posted a few that took me down a rabbit hole exploring more by the band, then I wound up branching out, finding similar acts, and I've discovered some awesome music (mostly in the "rock" genre, but that's a pretty broad term).

Reactions: LizKat

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There's some fantastic examples in the music thread - do you ever click through and listen to tracks/bands you don't recognize? There's a few contributors in that thread (@Northern Man comes to mind) that post a lot of outstanding, new music, of various genres. I know they've posted a few that took me down a rabbit hole exploring more by the band, then I wound up branching out, finding similar acts, and I've discovered some awesome music (mostly in the "rock" genre, but that's a pretty broad term).
Sometimes I do, but nothing comes to mind off hand or I would not have asked.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Oh I just meant for general music discovery! There are some terrific playlists on YT too, just new rock / indie rock / 2020 / <month>, since it's free you can just click forward in the playlists, listen to the first few bars.

I mean with modern rock, it's so diverse, pop/rock/punk/electronic/metal/prog/folk gets tossed around by the same bands sometimes.

Heck, I don't know, White Stripes, Arctic Monkeys, Greta Van Fleet, Beck, Black Foxxes, The Regrettes, Beach House, Science Fiction - that's all sort of sub-genre "rock" representation.

I mean, check this out, this is "new rock", that's actually a throwback sound! (Opps, quick edit; warning, they use some colorful language ... :D)

Last edited:

Northern Man

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
Glad you find some of my suggestions useful. I have had iTunes, now Apple Music for quite some time but mostly for library management reasons. For me, Apple Music's recommendations are very poor. Spotify does a much much better job in providing me with interesting artists which are new to me in many cases. Your mileage may vary.
Being exposed to music is one of life's pleasures and the chase can be as interesting as the catch. Happy listening!

Reactions: D.T.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
You won't find Active Rock channels on the radio as they feel there is not a strong enough following for it.

Reactions: Huntn

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
From the last ten years or so:

Imagine Dragons
Three Days Grace
Foo Fighters
Queens of the Stone Age
Avenged Sevenfold
Five Finger Death Punch
Beck
Paramore
Sixx: AM
Greta Van Fleet
Green Day
Shinedown

I'm probably missing a lot, I mostly listen to older music.

Reactions: D.T. and Huntn

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT

Imagine Dragons
Three Days Grace
Foo Fighters
Queens of the Stone Age
Avenged Sevenfold
Five Finger Death Punch
Beck
Paramore
Greta Van Fleet
Green Day
Shinedown

Foo Fighters are the biggest most maintream of the group. This is their 25th year.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Imagine Dragons
Three Days Grace
Foo Fighters
Queens of the Stone Age
Avenged Sevenfold
Five Finger Death Punch
Beck
Paramore
Greta Van Fleet
Green Day
Shinedown

As in Jeff Beck? :)