Shouldn't it automatically add the second quotation mark/parenthesis?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Dec 25, 2011.

1. TH55, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011

TH55 macrumors 68030

I don't understand, it is very annoying to have to toggle back through to the second keyboard seconds later, it makes no sense and is incredibly inefficient. It is shocking as advanced as autocorrect is that this doesnt exist. We know it would be very easy for apple to implement. Is there an app (3rd party even) that does this?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Tell me, how would the iPhone know when to insert the ending quote or parentheses?

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

It's a smart phone, it should just know :p

I was thinking the same thing.

4. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Maybe something like triple tap the spacebar? since double take is for a period

5. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

With full stops (or "periods" if you're from the US) can be predicted if you insert two spaces. Obviously the iPhone will insert a period here.

With question marks, it could be predicted by the leading word in the sentence (i.e. What, Where, When, Why, etc.), but it currently doesn't, because it's not always the case that these might be questions.

With quotation marks and brackets, the iPhone has no way of telling when you need to add one at the end.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Mind reading.
    Coming on the next iOS version:D

7. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

With sensors attached to you're head? :rolleyes:

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, wireless though;)

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I don't think you've thought this through.

10. DroidRules macrumors 65816

It seems OP realized how dumb his post was and has now abandoned his own thread.

11. aztooh macrumors 6502a

How about if there's an open quotation, a double tap of the spacebar adds the closing quotation mark and a triple tap adds the period? Same for parenthesis.

Never really thought about it before, but doesn't seem like it's that illogical as a couple of people are making it to be and definitely seems there could be a solution to it very easily.

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

And:

• 4 taps for a comma
    • 5 taps for an exclamation point

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Quickly! Make a patent out of that!

14. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

No I just have a life. It is not a dumb post, what's dumb is having to go back and forth constantly to quote or parenthesize. As somebody said, double or triple tapping the space bar would easily fix this.

15. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

A better suggestion would be to allow the rest of the keys to be able to long press for respective symbols, like much of Android third party keyboards do. Some even allow you to customize which symbol will go with which letter. Wish Apple (and the stock Android keyboard) would open up these possibilities. There's so much that can be done to improve keyboards on touch screens.

For example:

Attached Files:

16. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I just go into the symbols keyboard, tap out the beginning and end quotes "" or parens () and then tap to position the cursor in between them and type what I need to type.

17. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S (64GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Cool, thanks! I didn't think autocorrect would work if you did that, but it does. :)

18. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

But then that would mean you can't hold a letter to get to the other forms of the letter like é. Personally, if I had to pick between your option and what we have now, I'd pick your option

19. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yes, the android keyboard is often superior IMHO.

I also wish the apple keyboard wold display lowercase letters when the shift/caps lock is not pressed.

20. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Anyone who has used a decent programmer's text editor knows how this works. You type the opening brace/parenthesis etc. and it inserts the closing character after the caret.

21. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Which is fine if you have arrow keys to quickly move the caret past the closing character. Doing this with a touch on the iPhone or iPad is not efficient at best and downright pain in the ass at worst. The cursor almost never goes where I want it when I try to touch it somewhere.

22. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Well, when want to exit the grouping, just tap in the whitespace anywhere to the right of the caret, or if you're within a block of text, just tap and hold. It's probably on par with tapping the '123' button and finding your desired closing brace. Then again, you're usually typing in a stream, rarely going back to add in existing text so you've usually got the easy to hit whitespace to the right.

23. matttye macrumors 601

Actually android supports the other forms too. You long press on the key and the number/symbol pops up along side the variants of the letter.

For example, my keyboard pops up a window that shows "3 é è" etc when I long press on "e"

I have suggested this feature to apple already because I use passwords with a lot of numbers in and it would save me time.

----------

Triple tapping the space bar is more key presses than the existing solution genius :rolleyes:

What's so hard about typing () and then positioning the cursor within the brackets to type?

24. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

It's actually not that difficult of an implementation.

You automatically put the end quote/parenthesis right after the first one, but with the cursor in between them. So then the user types his stuff inside, and then clicks outside.

25. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

The ICS keyboard indeed has come a long way, and having used both iOS and Android keyboards extensively, I can say the ICS is better. It's more responsive, and has smarter autocorrection (the iPhone 4 missed keys way too often, resulting in typos or ridiculous autocorrections, the latter of which has spawned multiple websites detailing exactly how ineffective iOS autocorrection can be). Editing is slightly easier with iOS' keyboard however, though the ICS has finally made some headway since Gingerbread. It's such a shame Google won't push their keyboard even further and allow for such things as custom auto corrections (which iOS does have) or customizable long press for secondary symbols across the board, and for those who want to, customizable key height/sizes (like some third party keyboards allow). If Google wants to truly be fully customizable and personalized, it should implement these features. This is one area it doesn't need to copy Apple. (Another example? Gingerbread used to allow unlimited items in folders. ICS allows only 16).