Show of hands: who has abused Verizon's offering?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by revelated, Nov 10, 2010.

1. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

You know what I mean. Don't play dumb.

Who has bought the Verizon/MiFi combo, only to sell the iPad (because you already have one or just don't want it) so that you could get the MiFi on the monthly plan?

Seriously want to know, because after using my Virgin Mobile MiFi for a while as an in-car solution, I really do like it, but I've measured my usage to be approximately 75MB per every two weeks. Virgin Mobile's cheapest is basically $20 a month for 200MB. That's all fine...except for the odd times when I consume more data than that, like today, where I had to dial into a customer's site to answer questions for them. Might as well pay $20 for 1GB rather than $20 for 200MB, logically. However I have no interest in iPad and would basically just sell the thing flat out so I can get the MiFi at a great rate without a contract - especially if I can convince the Verizon rep not to open the wrapping; sell that bad boy new ;)

2. Capt T macrumors 6502a

The virgin mobile mifi is $40 for 30 days unlimited or $10 for 10 days 100mb. It changed in the last month or so. So when your plan runs out that will now be your options.

3. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I don't see Verizon needing to even open up the iPad, there's nothing to activate on their end with it being Wifi. It's not like an iPhone.

4. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

Maybe Verizon would give you the same deal on the MiFi if you went into the store and told them it was for your iPad and you already have an iPad so you really don't want to buy a new one. I don't know if they will or not but it doesn't hurt to ask and will save the hassle of trying to resell.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

In fact I asked about this over the past weekend. The store rep told me that yes, I can get the no-contract, monthly data plan for iPad *without* buying the iPad/mifi combo. The hitch is you have to pay full price for the mifi which is in the neighborhood of $279 or so.

6. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

That's what I'm talking about. $20 for 200MB = double the $10 plan. I calculated it that way since Verizon's plan is $20 for 1000MB.

Plan makes me wish I hadn't sold my old Verizon MiFi. I may look into it. Only thing that has always bugged me about the MiFi is the fact that it wants to go into standby/dormant mode on its own and not stay powered on, even if connected to a charger.

They open up everything to "Set it up" for you. I got a netbook from them, they did it there too even though there's really nothing to "activate", just running VZAccess Manager against it. Bugs me.