Should you buy the 32GB iPhone if the 4G iPhone is on its way?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Boesky, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Boesky macrumors 6502

Isnt this the year for the 4G iPhone? 32GB of storage wont even be nearly used up.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No, the 4G probably won't hit until next year. That'd be my guess based on the current upgrade schedule we have seen.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Why stop waiting. As soon as the 4G is announced, the 4 GS or 5 will eventually be released...

When and if you want an iPhone - buy it. There will always be something down the line that's better/faster/cooler but you'll wait until infinity if you keep waiting for the NEXT thing instead of enjoying it now...

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It would be highly unlikely that the 4G would be released out of the current update schedule. Given the history of it and contracts and what not. Also, given the amount of effort it takes to push the iPhone out, it def. will be after Snow Leopard.

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

Get it now! Everyone's talking about "Ohhh the 2010 iPhone is going to be the best...yeah, and so is the 2011 one.." Live for today.

6. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

7. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

lol im thinking we're in 2010. i just woke up from a nap. i mean next year is the 4g ,right?

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Next June is the most educated guess.

9. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Why not next July? Because the 3G was in July. the 3GS in June. The OGiPhone was in June? (me thinks)

10. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Because WWDC is always in June and that is when it will more than likely be announced. No one can predict the release time, but its easy to predict the announcement.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes to clarify mine was more towards June as the announcement.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Get the 3GS now, and when the 4G comes out sell your GS for what the new one costs.

13. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Well said. Agreed.

14. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

im getting a 3gs regardless. im just wondering if i should get the 16 or 32

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Depends on your size as you lose the same amount of money due to depreciation.

16. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

I'm waiting for the 7g, rumor has it it comes with mind control.

17. liltechdude macrumors member

There's also another thing to consider. A year from now, 4G will be on its first baby steps. If you remember, Apple decided not to put 3G into the first iPhone because the 3G platforms (baseband chips) at the time were power hogs and they weren't very reliable. This will probably be the case with 4G around this time next year. That being said, it is doubtful that 4G will be available in the next iPhone because Apple doesn't like to adopt new technologies until the bugs/kinks have been worked out.

So, IMO, just buy the new iPhone. Stop worrying about a new one coming out. It's at least 11 months before this will be happening.

18. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

More like 7.2 HSDPA will be in its baby steps. AT&T isn't rolling that out until the "end of 09" (aka 2010). 7.2 won't finish until 2011.

I'd expect LTE sometime in 2012.

Next iPhone, IMO, will have a multicore processor (adding better battery life), a new case design and probably 1-2 other features. A Verizon iPhone is very iffy, depends on whether Apple and Verizon can come to terms.

19. liltechdude macrumors member

I was assuming that the ATT exclusivity contract would be up and Apple would start offering the iPhone to other carriers already ready with LTE (i.e Verizon Wireless).

20. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Possible, but that combines two HUGE IFs. First Apple and Verizon would have to settle their differences, then Apple would have to see Verizon's LTE far enough along and with enough promise that it'd put an LTE radio along with the CDMA radio in for 2010.

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

22. lavinci macrumors 6502

Technology evolves literally every second. Get the best now and be happy with it until the next generation. Most of the members here buy it every year and that time will definitely be around June to July.

23. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Because Verizon's iphone release will coincide with the 4G and ATT probably wont want to wait until July and let Verizon be a month ahead of them. Just speculation on my behalf

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

As others have basically said, if you wait for the latest and greatest, you will end up never enjoying a product.

It looks like Apple will use June-July to announce and release new versions of the iPhone.

Here in Japan, cell phones and most other electronics are usually updated on a 6 month cycle. Not sure about the rest of the world. In the next few years, I don't see Apple changing to a more frequent upgrade schedule, but it's anybody's guess.

25. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you're worried about 4G, ha! First of all, how much coverage will AT&T or Verizon get with it? Clear has the first 4G network, and it's in all of 4 cities. Oooooh. It's built more for home subscribers (DSL replacement), and it's hella expensive.

Next, battery. 3G sucks battery. 4G would suck it even more. Apple waited on a 3G device for a year because of battery issues. What makes you think this will be different?