General Should we update to 8.1 now that a JB is supposedly on the horizon or do we hold off?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by budmonster, Oct 22, 2014.

  1. budmonster macrumors regular

    Sep 20, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I keep reading different forums, especially Reddit, other iOS forums/sites & what not. I keep reading posts from users saying that if you have JB iDevices w/ iOS 7 that you should go ahead and update to iOS 8.1 right now. One user from the forum I mentioned, eracnid, said this:

    I have my 5s, my wife has a 5c and my son has an iPad Air, all are on 7.0.6. The wife could careless about losing her JB. I don't mind losing my JB for a few days or even a week or two. But if I where to update my 5yr old son's Air to iOS 8.1 & a JB doesn't come or if it takes a month to be released I'll be in trouble.

    Anyways, should I/we be updating to 8.1 like he/others recommend? Other forums with different users have similar comments as well. I'm still new to the JBing world, these are our first iDevices so I'm skeptical and a little unsure what I should do? Pull the trigger, remove Cydia, update our devices to 8.1 & wait or hold off for more info to come out?
  2. djplaxe2109 macrumors 6502

    Feb 4, 2013
    Update to 8.1. Who knows how short the window will be.
  3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere


    Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    Yes, I would update all your devices now to 8.1 via itunes restore.
    You never know if Apple puts out 8.1.1 out and then you'd be stuck with no JB option at all.
  4. budmonster, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

    budmonster thread starter macrumors regular

    Sep 20, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
  5. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a


    Aug 4, 2010
    I've no intention of updating until there's a stable, complete jailbreak available.

    If apple release 8.1.X then I'll stay on jailbroken iOS 7. Last year we waited until when was it Jan/Feb/March for the jailbreak?

    iOS 7 will work fine for a while yet.
  6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020


    Jun 20, 2010
    I'm still somewhat on the fence. I went ahead and took my retina Mini 2 up to 8.1 today. I've been using it stock since it arrived with 7.1.2 last week (replacing a JB'd original Mini), and decided with this morning's news that I can live with it on 8.1 while the tweaks I need are being updated.

    But my iPhone 5 is another story. I run that device pretty heavily tweaked, and I'm leaning towards leaving it for a few days yet. If I miss the JB window with that one, well, I'll just have to wait. I missed the first iOS 7.x window earlier this year due to a major family emergency, so it's only been on 7.1.2 for about two months. I can probably wait it out for the next one if need be.

    I think I'll keep an eye on things for the next day or so and see what happens.
  7. lokster macrumors 6502


    Feb 7, 2010
    just be patient like me

    I'm waiting for Pangu to come out with a comprehensive tool that installs cydia after jailbreak.

    Apple has a history of releasing updates but never as soon as a jailbreak happens, so you probably have a few weeks safety net before 8.1.1 comes out
  8. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020


    Oct 25, 2009
  9. budmonster thread starter macrumors regular

    Sep 20, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I want to go ahead and update my devices to 8.1 tonight, should I just follow the tutorial from here? I'm guessing I should follow the "How to install iOS 8.1 update using iTunes:" section? If I remember correctly, I simply need to find the .ipsw files that go along with my devices model number then just restore the firmware in iTunes, is it that simple? Could someone give me a quick step-by-step guide just as a safety net?
  10. marf1million macrumors regular

    Jul 23, 2013
    An Mhí
    Just make a backup. Hit restore in iTunes. When it's finished restore your backup. Easy peasy.

Share This Page