Should the United States install a military base in Poland?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by darksithpro, Jun 4, 2018.

1. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

2. 0007776 Suspended

No, we don't need more troops based all over the world.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Unless the USA wants to be the catalyst for yet another arms race, let alone another cold war, let alone potentially starting WW3, not only no, but hell no. At least Russia has their closest base to us on their land, but is less than 30 of the 55 miles from the US.

I vaguely remember an episode of Airwolf back in the mid-late 1980s that went into something like this.

BL.

4. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

Poland is going the same way as Hungary and Turkey, sham democracies where the press can only report good things about the government, the judiciary has lost its independence, and fabricated charges get filed against any opposition leader who looks like a threat.

So under Trump this will probably happen....

5. Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

Not only should the United States establish military bases in Poland, I am very much looking forward to the establishment of US bases in North Korea.

6. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

I'm hoping you forgot to add the "wink wink" to your post.:D

7. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

It would be an extremely provocative thing to do.

I don't think even Trump would go for it.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You do remember what happened the last time someone went into Poland with their military, yes?

BL.

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Yea we should troops spend enough time there that it’d probably be cheaper to house them there than keep them TDY. A base in Poland also give forces a place to go when/if Germany decides they don’t want us there anymore.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Tough one. I don't like the way Polish politics is going. However, they are a part of NATO, so if the US, NATO and Poland agree that this base is needed, then so be it. This argument about Russia feeling like this is a provocation is nonsense. The biggest potential military threat Russia faces is the PRC, which shares a huge border with Russia, followed by the US, which is just a few miles across the Bering Sea. One base in Poland is nothing in comparison to that, and if it acts as a deterrent then it would be money well spent.

Living in Scotland I have met many people from the Baltic states. Without exception they are amazing people who just want to get on with things without Russian interference. I believe that we should help defend them, and I am ashamed that the US did not live up to its treaty obligations to oppose Russia and violence and aggression in the Ukraine. Appeasement never works.

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Would it be a circular base with instructions for the Polish to piss in the corner?

12. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

If your goal is to start a nuclear war with Russia then yes, if your prefer to live then no.

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

If it'll scare them that much we'll have it done before the end of the year.

14. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Well, I hope you don’t live anywhere near a major population center or the last thing you’ll be seeing is a REALLY bright flash.

15. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The last time that happened, Britain and France sat idly by twiddling their thumbs, right? If history repeats itself, Russia should sit idly by and pretend nothing happened.o_O

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I don't and we'd get along a whole lot better without NY, LA, Chicago, Detroit, Miami, Dallas, and Austin.

But moving back into reality the Russian's know how many troops we keep over there at any time and they also know that as soon as we establish a permanent presence they have the ability to inspect the unit assigned there. Secondly the didn't get excited about the semi-permanent bases in Latvia, Estonia, and Lithuania they're really not going to get excited about a base that has a country that separating it from Russia.

17. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

Russia and Poland share a border.

18. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Only if you call Ukraine Russia

19. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

Kaliningrad.

20. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Some people are really bad with geography despite having access to Google/Apple maps.

21. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

OK..

It's tenuous but yes

22. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

Not really man. It’s as much a part of Russia as Alaska is the USA. The Kremlin definitely see it that way, given it’s strategic importance to Baltic sealanes.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Sure, because we’re clearly hellbent on starting a world war.

24. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Poland: A wholey (sp?) owned subsidiary of Murica, Inc.

25. 0007776 Suspended

To be fair the base in Poland is likely going to be much bigger than the border post that Russia has on Big Diomede. You can look at the attached image for the satellite view of it from Google Maps. Also that base that you referenced while it may be only 4 and a half miles from the nearest US settlement it is 500 miles from the nearest road that goes anywhere else in the US, and I believe about 2 or 3 thousand miles from the nearest road in Russia, so it's not much of a threat and comparing it to any of our bases in other countries next to Russia isn't much of a comparison.

Attached Files: