Should the U.S. have Universal Healthcare?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by capathy21, Aug 29, 2014.

?

Should the U.S. have Universal Healthcare?

1. Yes

62 vote(s)
    84.9%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Should the U.S. have Universal Healthcare? Why should families go broke trying to purchase healthcare while others profit from astronomical premiums and $10,000 dollar emergency room visits?

Interested to hear from those around the world. What does your country do about healthcare? Do you like it? Hate it?

2. zin macrumors 6502

My country has a completely government-run system that gives you access to health care from cradle to grave. You are automatically enrolled in the programme at birth and you leave the programme when you die, there is no need to sign papers in order to be eligible. Treatment is given based on clinical need rather than ability to pay.

You do not pay for NHS treatment out of pocket, it is funded through general taxation. There is a nominal charge for prescription medicines from a pharmacy to prevent fraudulent use but you are not charged for medication at a hospital. You have free choice to choose any doctor you like, you can switch at any time, and you have the right to refuse any treatment offered to you.

Waiting times are generally longer than in the U.S., but normally if you take 13% of the population out of the line and give the remaining people the ability to buy their way to the front, this is to be expected.

Luckily I have never had to make use of a hospital after birth and only a few times for my family doctor. I like it and wouldn't change it, despite our current government's insistence on contracting out multiple NHS services to private companies.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

We actually need a poll to see if the US should have first-world healthcare or not? It's a sad state of affairs that this is actually a debate in a country that not too long ago was the "greatest country in the world". How far we have fallen. :eek:

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Where you been, bro? This is America 2014, we can't have nice things.

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yeah but I'm getting the iPhone 6 on release day so it's all good.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Furthermore if you want a nice fancy room all to yourself and more time with doctors you can still pay extra to get it if you want. Private healthcare does exist in the UK.

It should also be noted that the NHS is significantly cheaper for the UK government to run per head of population than the system in the USA which costs the US government more (and therefore requires higher taxation for the population) per head of population.

This is what surprises me about the debate in the US. It would actually save them money, not cost more to implement universal healthcare.

10. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Yes I find the access to UHC one of the most important aspects of a FIRST world country, and not how many times you can destroy the planet.

Nobody should ever have to fear going bankrupt because they have the misfortune of being sick.

Health care is €97 per month for basic coverage, you can pay a bit more €107 and then you are also covered for eye glasses, dentist,hearing aids etc.

11. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I question the lucidity of any person that is against universal healthcare in the USA.

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

No. I don't think the United States is doing enough for it's wealthier citizens. It's time the poor started contributing.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

As someone who has lived under both systems, I can say that yes, universal healthcare is better than the alternative. The problem that I see in the US is there is a common mistrust in government's handling of resources (and rightfully so). When I pay taxes in the US I just assume someone is going to waste it on war or pork barrel spending because it is so common. When I pay taxes in Canada I expect it to go to the appropriate location and if it doesn't I expect the politician who spent it to be raked over the coals.

14. samiwas Suspended

Uhhhh...what?

I'm assuming this is sarcasm, since there's no way it couldn't be.

Is that a "sigh...why do we have to discuss this again...we shouldn't have this"?

15. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

If you're talking something like NHS in the UK, probably not. But if you're talking something more like the system implemented in Germany or France, that could happen within the next 20 years.

Here's the issue: NHS is completely dependent on government funding, and given how funding for government agencies can vary a lot depending on each governmental fiscal year, not having steady funding for what is close to a health care monopoly is going to be a big problem, in my humble opinion.

16. samiwas Suspended

Here's an example of why I think this country needs something. This is a friend of my wife.

The dad took their 2-year-old daughter out to a playground to play, as any parent would do. At one point, the girl fell, and hit her head on a rock. She was out cold. When she woke up, she didn't recognize her parents and had lost most functionality. This was several weeks ago. The last report I heard last night was that she will have to be in therapy and they hope to have her home by January. That's five months from now of therapies and who knows what else.

Seeing that the hospital bill for my short stay in which nothing was done was over $14,000 their bill could easily be in the $1 million range, or more. Even if they have good insurance, they could owe tens of thousands.

So a fun day at the playground could turn into a lifetime of crippling debt based on nothing more than tripping on a stick. How ridiculously terrible is that for a country that claims to be #1?

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Okay, but cynicism shouldn't stop solutions ... especially when the solution directly addresses one of your reasons for being a cynic.

The U.S. spends far more than other OECD countries on healthcare. UH would reduce that amount of spending, and avoid wasting money—both the government's and the peoples'.

18. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Millions of pencil-pushing bean counters would be put out of work. Skyscrapers in major US cities would be hanging out "For Rent" signs. All those people with advanced degrees would have to be repurposed to creating new ways to screw the average American, or perhaps people in third world countries. The economy would suffer greatly.

19. VulchR, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

'Should the US have universal health care?"... Well, IMO d'uh.

The failure to provide universal health care causes health inequality between the rich and the poor, it burdens both individuals and companies with reams of paperwork regarding insurance, it increases the costs of employing people, it creates little incentive to engage in preventive medicine, it inflates health costs by granting de facto private-sector monopolies (the AMA) and by precluding collective bargaining on medical supplies and services, etc.

EDIT:

In the UK people can go private if they wish, but basic health care is given by payment through taxes. The UK public does not tolerate cuts to the NHS very well, and any political party wishing to make cuts would be playing with fire. The funding tends to increase each year because of demographics.

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

If FOX sees your comment, you have a new job.

21. Meister Suspended

Meister

On of the problems with universal health care in the US is, that it is used to cover up the underlying problem that health care cost seems to be artificialy inflated.

Another problem is, that universal healthcare will be used to justify other laws to restrict personal freedoms.

22. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The US government is pretty broken, I have to agree.

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

paying the doctor directly is very cheap in my country. (Compared to the United States)
    People who pay cash get first class treatment.

The masses in force-financed "universal healthcare" get second class treatment and have to pay insane premiums.