Should troops pull out of war torn countries?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by greygray, Jan 29, 2010.

1. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

The Iraq war is rather silent, now with the fighting in Pakistan, lots of lives have been lost. Should the troops continue fighting in these countries or pull out?

Discuss.

2. Zyniker macrumors 6502

Why, precisely, do we need another thread with this topic?

3. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Troops should wrap it instead of pulling out.

4. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

If there's enough room "precisely" for a weekly - if not daily - thread about Fox News, surely there's enough room for a monthly or so thread about situations in which American and foreign lives are lost regularly to war.

5. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

I found it rather sad that Obama, specifically within the recent State of the Union address, did not specifically mention the Iraq War more positively, the sacrifice of our U.S. troops therein, and the enormous victory we have achieved in Iraq. Recall previously that Obama tried to take credit for success in Iraq despite his earlier opposition to troop surge in Iraq that was key to the success U.S. and coalition troops have achieved therein. That said, I do think troop levels can be reduced in Iraq - in direct reply to your question - but I do not think they can be completely removed for the time being. Many within the Pentagon are of the mind of permanent U.S. Air Force and Army bases within Iraq, to address terror elements that may attempt to re-enter Iraq in the future. I support such an idea....

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Brilliant!
    [​IMG]
    "Oh boy, it sure was great that we invaded a sovereign nation based on lies and bad intelligence!"

Was that more to your liking good sir?

7. 184550 Guest

I think that it would be (even more) irresponsible to completely withdraw at the drop of a hat. I think that it is impossible to think that the US could ever completely withdraw from any of the above mentioned countries. Like it or not, we will be in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq and numerous other Middle Eastern countries for the foreseeable future.

8. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Don't forget the rad super awesome deaths of tends of thousands of troops not to mention our own troops dying....

9. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

Iraq is on its way to prosperity with double digit growth throughout the recession. I'm not sure an instant pull-out would be wise until any resistance to the regime has completely settled down. Although Iraq has its own growing Army (sporting high-end US weapons), we might want to stay as backup for a little while.

Pakistan and Afghanistan is currently a proving ground for the defense industry. It’s like a live lab. And it prolly gives some troops itching to use “their training” a chance to play arround. I don’t think anyone is worried about “lost lives” here. Don’t forget that warriors chose the profession because they want to fight (and hopefully win).

Anyways, in reality, there is a potential conflict in Iran around the corner. So if anything escalates, it would help to have troops surrounding them…and perhaps assist any Iraqi invasion into their age old enemy’s territory.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I don't suppose that the wishes of the natives count much in your calculations, do they? Also, please do try to bear in mind that until the bungled, illegal and irresponsible US/UK military adventure in Iraq, there were no "terror elements" there.

Expect further resistance, then. If you are going to keep troops stationed in countries in tacit support of tyrannies, dictatorships, absolute monarchies, military juntas or puppet regimes, you will certainly generate many more years of fanatical opposition. Whatever happened to the concept of self-determination to which you signed up in the United Nations Charter?

Double digit growth is not hard to achieve from a base of practically zero.

Are all other countries to you simply a potential proving ground for your war toys? Do you not stop for a minute in your gung-ho insensibility to consider the rights of the inhabitants of those countries to live their own lives free from violent interference by foreign military powers?

If you think for one moment that the Shia-dominated government in Iraq is going to allow any invasion of Iran from its territory, you had better think again.

11. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

I doubt the use of the word "prosperity" is accurate. I do not think double digits GDP growth brings prosperity to everyone within the Iraki's society.

I disagree in terms of pulling out. I think that if the troops are inside a country, there should be steps to pull out. One of them would include stabilizing the social climate, and then, starting to introduce a massive plan, such as the Marshall Plan in Europe, and then pull troops out.

My base for my argument is the situation in Germany post WWII. Germany has benefited from US Army soldiers being based in Germany. The pull out was not immediate, and now Germany is an economical power to be reckoned with.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

:eek:
    Wow, I would say anyone involved in that conflict would be worried about the lives lost...even if people signed up to be soldiers, they don't WANT to die. We should be having wars to test guns and have practice for troops.

Thats one of the more ridiculous post I've seen here in a while

:confused::confused:

A conflict with Iran is NOT "around the corner"..is it possible? Yes, but I doubt it happens under OBama. Also using that as an argument for other wars is a terrible argument. Also there is NO way we should be supporting an Iraqi invasion of Iran(and that just isn't likely consider the climate of Iraq)

13. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

You have a point on the growth from practically zero, but it’s still growth nonetheless vs. sliding further into civil war. I think it’s in at least some ppl’s interest to keep it that way.

