iPad mini Shouldn't the iPad mini with Retina display be out of stock?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 158273, Nov 14, 2013.

1. 158273 macrumors regular

I don't understand. I thought these were severely constrained.

Even with the quiet launch, I expected the word to spread around and everyone to rush online to order one and the shipping dates to skyrocket... but it seems like shipping is still 1-3 days.

Local Best Buy's where I live still have some in stock too.

Am I just looking at this too early and that by the time December comes, there really will be none for those who wanted one for Christmas?

2. rrjr80 macrumors member

rrjr80

I still think it is a little early to expect shortages, especially considering that Apple didn't do much publicizing of the launch. I suspect that closer to the holidays it will become more constrained. After Thanksgiving will give us a better idea of whether Apple can keep up with demand.

Grab one while you can.

3. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

The news outlets report no availability of cellular and limited availability of wifi versions, but they only mention in-store inventory.

1-3 day shipping (wifi) and 5-10 day shipping (cellular) is still the estimation on store.apple.com

So not really scarce.

4. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

Not sure about elsewhere, but the Apple retail stores don't have any supply. Well, for collection, that is.

I awoke at 6am to reserve for collection, alas, all units showing as unavailable!

I still have my online order processing, at least.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Outside of MacRumors and other Apple-centric sites, I've only seen a 5-second mention on the local morning TV news.

I also wouldn't be that surprised if many who do know about it are holding off in hopes of getting Black Friday discounts from various places.

6. 158273 thread starter macrumors regular

I did. :)

This is a massive opportunity for anyone who sells on the grey market. The quiet launch plus the fact that you can both order online and possibly find one at your Best Buy means one could stock up on a LOT of Retina iPad mini's and make an incredible profit when they're all gone come December.

7. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Some rumors turn out to be true while others turn out to be false.

8. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

Well, supply very obviously is constrained. There's a reason that you simply will not be sold one in an Apple Store unless you've reserved online. For whatever reason, they're trying out a different approach; the stores are usually the focal point of Apple launches, whereas the retina iPad mini is scarcely acknowledged at present.

9. isephmusic macrumors 6502

but what if they dont sell out december and ur stocked up on useless TAXED items.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

That's the risk you take when you attempt speculative scalping.

If you don't know what you'd do in that situation, perhaps you might reconsider.

11. 158273 thread starter macrumors regular

Just phoned the Best Buy and they said that I can't even reserve one on hold since they have limited stock. I guess they really are constrained after all.

Also, good point made by others that since Apple didn't launch it in a big way across all of its stores like it did with the iPhone 5S, then the quiet launch surely must mean that there aren't enough to go around.

I was under the same impression, but when I phoned my Apple Store today, they told me once they get them in stock, I'm free to come and pick one up without reserving online. Maybe Canada is more chill ;)

Sure, I pay twenty dollars in taxes when I buy one in Canada, but this is money I can easily make back when I sell it. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Or are you talking about a different kind of tax?

They are not useless items, they are highly desirable items. Even if Apple did not run out of stock throughout December, I am 100% confident I'll be able to sell back the brand, new, unopened iPad mini's exactly at the price I bought them.

But because they will sell out -- otherwise Apple would be launching the mini with more pizazz instead of just online -- I will make a wonderful profit from my little investments. ;)

That's why I mentioned earlier that this is a huge opportunity. The certainty that Apple will experience shortages come Christmas is 100%, the desirability for these devices is through the roof, the risk of not being able to sell them come Christmas is 0%.

And on top of all that, the amount of iPad mini's I can buy at this moment are unlimited (provided I don't use the same Apple account and also stock up from physical locations like Best Buy).

All in all, it's a free for all. A veritable bonanza.

---

The only risk is the imagined one you might feel in your mind.

What if Apple does have more than enough of them in stock? What if gamutgate goes viral and no one wants to buy the iPad minis? What if everyone who wants one for Christmas already ordered one?

But when you look back at the objective picture, all of those worries dissipate. Apple is absolutely constrained with the production. Apple will absolutely run out of them. People will absolutely be scrambling to still get one for Christmas. People will absolutely be willing to pay a mark-up in order to receive one of the few available ones from me.

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Based on the way Apple is selling them they look fairly constrained to me. You can't go into an Apple retail store and buy one like you always could do with an Air or even an iPhone 5s (assuming it was in stock). Apple is requiring all store sales to be done via online and when stores get them in they go rather quickly.

Now it is curious as to why the two low end WiFi units are 1-3 days shipping and everything else is 5-10. Regardless, 5-10 days to ship is really 10-15 days for actual delivery. For people giving gifts it's close call. I think a lot of people would rather just play "roulette" and keep checking the inventory check periodically hoping a batch of the model they want comes in to a local store.

