Should there be a " Fat tax " otherwise known as a " Junk Food tax "?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by G51989, Jul 17, 2014.

?

Should there be a tax on bad food?

1. Yes

31 vote(s)
    43.1%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Only on overweight people

6 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Only on fast food

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_tax

Should there be an extra tax on junk food and fast food?

I think yes.

Should there be a tax on people just for being overweight? I think no.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Not a fan of taxes, there should be no income tax at all IMHO

3. zin macrumors 6502

If you increase taxes on unhealthy foods then at least cut taxes in some way on healthy foods. I'm not sure how this kind of thing would work in places like the UK where healthy foods are already zero-rated on VAT (0% tax), and things like confectionery are taxed.

What do you plan to cut in government services in order for this to happen?

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

The rulers abusing taxes to coerce their subjects into "right" behaviour.

That seems to sound like a good idea to a lot of people nowadays. Sad times ...

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

End the wars

7. chown33 macrumors 604

I'll drink to that!

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Hell no! I eat what I want. The government should not tell me I shouldn't do that then charge me more the what I want. When the government looks at a country's health they should say to themselves "I'm going to leave that the **** alone. Maybe I will just promote exercise or some **** but other then that its not my problem."

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

10. zin macrumors 6502

How exactly is a modest "fat tax" forcing somebody to do something against their will? It's not like a 5% "fat tax" on unhealthy foods would make people go broke. They could still make the free choice to buy the candy or not.

It certainly is sad times when people need a nudge in the right direction towards the healthier option.

11. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

That's a scary mindset that a lot of people have nowadays: "I know what's best for everyone, so my opinion should be forced down everyone's throats. Laws! Taxes! Lets write some more bills for the country that has the most laws out of any nation of the history of the planet -- just a few more and we'll perfect this near perfect society :D"

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Human beings are naturally destructive and unfortunately we need to be told what to do and given guidance and restrictions even if we don't always welcome it. Some people will eat themselves into an early grave and some may say it is their right to do so, but its the social and financial cost this brings that affects in the wider scale.

Yes there should be a tax on junk food in my opinion much like there is on alcohol.

13. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Okay... so what makes the people in government different to this? Oh, wait...

14. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I wasn't arguing the people in government were any different. They are human beings too after all and we once had a morbidly obese deputy Prime Minister i.e John Prescott. ;)

Decisions on food tax wouldn't be made by an individual, well not in the same way a fatty decides on their own to stroll into McDonalds lol.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Hard to tell if we are lemmings headed toward making the movie Idiocracy come true, or strait toward making pot legal in every state while making candy bars illegal.

You have been declared chubby and must now submit to 6 months in fat camp.

---

Of course making sugar a dangerous substance would free up a lot of it for conversion to alcohol for our cars.

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

now thats the spirit! :D

17. VI™ macrumors 6502a

Well, unfortunately as it currently stands there would have to be a massive "fat tax" to deter people from eating unhealthy foods. To fix a healthy meal, it's so much more expensive than to go to the McDonalds menu and purchase 5 items off the dollar menu. For under $15 I can get enough Chinese food to eat off of for probably 3 entire days if I eat a correct portion size and don't just go all glutton on it.

Fresh fruit, veggies, and even just regular meat are expensive. Me and the girlfriend were looking at bags of shrimp the other day at the grocery store and a 2lb bag of frozen shrimp is nearly $30! That's outrageous. But even then, making a salad is so much more expensive that just getting two double cheese burgers.

Ramen noodles? $.10 a pack and they're very unhealthy. Well, at least the instant ramen are.

18. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Helped what?

19. Meister Suspended

Meister

it helped with the "alcohol problem". Just like the war on drugs solved the "drug problem", the war on terror solved the "terrorism problem" and of course the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan turned those places into heaven on earth.

You seem to forget what the US constitution says:
    "Do as you are told or **** you!"

20. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I'd support it only if 100% of the taxes collected from this tax go toward health and wellness programs. And existing funding for healthcare is not replaced, but supplemented by this tax.

I think a better solution would be subsidies for healthier food to make purchasing it available to more people and to expand availability.

21. Premium1 macrumors 6502a

No because it won't deter people from buying will just be another source of revenue that is wasted on some program by the government

----------

Yeah how's that working for those "healthy lunches in schools" let people eat and do what they want. I eat junk food but I work out frequently, who are you to tell me what I can and can't eat? Plus we have obamacare to pay for everyone anyway so whys it matter anymore? Like with everything else people will find a way to get it

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Unhealthy diet is responsible for the most health conditions and deaths, even over cigarettes. So if they can put hefty taxes on ciggs, I don't see why taxes on foods that are qualified as unhealthy shouldn't be taxed extra.

I think a great start would be taxing foods with excessive sugar and/or salt.

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

Yes and foods that are "unhealthy" should be put on a list by the new "Department of Homeland Nutrition".
    We could call them "unfoods". :D

Remember: "Unfoods are unsocial and a great risk to society. Support the war on unfoods now!"

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't think we need to tax unhealthy food. Simply rename junk foods to French something and rename healthy food Freedom something. We could have labels on healthy food stating it was made in a certified 'Murican factory with no illegal aliens working there. To cut down on soda intake, rename spring water Liberal Tears. Forget gluten free, replace it with We pay our women workers 77% of what we pay men. The possibilities are endless.

25. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Your sarcasm is right. Plenty of junk foods are not actually real foods. Just a bunch of artificial crap that's edible. Unfoods is a pretty accurate description