“Insensibility” or not, I try to see the bigger picture rather let “feelings for the now suffering” cloud my judgment…a position I would expect world leaders to adopt. The War on Terror (or whatever you like to call it) is shared by many more people than the one country…and on interests of many levels. Whether providing our own meat shields, or harming some bystanders, it looks to me that many leaders justify the means to the ends.

If you look past your persistent prejudices on “war mongers” lol, you will understand that the fact that it’s a like a “proving ground” indicates that it’s a relatively low risk combat environment. You see, Generals don’t cry when a couple of soldiers die. They see it relative to the larger numbers and know that no war is zero casualties.

And Shia or no Shia, history has not shown me that religious banners always unite separate groups. It’s more like banners morph when different groups want to control the oil. ;)

Not that they WANT to die, but we've been at war for years. Most of the ones who have done their duty would have left if they didn't like it. And most of them aren't ppl out of high school who wanted to "see the world rather than work at the factory because they didn't want to go to college of whatever". Which leaves everyone else who signed up expecting the hazard while meeting their calling.

Well, US president's change relatively fast. And besides, you don't know that. Obama has already shown his support for the war by increasing it's strength.

You know, if Iraq's oil conflict with Iran doesn't settle...and the UN wants that "nuclear threat" gone for good...there are some common interests there. That's all I'm saying.

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Iraq's oil exports are getting up toward 2.5 million bbl/day, so at $75/bbl it oughta be accuring a fairly healthy treasury. Absent Iran's meddling, most of the Iraqis seem to have become bored with killing. No real profit in it.

As for the "why" of Afghanistan/Pakistan, that's obvious: Pakistan is a nuke-bomb country with a weak government. A jihadist takeover would not be any sort of good news. As for Afghanistan itself, it's probably hopeless. Way too many people all bound up in "Whack 'em and stack 'em."

Always ask yourself about national interest. That's the usual place to start in with the "why". The 'how" is another facet entirely.

As far as bringing troops home, I'd ask why we're still in the Balkans. What is our national interest, there? Looks to me as though it should be a Eurozone deal. Same for NATO, really. Along that line, we should never have been so foolish as to encourage Georgia and Ukraine to join NATO. Somebody forgot to look north on the map; focussed on looking south and southeast.

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Speaking of a potential Taliban takeover of Pakistan, I sure as hell hope we have some sort of plan for disabling and/or destroying their nukes if that happens.

16. greygray thread starter macrumors 68000

greygray

But won't that prove disastrous and a possible start of full-blown war? :(

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

greygray, if the nukes were somehow destroyed, who would fight whom, in your war?

FWIW, I've run across the occasional snippet that indicates we have "contingency plans" in the event of a perceived need to wipe out their inventory. How practial a plan? I've no idea. I imagine the Indian government has also given serious consideration to the problem. Just guessing, it might be that the existing Paki government, as a contingency in the event of a Taliban takeover, has already provided us with the necessary information.

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It would only prove disastrous if it failed. I'm not talking about a brigade of infantry and another of armor, I'm talking about SpecOps teams deployed by parachute or helicopter.
    And if it did end in a full-blown war, if it hadn't been already, I'd certainly feel much better if there weren't nukes involved.

19. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

I'm sure the US and UK already have plans to level everything like in Iraq if this even gets close. Unless that's what you mean by a full blown war.

All the stuff is already there. No transportation required. If they have already been "contingency planning" arround Iran...I don't think Pakistan is a harder scenario.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I doubt the British will be going along for another farce.

21. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

You guys have to face it. The UK is not really part of the EU. That's only geography. The UK is more like the 51st state of the USA.

22. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think if we can get to a point where U.S. troops aren't the ones risking their lives its good enough. I see us having a military presence in Iraq far into the future. However, there's a difference between simply maintaining military bases and being directly involved in the fighting. That's the only way we are going to "leave".

This keeps the oil cheap and the U.S. in a position to immediately deal with any threats to the supply as they arise. Many Iraquis will eventually be rich and ulitmately that's all they will care about.

23. greygray thread starter macrumors 68000

greygray

With the increasing tensions in Iran, if the US launches sanctions or even step into their country to attempt to seize their nuclear facilities, I don't know what is going to happen.

24. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I don't believe that, there must of been some terrorist in Iraq fighting against Saddam and his policies, did he not bomb the hell out of a town after some people (Do you count them as terrorist?) tried to kill him?

No we're not and we don't like being called the 51st state either, from what I can see anyway, for some they may love it....

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If there were people fighting against Saddam, why would you call them terrorists, and even if they were terrorists, why would it be any concern of ours?