Should We All Be In 'Monogamish' Relationships?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Feb 2, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/health/should-we-all-be-in-monogamish-relationships-109895587302.html

interesting times ahead. sucks for the men who decide to get married.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You know.. while they may be all wont for the science of relationships and thinking that monogamy may not be as needed as it was in previous years, they are forgetting the biggest part of the relationship: the partnership built and shared throughout that lifetime.

While this may sound like a fairytale ending, there are stories of people who miss their mates so much after their passing, that they succumb as well. Not from suicide or any pact like that, but of that natural longing from that relationship built throughout a lifetime. There is no way that science or the -ish relationships they are talking about could ever replace that.

BL.

3. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

It's all fun and games till you catch a dude pinning your chick's legs back.

Do what makes you happy but it's a double edged blade for sure.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion.

If you were responding to my posts I'd ask for the reasoning behind it.

But you aren't responding to my posts.

And I should know better than to expect that statement involved much in the way of reasoning.

5. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Of course, if you stumble on a woman having a bit of your wife's pie, umm ...

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

One of my uncles died on the day of the funeral of his wife. This stuff happens.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I wouldn't be any less repulsed or less prone to "life in prison" class violence.

I always think these proclamations of the death of traditional marriage and monogamy are the wishes of self-centered hedonistic minds that don't consider what happens on the either side of the fence.

They imagine how awesome it will be right up until they realize their partner is also going balls deep with someone else.

And then there is herpes, pregnancy, abortions...all that fun stuff.

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Why?

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

Its ok if its a woman, but not a man. Why this sentiment?

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No one is forced to get married or be in a monogomis relationship and not being monogomis isn't really a new concept, and it probably causes a good amount of those divorces that this article proposes as a solution.

11. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I've never been comfortable in monogamous relationships, so most of mine have been open to some degree.

To me it's like having just one friend to hang out with, instead of multiple friends. It doesn't really make sense. So yeah, some guy might give it to my partner, but as long as my partner trusts that guy, and that guy isn't a douche... what's the big deal?

Considering how rampant cheating is... I'd much rather have an open dialog, less secrecy, and less risk.

12. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

14. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

And people fall for it.

15. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I wouldn't put much stock in the beliefs of someone who claims to be "data positive" and yet believes that marriage is failing for 50% of customers. Presumably she's peddling the old incorrect belief that 50% of marriages end in divorce. That's not true, and is getting less and less true:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/02/u...ut-the-myth-lives-on.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=1

16. citizenzen, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015

citizenzen macrumors 65816

I like the line from the OP's article ...

I can see how being a child of divorce might make one suspicious of marriage, but I'm not sure how being an aspiring designer-entrepreneur in Silicon Valley plays into it.

It's curious how a tech-savvy writer wouldn't know how to use Google, because the briefest search on the term, "50% of marriages end in divorce," reveals a number of sources that call that figure into question.

17. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

My dad has been married 4 times, mostly because of his "monogamish" practices. :D

In all seriousness, I am not suspicious of marriage. It's possible to be with one person and be happy. I think most people nowadays are too selfish to put in the necessary work to keep a relationship going. Sleeping around does nothing to bridge gaps between partners, IMHO.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Pooling resources, joint effort and commitment, has its advantages in modern society ideally with someone you like. ;)

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

He's just been in Silicon Valley long enough to think everything is either a product or could be redesigned to become one. The way he phrased his remark was to let us know first that he's a hot and possibly available ticket from that wondrous cocoon, and secondarily that for him, marriage is no exception to the "everything's a product" concept. What a piece of work. Rationalizing sleeping around doesn't have to be that complicated but I guess if you want to convert it into a business plan then you have to run a lot of stuff up the flag pole and see if any of it gets you past a Kickstarter slot. I dunno. He might have trouble even getting a date from now on.

I laughed when I got to the part about how mating for life is less necessary these days. I was thinking that cockroaches figured that out a really really long time ago. They still look and behave the way they always did. It's higher up the food chain that some (obviously not all!) critters realized that to raise a multi-talented, highly skilled individual can take awhile and having both parents devoted to the task works well. For example, snow geese, bald eagles, some human beings...

20. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

because divorce tends to favor women.

nephews wife left for a few months, got kicked out by her BF and STILL got custody of the kids, why did she want custody? bigger paycheck, she was commited 3 freaking times on a 5150 BEFORE my nephew finally got full custody.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Then your original statement should have been, "sucks for the men who decide to get divorced."

22. sim667 macrumors 65816

Theres a reason the tip of a boner is shaped the way it is, and its really quite a disgusting one.

23. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Awesome post.

Yeah, I got a good chuckle out of his "productization" of relationships. Rather self-absorbed with his cleverness.

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Great post! However I'll observe that males sleeping around has origins in an age old biological conspiracy. :D

25. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I’ll have to ask my wife’s girlfriend next time we get together for a three-way.