Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

U88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
Recently I've been reading up on lots of MBP accidents that lead to the precious aluminum casings to get scratched, dented, etc. Such a scary thought, especially on expensive machines...

So if you have a story to share about your MBP's near-death experiences, post em! Perhaps it was spared from a hardshell case, or just from a lucky catch. If the unfortunate did happen, did you fork out the money to get it repaired or live with it?

Quad 2.5 G5 =)

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2009
Recently I've been reading up on lots of MBP accidents that lead to the precious aluminum casings to get scratched, dented, etc. Such a scary thought, especially on expensive machines...

So if you have a story to share about your MBP's near-death experiences, post em! Perhaps it was spared from a hardshell case, or just from a lucky catch. If the unfortunate did happen, did you fork out the money to get it repaired or live with it?

I'm happy to say that I've never had any issues with my 17" 2.6 Non-unibody. It's scratch free, and the only problems I have had with it was a dead Superdrive (Applecare=Free repair) and a chewed up MagSafe adapter (Replaced free). The 8600M GT is still going strong, with no signs of failure yet.

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
Both of my drops were fairly low, 2 ft max.
Dropped it once on cement while putting it in my backpack like two months ago
My nephew kicked it off the couch the other day onto the marble floor (someone got backhanded :))
No dents on scratches on the mbp casing since I had the speck satin on it.
Hopefully Apple's build quality holds up to internal shock but so far so good :apple:

CW Jones

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2009
CT
No issues with my 15" 2009. The only mark I see is in the lid and it looks like a tiny tiny tiny little chip. Very tiny though, and I am not worried at all. I don't see any scratches or anything on it either.

Gucci Mane

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2010
i drove with mine on top of the car. I didn't even notice until my friend who was behind me started honking, and i stopped. I had an is350 lexus at the time which is quite fast and i gunned it from a stop so it went flying right off the top of my car. Needed a new logic board, everything was completely bent and scratched and dented. I got another one, and one day i put it on top of my trunk while i grabbed things from the back seat, it slid off while it had a USB hard drive plugged in. The port got pretty severely bent upwards to a point that i couldn't close the screen anymore. I currently have a new i7, no accidents yet.

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Both of my drops were fairly low, 2 ft max.
Dropped it once on cement while putting it in my backpack like two months ago
My nephew kicked it off the couch the other day onto the marble floor (someone got backhanded :))
No dents on scratches on the mbp casing since I had the speck satin on it.
Hopefully Apple's build quality holds up to internal shock but so far so good :apple:

Why would someone kick a costly Laptop onto a marble floor?

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
Why would someone kick a costly Laptop onto a marble floor?

it was on the couch and he was jumping on it or something, bad decision on my part to leave it unattended though

I now hate speck cases though since it caused a scratch not from dust but from the case itself. Though it did save my MBP from dents...

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I dropped my messenger [style] bag with my MacBook Pro in it. I didn't check the machine until the next morning, but when I did it was working, so I didn't bother. Couple days later the hinge snapped, so yeah... :eek:

Heat305

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
www.booqbags.com/laptop-backpacks-laptop-bags/13-inch-macbook-bags/Taipan-shadow-S-black-laptop-messenger-bag;jsessionid=h2nfMZ2QyGGJLbQFXX957qM2s4wdBL6LpLN6nJ3jym2xdvYvLNSfPJ2pwCnxzsrJG1Glk3GFsVPj0nV22zXLJJFHftTQ92KDj51dD9Lqhmg6WhnwXMRyg4d972KhjhCY!1751332159

Never had a problem with this setup, I mean I have invisible scratches from placing the charger on the machine(magsafe you can barely see, I also have a moshi palmguard and keyboard cover. Never had a problem especially with booq bags. but those booq bags are legit:D HIGH QUALITY STUFF:D

deeesea

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2010
I've been throwing my laptop around. it's sitting in a speck case, so the case is quite beat up. kinda just plop the machine everywhere w/o an issue, took the case off a week or so ago, no scratches, sooo meh I'm happy.

my old macbook, i lent to a friend and she wore her Louis Vuitton belt sideways, so the giant LV metal badge just rubbed against the top lid of my macbook. so it had this weird swinging line scratch going across the machine. but i didn't really care no damages internally, and that's all that matters.

wakeborder556

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Mine fell of top bunk bed, the third bed up. Nothing happend to it a little ding in aluminum that i easily fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.