Showdogs: A Children’s Movie About Unwanted Sexual Advances

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, May 22, 2018.

1. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I saw a similar story about this movie on Slate, and I have to say I think the complaints are legit.

I’m not one to freak out over things in cartoons, but...having the main character told he must put up with groping that makes him uncomfortable? And telling him to deal with it by removing himself from the experience and mentally going to his “happy place”? Are you kidding?

Saying that this is what actual show dogs go through is idiotically tone deaf. Kids have no way to judge whether they should apply this reaction to their own lives.

I can just see some pervert telling a kid, “Just relax...remember what they told that nice doggy in ‘Show Dogs’?”

Ugh.

3. Mac'nCheese thread starter Suspended

Mac'nCheese

Shoot. That’s a very good point. Maybe I jumped the gun with my sarcastic post.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

Dogs have their bits inspected as part of dog shows. To suggest this in anyway is grooming children for sexualisation is just idiotic.

6. juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

To be fair, from scrolling through the trailer, the whole movie seems idiotic.

7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

It’s not necessarily the act itself. Of course that happens in dog shows.

The focus they placed on it, the dialogue around it and how they decided to frame it (coupled with the PG rating) is what’s problematic and frankly, pretty creepy.

8. Mac'nCheese thread starter Suspended

Mac'nCheese

The movie bombed and was removed from theaters. The producers apologized for the two scenes and will re-release the film after the scenes are edited out.