Plenty of other variables too. Bottom line: it's impossible to tell whether an item is constrained just by looking at shipping times. Apple could have it down to the point where it can keep a regular 1-3 and 5-10 shipping promise by limiting in-store sales. It certainly appears that is why Apple is doing.

13. AppleRobert macrumors 603

60% of BB stores within 25 miles of my zip code show stock for 16GB space grey.

I would not know how many each store has though, maybe lots maybe just a few. A silent launch can only go so far with any Apple product. :D

14. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

of course we all don't know for sure when that time will hit. but they did a silent launch for a reason. I still think it's a bit early to say. Come Thanksgiving or December....there may not be many around. BUT you never know!

15. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I ordered at 5:00 PM on the 12th because I had to return a couple iPad Airs that didn't work out. I'm still in processing for two 128GB AT&T. My guess is the 5-10 days is going to be accurate in my case. The 64GB and 128GB cellular available for pick up yesterday evening in the 20 nearest stores are all gone this morning. That is limited supply in my opinion. 5-10 days is also out of stock in my opinion, but apple still has enough capacity to produce in that time frame. I'm pretty sure out of stock would have happened with a big pre-sale announcement.

16. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

So let me get this straight. You purchase these, tying up your own capital, using time and effort to collect and store them, with the HOPE that you MIGHT be able to resell them for better than you paid for them IF the supply chain (that you have NO knowledge of whatsoever other than what you've gleaned from dubious Internet sources) cannot supply enough for Apple to maximize their own profits during the next month and a half. Even IF you sell them all, you will have spent some significant amount of time marketing, dealing with inquiries, paying fees or spending time meeting people.

Great business plan my friend. :D

17. 158273 thread starter macrumors regular

Put it this way: If the iPad mini I keep for myself turns out to have the yellow tint, I'll have 5 others to open. ;)

18. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

ha, funny guy

19. Supra Mac macrumors regular

Which models did you get?

20. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

resellers do this all the time on ebay with other products. it's a risk that some are willing to take. it may pay off...it may not.

21. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

Lol'd. ;)

22. 158273 thread starter macrumors regular

16 GB black Wi-Fi. This allows me to buy the most iPad minis for my money; it also allows me to charge a higher mark-up without the price scaring people away and going into the 1000's, like it would if I were to buy 128 GB ones.

As the base model, 16 GB is also the likely model that parents buying presents for their kids will want, as well as people who can't get one anywhere else and are willing to settle.

I will buy some of the white ones too, though. Those are popular.

23. Hoyasaxa macrumors member

Apple could have done one of two things:

1. Normal massive rollout and all stock gone by Black Friday while they take a beating in the media for not having any stock for the christmas rush.

or

2. A measured roll out through online ordering, small stock sendouts to brick and mortar stores and at least the general aura that a device with limited supply is still realistically available.

Either way, Apple is selling their full allottment of Retinas by Xmas so they're not losing any money. The current strategy has the added benefit of them not getting slammed in the media (and possibly in their stock price) for a poor-product rollout with a dearth of supply. Combine that with the fact that some people now that the device is out will gravitate towards the Air either as a product choice or due to product availability and Apple is still setting themselves up to basically wipe out all available Mini stock and throw in a few extra Airs on top. I suspect the main impetus is really the concern over the PR hit that happens when Apple bills it as an "IPad Christmas" and then is perceived not to have any iPads to actually sell.

Which is why, even though I'm saving money for a new laptop in January, I'm not on the reselling kick that I occasionally go on. I suspect that people have enough time to wait on the Mini availability right now either by ordering one or playing store roulette, or they'll simply go the Air route. Or if they're buying it for a kid, just save 100 bucks and get them a first-gen mini. iPads aren't phones, they're a secondary device, and more than that, they're a secondary device with a ton of options and alternatives that make paying a premium on the secondhand market unlikely. Of course, that's all just IMO...

24. creed16 macrumors member

It does seem constrained. There is no apple store within 150 miles of me. Only one BB within 70 miles. So having access to a store that I can actually go pick one up is nil. Sure, I can order online from apple , but I would much rather pick it up in person. I am waiting patiently as sooner or later BB should actually receive some stock. Right?

25. Hoyasaxa macrumors member

I'd just put in your order and wait a few days. I ordered within minutes of the release and the delay to get it is a week. Get exactly what you want and order now while it's still 5-10 days instead of feeling forced into whatever limited stock a respective store, which is an hour plus away to begin with (!) gets.