Should the US states make driving in a flash flood an infraction?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by moonman239, May 11, 2015.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I was reading up on an incident where a guy was driving in his truck, with a friend, and he got hit by a flash flood. Got me thinking maybe drivers should be cited for driving in a flash flood. That ought to get them to pay attention to flash flood warnings and heed the "TURN AROUND-DON'T DROWN" message.

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Doesn't the "flash" in flash flood indicate that it's unpredictable and therefor unavoidable?

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Agreed, drive at your own risk really. You don't know when or where a flash flood might occur.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Depends on where they are. The rescue for them is going to cost more than the infraction.

What I mean by that is to compare a flash flood in the midwest, where a river may crest above flood stage because of rain, to the desert. In the midwest, the ground can hold a hell of a lot more water before saturation, which in turn gives you time to prepare for evacuation. You can get what you need and get out. That's what I was used to, in Nebraska/Iowa/Missouri/Oklahoma/Kansas...

Compare that to the flooding that happens in Las Vegas during monsoon season. that was more FLASH flooding than anything. when it rains, the ground gets quickly saturated, and down comes the flood.

Flash flooding in Kansas:

I could still drive in the rain back in the Midwest. I lived by that 'turn around; don't drown' sign in Vegas.

BL.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Also you might get rain upstream while you are in the sun and still get hit with a flash flood.

6. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

Perhaps. The point is this: If you know there might be a flash flood happening in your area and you see water on the road (even an inch can kill), and you don't turn around, that should be a moving violation.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It shouldn't be a traffic infraction, but if there are warnings out of possible floods, and you still go out driving I have no problem with the government going after someone for the cost of the rescue.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Okay. But an inch isn't going to make you lose control of your car and get swept off the road.

----------

I did a brief bit of digging and found the following on how we deal with people who start wildfires ...

I think this is an excellent standard to apply to flash floods as well, with the intent and actions of the driver informing the authorities as to whether to punish or not.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Yeah, those people need to be smacked upside the head.

I remember having to deliver pizza during flood weather about 15 or so years ago. Obviously some roads were cut off from delivery to keep us from having to risk life and limb for someone's dinner, but that still didn't stop some people from finding a way to meet up with us. This one family, they practically forded a flooded creek with waters coming up just below their windows just to meet up with me on the other side. And when I say family, I mean like the mother, the father, and their two kids in the back seat.

It was ridiculous.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, keep in mind that water only goes so fast, so depending on topography (narrow slot canyons are a totally different beast than your average wash) a flash flood may not be that fast. Most flash floods move at around 6-8 mph, however, the amount of force behind that water is what makes flash floods so dangerous.

In Arizona, we have the "stupid motorist law," which requires motorists to pay for emergency services and an additional $2,000 fine under certain conditions.

Motorists are only fined if they needed rescue, and if they bypass barriers or they enter a roadway that already has water covering the road.