Should/what kind of iPad to get?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CSCalciano, Jun 20, 2011.

1. CSCalciano macrumors newbie

My parents said that they will get me an iPad for my birthday, and I'm very excited. It's on August 9th, and I've got a few questions. First, should I get an iPad 2 now or wait for the 3? My parents will wait if I do. Second, should I get the 3g or wifi? Is it worth 130 dollars to have that option for the future?
    Thanks!
    (Assume that the iPad 3 will come out this fall. I know it probably won't, but if it doesn't, I'll just get the 2. So don't say, "You're so stupid! How could you think the 3 is coming out in fall?".)

2. seajay96 macrumors 6502

As of right now, all rumors point to a new iPad in late winter/early spring 2012. The only rumored upgrade that might be worth waiting for is a significant upgrade to resolution...but, of course, no one really knows anything outside of Cupertino, they could add a microwave oven for all we know.

As for 3G or Wi-Fi, it really depends on your planned use. Is it just for around the house for taking with? If it's for taking with, how comfortable are you with open Wi-Fi networks at places like Starbucks or B&N. Also, do you foresee the need to access the internet while on the move (bus, train, etc) where there aren't access points?

Another thing to consider is that the GPS receiver is located on the same circuit board as the 3G radio, so in order to have GPS navigation, you need to buy the 3G version.

Oh, and if you get a 3g data plan, who is going to pay for the monthly fee?

I, for one, would not like my iPad anywhere near as much if it was WiFi only, but I take it everywhere.

3. Firen macrumors regular

Firen

To your question Wifi or Wifi+3G... I for one have a Wifi model and I'm more than happy with it. I use it mostly at home, sometimes at university where I have wifi. When I take it to places where I don't have wifi then I tether my iPhone 3G connection which works really well. I always have my phone with me, no extra charge (at least with my carrier), fast enough connection.

4. Mazenat macrumors member

Get iPad 2, iPad 3 is still far away.

Wifi: if you only going to use it in home/school/work
    3G: if you want to use it in parks/roads/transportation, etc.

get 16G if you don't want to put movies in it
    get 64G if you want to put movies in it

Its that simple ;)

5. trsblader macrumors 6502

I would personally just go with the iPad 2 and wifi.

6. omicron macrumors member

I would get the iPad 2 wifi.
    Reason being that most cellphones that telcos offer are smartphones anyway and if you want to use it on the go you can just tether and save money in the process.

But if you want the convenience without tethering and battery dying on your phone get the 3G version!