Should we be concerned that Google Maps has possibly been rejected from the AppStore?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, Sep 19, 2012.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Being that iOS 6 is launching today and the fact that YouTube has already popped up in the App Store, should we be concerned that Apple won't approve Google Maps for the iPhone? Granted, it does provide "duplicate functionality" to Apple's Maps app and thus could be grounds for rejection based on Apple's guidelines but I think most would agree that we'd at least like the option.

It's also possible that the app simply isn't completed yet but you have to assume that Google knew for quite some time that their Google Maps license wasn't being renewed (along with YouTube) and have been working on the standalone app since that time. I hope I'm wrong but I have a bad feeling we won't be seeing it anytime soon, if at all.

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Are you saying that Google Maps WAS rejected or are you speculating as to whether it will be? Because your title says one thing, but your posts says another. Misleading.

3. jamst149 macrumors member

4. Cozmo85 macrumors regular

5. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

No they don't, they're both asking a question based on the information we have. I'm asking if we should be concerned being that it's not in the app store yet.

6. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I doubt it is done yet. They are probably building a whole new app from the ground up since the old app was apples.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

No they're not. Your title reads like its already been rejected, and that's misleading because we would definitely know if that were the case; it would be VERY public information.

And to answer your question, "no, we shouldn't be concerned yet." Hell, iOS 6 isn't even rolled out yet!

Chill.

8. hobx macrumors regular

Plus they haven't released an IPAD youtube app yet. I would have thought they'd have all their ducks in a row for the launch of IOS6, but apparently not...

9. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

I changed the thread title to make it clearer.

In regard to your second point, as I mentioned in my OP, iOS6 is coming out today and you have to believe that Google knew that the license for Maps wasn't being renewed for quite a while. If they were planning on developing a standalone app, it's likely that they've been working on it since that time....just like their standalone YouTube app which was released a few weeks ago.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Thanks. I like the updated title better. :)

Those are Valois points. I also like the previous point about Google not even having an iPad YouTube out and ready yet either.

11. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

How can something get rejected without being submitted?

yeah, I got nothing.

12. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

How do you know it wasn't submitted?

13. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

Is there even any proof of google releasing a google maps app? All I remember reading was that they were exploring options.

14. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

There's a lot of confusion on this thread and I'm not sure if it's a reading comprehension issue or if I simply wasn't clear in my original post. This question is PURE speculation based on the facts we have on hand (iOS 6 coming out today, Google knowing their Maps & YouTube license not being renewed for quite some time, and the fact that the YouTube app has already been released).

Nowhere am I saying any of this is fact or that it HAS been submitted and rejected. I'm simply asking IF we should be concerned. I hope this helps clarify what this thread is about.

15. SlyMac macrumors 6502

SlyMac

Seems like you're getting worked up over some assumptions. The apple google maps is limited already when compared to the app on android. Google may be working on a version that is better than what is out now for the iphone. If that was the case, it would make sensethat they could spit out a youtube app faster than an upgraded map app. Plus, like others said, iOS 6 is being released today. Seems a little soon to be predicting doom. Give it time.

16. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Not getting worked up at all. Simply asking a basic question and looking for some feedback.

17. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

I don't know what any more than your original "got rejected" phrasing.

18. SlyMac macrumors 6502

SlyMac

Your post says different.

19. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

There was still a question mark at the end of that original thread title. I fixed it b/c it COULD have been read differently. Unlike you, I wasn't blatantly saying something I had no idea about though.

----------

Point me to that post that shows me getting worked up. Thanks.

20. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Why be concerned? I've been using Apple maps on iOS 6 and it works good for me. So no need for google maps for me.

21. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

This would have been the perfect use of the word "infer", as in:

"Should we infer that the Google Maps app was rejected based on the fact that it does not yet appear in the App Store?"

And now, the perfect use of the word "no". :p

If it was rejected, IMO, the reason given would be BS, and the true reason would stem from the Apple/Google rivalry.

Regards,
    Tom

22. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

There's a reason there are no other Mapping applications in the App Store. It's currently against Apple's guidelines as it provides "duplicate functionality."

23. protobiont macrumors 6502a

I doubt that google will make a maps app for iOS, or if they do that it will be all that great. I'm pretty sure that they've always kept the better features (turn by turn, 3d view, etc) Android only to serve as a competitive advantage, and I see no reason why they would change that now.

The only reason I could see them releasing an app is if they felt they could generate sufficient ad revenue to make it worthwhile. Since they recently began charging companies for heavy use of google maps, I doubt they are getting enough in ad revenue to make that happen.

Our best hope is probably that Apple quickly iterates and improves it's own maps, rather than waiting a year between updates.

----------

There are plenty of other mapping applications in the app store.

24. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Interesting if true as I honestly didn't know that. Which apps are in the store?

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Unless you have proof that its been held up/rejected, instead of simply not being ready, why would you be concerned about anything?

This statement proves you are trolling. There is an entire category devoted to Navigation