Should wireless charging become a standard in the cellular phone market yet?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by east85, Jul 23, 2012.

?

Should wireless charging become a standard in the cellular phone market yet?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Do you think that the technology is there at the moment to at least include wireless charging technology? I suppose even for Apple this could be a major selling point, marketed as "revolutionary" if they were ever to do such a thing. It kind of runs on the ethos of simplicity by eliminating cables. What are your thoughts on this?

2. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

My HP TouchPad wirelessly charges, out of the box. Apple doing it wouldn't be revolutionary.

3. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

I'd rather be able to use my phone while it's charging. I imagine that if it was confined to sitting on a cradle I couldn't be able to hold it or type on it. Until we develop true wireless electricity and stop deluding ourselves with conductive mats I don't think it will catch on.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Whats the point of wireless technology if I have to keep the phone on a surface? :confused: Until it can wirelessly charge my phone while its near my face without burning my face off I prefer the plug.

5. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

As others have said, unless there's a way to do it without it having to rest on some sort of charging pad/matt, it's kinda pointless since the phone needs to remain in place -- just as it would if it were plugged into an outlet/USB port.

6. smoledman macrumors 68000

I bet the iPhone 5 will have inductive charging. Apple always needs a new hook.