Should Verizon offer unlimited data as incentive for those ready to switch from AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmx, Aug 4, 2011.

1. dmx macrumors 6502

I'm sure many here are in the same predicament as I am. Unlimited data (grandfathered in) with AT&T, but wanting to switch to Verizon for the better coverage in my area.

I wish Verizon would temporarily offer unlimited data again upon the launch of the iPhone 5, for those who wish to switch to Verizon but keep unlimited data. Thoughts?

2. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

Verizon's data speeds are incredibly slow though. I'm not sure I'd take them up on the offer even if it was made available to me.

Also, don't you think it's kind of silly and wasteful that you actually go over 2GB? I swear, I constantly use my BB dailily for internet browsing, e-mail, social media and other junk and still don't go over 200 MB....

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They did offer a temporary unlimited data plan for those switching. It went from the Verizon iPhone's launch to July 7th. It won't be coming back.

4. dmx thread starter macrumors 6502

They may be a bit slower, sure - but there aren't as many (any?) dead spots, at least in my area. I drop calls and data all the time with AT&T, unfortunately, usually in the same problem spots.

I watch YouTube and news videos on my phone once in awhile, and it really adds up quickly. I don't tether, it isn't like I'm using obscene amounts of data.

True, but many who already had the iPhone 4 on AT&T were waiting for the iPhone 5 to make the switch.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

and I think you just found the reason why they pulled the trigger in July. They did it before the iPhone 5 launch to prevent that influx. Besides Verizon Data plan prices suck big time compared to AT&T. AT&T at least offered a deal to encourage you to changed to a teared plan. That being save 5-15 a month. Verizon you are changed 30 a month for less data. No way in hell they will offer a unlimited deal now.

6. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

A "bit" my socks. Every time I test the two phones side-by-side the AT&T one almost always loads pages up twice as fast as the Verizon phone. Sure, I'm testing both phones in Apple stores so it might not be the best field test, but my point still stands. (It should also be mentioned that I'm in NYC)

Also, you could watch a little over half an hour of video every day and still have enough data under the 2GB limit for quite a bit more web-related shenahnighans.

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think verizon gave fair warning concerning the end of their unlimited data plans. people on these forums were buying up pixis to lock in unlimited data and saving their subsidy for iphone 5.

8. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

Don't go in those spots while making a phone call. :D:p

9. dmx, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011

dmx thread starter macrumors 6502

Netflix uses quite a bit more data than that on 3G, I have not tested it myself but it is at least 200 MB an hour.

Ha, I wish it was that easy!

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

How exactly is 2GB less than 2GB?

11. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

If I had a lot of drop calls with AT&T in my area, I would have changed carriers along time ago... even if meant not having an iPhone or unlimited data. Emails, internet browsing, youtube... etc... is nice in a mobile device... but it's more important to me to use my iPhone as a phone. The main reason why I left Verizon for AT&T is because of poor phone service in my location. Verizon knew the phone coverage was bad in our area, and let us cancel our contract with no ETF. They were very understanding... and I was very satisfied with their customer service in dealing with the issue. I'm don't hate Verizon.... because I am still a customer for 2 years for mifi data only. They do have great 3G and 4G LTE coverage in our area, but it isn't perfect. Sometimes Verizon's 3G is so slow, it's unusable. Plus... sometimes there are long disconnects when it switches from 3G to 4G LTE. I am still satisfied with Verizon's data... but it's nice to have AT&T 3G as another option when Verizon's data isn't great.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well it was $30 a month for Unlimited and now on Verizon it is $30 for 2G with the cost of like $10 a gig afterwards.
    Sorry was talking about Verizon.

13. shadrap macrumors 6502

I am so tired of hearing this argument. 1.5mbps on Verizon is as fast as 3.0mbps on AT&T. It's all about the ping. With Verizon's ping at these speeds pages load virtually the same.

I know speeds in different areas vary. Of coarse if Verizon in your area is running sub 1.0mbps it is going to be slower usually than AT&T. So it is area dependent. But in my area I get a steady 1.0mbps or better.

14. Centient macrumors 6502

Forget VZ. Unlimited plans aren't coming back there any time soon. Better off hoping that Sprint gets the iPhone. There is almost no doubt they will continue to offer their unlimited plans in conjunction with the release of an iPhone. At least for a little while.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Sorry, misunderstood.