Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
I'm getting some pretty strong push back from my friends for buying the iPad. I feel like they are acting like a wife would to their hubby for buying a new toy.

So is it envy?

Is it genuine concern that I may be frivolously spending money in this down economy?

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
It's not really any of their business what you spend your money on...I would tell them to shut the hell up.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
Why do you care what your "friends" think? What are you like 12? (if so, then I get it actually)

Just smile and tell them it's like tasting chocolate for the first time. It might look like sh*t if you haven't tried it, but ooh man it tastes like nothing else.

FWW

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Anchorage, AK
I'm getting some pretty strong push back from my friends for buying the iPad. I feel like they are acting like a wife would to their hubby for buying a new toy.

So is it envy?

Is it genuine concern that I may be frivolously spending money in this down economy?

Kick them in the jacobs and walk away. Who cares what they think... You're not making them buy it...

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009

So is it envy?

envy? doubtful. it's just that a lot of people don't see the point of having an ipad when so many folks already have most bases covered with smartphones, netbooks, PC's, Kindles, etc. It's kind of a stretch to claim that an iPad is a "must have", but hey, it's YOUR money (presumably--you didn't rob a bank did you?)

but do you really need to justify ANY of your purchases to anyone? maybe the wife, but that's about it. (at least that SHOULD be the extent of it)

laela

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
Definitely, you should think twice. Your friends, if no one else, are in a good position to judge you and your situation in life. That 500 bucks could have probably been put to much better use if your friends think so.

If iPad is so good you thought it was worth buying today, then surely V2 is also around the corner and would have been cheaper/better value.

/me is also just bitter that iPad is responsible for killing the MBP line.

lotusindigo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
/me is also just bitter that iPad is responsible killing the MBP line.

Wow, this is news to me. And probably everybody else.

OP, I would try to judge objectively at the manner that your friends were telling you that you wasted your money. If they were being insulting in any way, then it's unlikely that they were genuinely concerned. A lot of people have unfounded hostility towards the iPad for some reason. If they seemed to be speaking to you logically, then maybe they were trying to help. It doesn't mean that their opinions are of any value to you, either way. Shake 'em.

yyy

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
If you think this is the right device for you and you're actually happy with it then you shouldn't care what other people say. If you bought it just so you can be part of the "revolution" you should :D

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#

So is it envy?

Why do you care what your friends think?

Simply stated, it's your money to spend on what you want.

laela

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
wow! another fortune teller. tell me, what stocks should I buy this monday to quadruple my money within one year?

Well, not quadruple.

TTWO should be good value, and are a prime acquisition target in 2010/2011. Nissan, maybe, if it pulls back. With the Nissan Leaf and Toyota's situation, they are in a prime position to make a kill. SBUX suffered an unjust pullback when they announced dividends, they are a good safe bet.

AAPL and GOOG are good as always but they are rather at a peak at the moment, so I'd feel bad about buying them now. Still, I expect them to continue growing. Ideally you'd want to wait for some kind of pullback. Oh, and NTDOY. 3DS FTW.

All in all, I'm thinking TTWO is your best bet, especially since you expect such big gains from the stock market. For those kinds of gains, you need to be willing to risk it a little. Consult the Motley Fool on this also.

DemonBob

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2010
Bolton, NC

So is it envy?

They are probably upset that they can't leech beer money off of you this weekend because you spent it a on an iPad.

ukyo229

Jan 27, 2010
If they are your real friends, then I would say you didn't really need an iPad and bought one out of materialism. If that is the case, I agree with them.

Edit: In response to people saying "who cares what your friends think" or "it's none of their business" .... what a lonely life you must have.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2008
gotta agree with this one. Often times friends can help you to see things you cant see about yourself. When Ive made, or have been getting ready to make an expensive purchase and mentioned it to friends often times they made a comment that made me change my mind. I tend to be materialistic myself, and am prone to make irrational decisions in regards to what I spend my money on. Im grateful that at those times Ive had friends to prevent me from blowing my money on what will ultimately be yet one more inanimate object sitting around gathering dust.

Just remember, $500.00 is not an insignificant amount of money. But if you have that much cabbage laying around, dont have other financial obligations to take care of, AND are still saving money for a rainy day than there is not any reason why you can not go out and buy an ipad.

If they are your real friends, then I would say you didn't really need an iPad and bought one out of materialism. If that is the case, I agree with them.

Edit: In response to people saying "who cares what your friends think" or "it's none of their business" .... what a lonely life you must have.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
This is why friends are a waste. It is none of their business. Tell them to cram it. Remember what they said as well. When they break down and ask to play with it, slap them and throw them out.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Tell your friends the iPad is (stealing from an old breath mint commercial here) two things at once. It is both a gaming toy and a tool where you can get valuable work done. One one hand you can play games, cruise the internet and on the other you can read textbooks, type documents, email, look up information. I sure it won't be long until someone here tells us they can log into their work account and get some real work done while on the go.

Either way, you didn't waste your money if you enjoy using whatever you buy.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Doing worry about it, most likely they are just secretly jealous.

This brings up one thing I've heard a lot when people are talking about the iPad, whether a person really needs it? But it's a stupid argument since almost anything a person buys they don't really need. You only really need food, clothes and shelter. A lot of the rest is just for entertainment. Ask these friends of your if they have a tv or computer or nice clothes or a cell phone or video game system or any other item that is not truly necessary, but which makes life more entertaining.

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
Actually it helps the economy, so you could be part of an upswing.

I just wish that they were made in America by americans. Now that would be even sweeter. :D

Every time I go shopping I tell my husband that I am going to help out the economy. He just smiles. :)

Waiting for the 3g here before I can help it out even more. ;):D

satelshawn

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
Feelin' ya

So is it envy?

I'm feeling ya man. I haven't gotten mine yet and I have plenty of friends dissing everyone who's thinking about getting one. Several have threatened to even "de-friend" anyone on Facebook that purchases one.

Its our own money and what we do with it is our own business. I have more than enough disposable income.

As for those of you who think this killed the MBP line, what drugs are you smoking? You think that the entire company focuses every single bit of its resources on a single product? If anything the iPad has likely affected the new iPhone a lot more than the new MBP's.

Just hold your horses on the MBP's they will be out soon enough. Without inside knowledge as to what new develop is going into them or problems with the supply or availability of the new processors etc you have no room to bitch about the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.