Show Your iPhone 3GS Love!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iSpud, Sep 14, 2012.

1. iSpud macrumors member

After iPhone 5's announcement, I have been debating whether or not to upgrade from my 3GS I have owned since late December of 2009. At first, I thought it was a no brainer, but now I'm not so sure.

I installed the developer gm iOS build last night, and am thoroughly impressed with the performance and features. Yes, it can be laggy. Apps don't load instantaneously (Although Safari is...yes, snappier). The camera stinks, the screen is low res, and there is no Siri, whiz-bang 3d maps, turn-by-turn, LTE. But, for what I want out of a phone. It's still all I need.

The screen has a few light scratches, there are some cracks, chips, and dents. There are the inevitable crud in crevices, but gosh darn it, it still works, the battery lasts me a day even with moderate use, and it's old enough where I don't have to handle it like china crystal.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an iPhone 5. But, other than saving $199 and locked in contract, there is something nostalgic about using old tech daily, and having no internal or external pressure to upgrade, just because it's 2 years old and I'm out of contract. Instead of everyone asking if that's the new iPhone, you get people saying "what's that?" "What's that?", you say? "That's my iPhone 3GS, it's been through iOS 3, 4, 5, and now 6, and it's still kickin!"

How many of you are still rockin' your iPhone 3Gs and are in it for the long haul? I might just treat this the way I treat a car. Buy it new and use until the ol' baby dies.

2. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

3Gs is old news baby! Ditch it in the dumpster and get with the young and new! :cool:

3. phillyred79 macrumors regular

I'm rocking a 3gs loaner from Best Buy! I had the choice between a couple different newer Android phones, but when they offered me the 3gs I jumped on it! I just can't live without an iPhone.. However, coming from the 4S it is like night and day!! Screen res is dull, web page loading is slow as hell, and overall the whole phone is just sluggish. I guess I am spoiled. If you like being contract free that's fine, but I'd suggest finding a gently used 4 or 4S, upgrade to a micro sim and swap!

4. lthompson macrumors member

My wife is still using my original 3GS. I called AT&T a couple days ago to get it unlocked and was told we've had it four years. (no problem with the unlock)
    I just ordered the 5 on her line and hopefully I'll take it and give her my 4S. The 3GS will now be used when we vacation in Aruba.

5. mario24601 macrumors regular

They unlock over phone or you have to go into store?

6. lthompson macrumors member

All I did was call. Didn't have to give them the IME or anything else. Then I had to back it up, restore as new then restore from backup.

7. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

Thats cool if it still does what you want it to, but when you eventually decide to upgrade to the latest-and-greatest you'll notice a HUGE difference in speed among many other things.

8. tubalores macrumors member

tubalores

I really like this thread...I find it refreshing. My mom is currently using the 3gs and has NO intention of upgrading. She LOVES it, and gosh darn it, so do I! I have no plans whatsoever to upgrade from my iPhone 4 either. Both phones work beautifully. Yes, the 5 is nice, but I'm in no rush at all to upgrade.

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I still have a 3GS. I bought it two years ago when the 4 first came out. My 32GB 3GS was on sale at BestBuy for $199 so I couldn't resist. My contract on it expired in May so I have been on month to month since then. Eventually I will use this line to upgrade to a 5 but that may not be until January.

Two years ago, I used the old original iPhone to create a new account with unlimited data and used that upgrade to buy the 3GS. It still has unlimited data to this day.

I have a 4S on Verizon and will be canceling it as soon as I can and just stick with AT&T. I can't even make a phone call from my house on Verizon.