should've upgraded USB charger, with 42.5Wh battery it'll take ages to recharge

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area
... it's 70% more battery - expect up to two times longer to recharge

And imagine how long it will take if you charge it from USB port of your Mac/PC :(

when I'm at friend's house trying to recharge iPad with old PC it only adds about 20% overnight :eek:

nbuubu

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
The only thing they can do to get the iPad to charge faster is bump up the amperage, it needs to stay 5V to remain within USB spec.

The only reason your iPad takes so long to charge on an old PC ... is because you're charging it on an old PC. USB ports on older PCs tended to have low amperage, that's the same reason many bus-powered portable hard drives won't work on an old computer USB port.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I know the new MBP's had a thing where it bumps up whatever it is in the USB when charging and iPad to charge faster.

My ASUS mobo in my PC also has a 3x faster charging thing for apple devices on the USB3 ports. Charges crazy fast.

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
They might have to soon. 10w isn't going to cut it with the current capacity....

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
I think it's funny that charging an iPad 3 off my 2010 MBP's battery would completely drain my MBP's battery and only give the iPad 3 a 70% charge.

Charging this thing is going to be fun...

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area
I think it's funny that charging an iPad 3 off my 2010 MBP's battery would completely drain my MBP's battery and only give the iPad 3 a 70% charge.

Charging this thing is going to be fun...
Haha, imagine headlines: "The New iPad kills MBPs for fun, eats them for breakfast" :eek::D:p

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
There's a good chance that the new iPads will feature increased amperage to charge faster.

Remember also that the iPad has always had a brick (2x2x1) charger versus the iPhones which just have the standard 1"inch cube. I am not positive but the iPad brick might have the increased capacity to deliver higher amperage necessary to charge the new iPad faster.

Why in the world would people give me thumbs down for this post? I am only taking a guess at what could be the possibility. No one will know how long it takes to charge until the iPad comes out on friday.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
There's a good chance that the new iPads will feature increased amperage to charge faster.

Remember also that the iPad has always had a brick (2x2x1) charger versus the iPhones which just have the standard 1"inch cube. I am not positive but the iPad brick might have the increased capacity to deliver higher amperage necessary to charge the new iPad faster.
No, the new iPad is the same amperage, as indicated by the 10W wall charger still.. :)

Last edited:

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
hmm can we use one of those USB wall chargers to charge our iPad?
[kinda like this http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Port-USB-Wall-Charger/dp/B003C2T0C2]

or is it only through computers? sry lame question..
I'm guessing you don't have an iPad yet, Apple includes a USB wall charger in the box which charges much faster than just connecting an iPad to a computer. This thread is just saying that because Apple hasn't updated their wall charger then the new iPad will take a lot longer to charge.

Last edited:

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
Did the previous iPad pull the entire 10W? A 10W charger tells you the maximum amount of power that it can put out. If, for example, the old iPad was only pulling 4W and the new one pulls 8W, then the total amount of recharge time should remain about the same even on the same charger.

I doubt Apple would have overlooked something like that.

Edit: These numbers are made up and are for discussion purposes only. I do not know what the actual power draw of these devices are.

Last edited:

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Did the previous iPad pull the entire 10W? A 10W charger tells you the maximum amount of power that it can put out. If the old iPad was only pulling 4W and the new one pulls 8W, then the total amount of recharge time should remain about the same even on the same charger.

I doubt Apple would have overlooked something like that.
If the old iPad only drew 4W, then the iPhone charger would've been sufficient, as it outputs 5W. :)

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
If the old iPad only drew 4W, then the iPhone charger would've been sufficient, as it outputs 5W. :)
I was using made up figures. I should have stated that.

My point is the 10W charger has a maximum throughput of 10W, that doesn't mean the iPad pulls an entire 10W.

Last edited:

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
it kinda says so on Apple website ....

Do I need to wait to see if 2+2≠5 ?
The iPad has no flaws and if Apple says 2+2=5 then why shouldn't we believe them?

Seriously though, the thing I love most about my iPhone is that even though the battery sucks, 15 minutes of charging can bring me back to 40%. But the last gens of iPads charge so slow already so it will be interesting to see how long it takes to charge this larger battery with the same old charger.