Should you remove the SIM card if you're selling your used iPad 2 3G?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by themp, Mar 7, 2012.

1. themp macrumors member

So I bit the bullet and pre-ordered a new iPad and now I'm selling my iPad 2. I was wondering though, should I remove my SIM prior to selling it? I have used the data plan, so the SIM is activated, but perhaps I could just delete my account? Anyone have any info?

Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

When selling a 3G iPad in the US, just deleting or removing your account information is all you should do. When selling any iPhone, you should always remove the SIM card.

3. themp thread starter macrumors member

4. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I'd remove it just to be safe, that's what ATT told me anyway. The new buyer has to set up their own acct anyway.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

For iPads, it's best to leave it in. The SIM card contains no personal information, unlike iPhone ones. And having to get a new one from AT&T is a hassle.

6. c3m macrumors member

I don't see a reason why you shouldn't remove it.
    It's yours. It's not like the other end can't use the device if the sim card is not in it.

Do it just because an iPad does not come with one alread install in the machine
    Bottom line is, if you have to ask then it's better to just take it out before you sell it. That way you won't have to keep thinking about what would happen to the sim

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

US iPads do come with a SIM card already installed. No reason to have two iPad micro-SIMs if you only have one iPad.