Show NBC America Still Believes in God

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jeremybuff, Mar 29, 2009.

1. jeremybuff macrumors regular

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

3. jeremybuff thread starter macrumors regular

4. danny_w macrumors 601

I just boted NO. So far it's running 87% NO, and only 13% YES.

5. jeremybuff thread starter macrumors regular

I voted NO as well.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't care that much, to be honest, but I do think the phrase honors our traditions as a people, and I do also think that, as something we see here on the PRSI in comparing our American sensibilities to those of our British friends, we are honestly, though not a Christian state, also not an atheistic one. Although few Americans may choose the terms, we really are much more agnostic or universal spiritualists at our cultural core than we are atheists. Belief is a very American value, and I think one I too cherish.

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I just voted yes as well.

Simply put. I love my country. I question those in charge from time to time, and I do not believe in God. To be patriotic is not, to believe in God. Sorry to say we are a nation of Americans not Christians.

Now, I do not believe it should be removed from our money because of the separation of church and state. Printing "In God we Trust" is not saying "In Christianity we Trust", big difference.

I really couldn't care less if it is there or not. There just words, that's all.

8. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

I voted yes - remove it. That phrase got added in in the 50s when we were all running around scared of the 'godless commies' and has nothing to do with our history.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Because I don't believe in the existence of god, nor do I believe that religion has any place in our government, and since currency falls under government, and god falls under religion, I do not believe it should be on our money.

I think "In god we trust" has been on our currency since the 1800s. "Under god" was added to the Pledge of Allegiance in the 50s, and yes, I also think that needs to go as well.

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I voted yes. They should have a variety of sayings, like Taco Bell sauces.

"there's probably no god. now stop worrying and enjoy your life"
    "Drink Coca-Cola"
    etc. etc.

That recent poll had the non-believers at ~15%, so it's not too far off :)

11. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust

It first appeared on a coin in the mid 1800's but was legalized in the 50's.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Wow, this is well said.

I know that many atheists aren't into having spiritual or religious references in anything supported by the government, but the constitution doesn't really say anything specifically providing for any "separation of church and state." The provision is against an establishment of a single religion, and referencing God doesn't necessarily do that.

Besides, is it really horrible, evil, or miserable to say "In God We Trust?" Is it really bringing people down when they hear it? I'll admit I don't understand where the offense lies, but then, I'm not an atheist.

13. jeremybuff thread starter macrumors regular

I believe that we should keep with what our nation was founded on. "In God We Trust" puts nothing at all on anyone's shoulders and there is no good reason to remove it. If you do not believe in God, then you do not believe in God.

The phrase has zero effect on religion and state, and to put it blatantly, the state has no involvement in Church.

Also, to assume that In God We Trust is only Christian is a very unwise thing to do. One last point: Many Americans believe in a deity of some sort, so the phrase on money does not have to refer to the Christian God. It can refer to anyone's God.

I fail to see any solid reason to remove it, besides people who just do not want it there because they do not believe in it. That's sorta like saying I do not want a Muslim or a Jew as my President because I do not believe in what he believes in.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

15. jeremybuff thread starter macrumors regular

Good point. I do not see offense either. I certainly do not want to offend anyone, but so much of this politically correct crap has influenced so much submission and the hiding of one's values, especially in schools, that it really upsets me.

I stand for my morals and values, but I also stand for other's as well. I do not believe it is very American to try and rip something away from any religious group. However, this entire point is all moot- there is a very powerful separation of Church and state. Anyone who believes otherwise if foolish and causing high-school-like drama, imho.

16. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

What if it said "In Allah we trust" ? This would still bug me because I'd rather not have any god on my money, but I'm guessing it would fire up most christians.

17. hexonxonx macrumors 601

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It would fire up a lot of Christians. Many people don't like to accept that in the grand scheme of things, God, Allah, Jehovah, etc. are all different names for the same entity, they just focus on that different religions use different names or terms.

And your question is somewhat moot, since "God" is an English name and "Allah" is an Arabic name. I'm not sure the U.S. Government is about to start printing anything, much less money, in Arabic over english.

19. jeremybuff thread starter macrumors regular

Great point, and I do understand. All this is just a never ending cycle, and I agree many people would be upset.

I would be upset if we switch to In Allah We Trust all of the sudden. However, if our nation was founded with Allah in mind, it would be much different.

20. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

Then try "In Buddha we trust" that's not a foreign name for any interpretation of god but of a man whose teachings many followed.

Just as crazy as this seems to some, is as crazy as "In God we trust" seems to me.

21. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

22. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I would agree that it sounds crazy if:

(1) We had a more or less equal number of Buddhists in this country as we have Christians, Jews, and Muslims combined, and;

(2) There were more or less an equal number of Buddhists in this country as there were Christians, Jews, and Muslims combined when the Constitution was written and ratified, and;

(3) You can show that there's more or less the same amount of support in the U.S. for placing our trust in Buddha as in God.

Convince me and the majority of Americans of all these things, and I'll be all for it; until then, your argument comes across to me as desperately grasping at straws.

Now, if you're truly offended at having a reference to God on our currency, I'm sure you can do a better job of explaining why. Your argument is more about semantics than the relationship between government and religion.

23. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

First, your title implies all Americans believe in God. Some of us don't.

Second, what about those of us who had no choice but sit through prayer just to get out of the hell that is high school? My graduation had a prayer, but we weren't told about it ahead of time, so we could not chose not to participate, and it was only one particular religion. What about the other religions, or the non-religious? No freedom for us.

Third, you claim "Not American to rip something away from any religious group", but it's perfectly okay to cram religion down our throats? How can that possibly be right?

How about this: please keep your religion...far away from me!

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm not offended, I'm just sick of having religion shoved in my face everywhere I go. I see commercials on TV (major networks, mind you, not TBN) telling me to believe in jesus, I see big jesus billboards on the side of the highway, I have people knock on my door or stand in public places handing out their religious propaganda, or after work I come back to my car in the parking garage and see religious propaganda under my windshield wiper. Everywhere I go, it's shoved in my face. It would just be nice to be able to open up my wallet and not see god plastered all over my money.

You believers might not think it's a big deal, but us nonbelievers get sick of it after awhile. It's bad enough we're probably the religious group that faces the most discrimination (being Atheist pretty much automatically disqualifies you from being elected to public office. There are more Muslims in Congress than there are Atheists for f**ks sake). Can we just have one lousy thing without "god" all over it?

25. jeremybuff thread starter macrumors regular

Are you incompetent? Sorry to be so harsh, but "No freedom for us?" Give me a break! You have got to be kidding me.

You are exactly what is wrong with America- too politically correct, claiming things are being "crammed down your throat" when that is nothing of the sort. Do you watch TV or read magazines?! If that was being "Crammed down your throat" you would not see homosexual versions of shows popping up and right, all the crap that's on The Real World, etc etc etc.

Honestly man, how can you make such a ill-advised, asinine statement as you have done? The bottom line is that no religion is getting crammed down your throat. If you get so pissed off to see a church or someone who does not believe in what you believe in (or don't), then you must get pissed off a lot. How can one with that mentality survive in the business world? I do not get it.

EDIT: what about the "war on Christmas"? What about those "Why Believe in God" billboards that were all over Washington DC? That's cramming down. That's a bunch of good-for-nothing promotion of the abolishment of religion. So what if others believe?