Showed my iPhone to my friend that works for Microsoft.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seattle, Jul 21, 2008.

1. seattle macrumors 6502

Last weekend I showed my friend my iPhone (1st Gen iPhone) and let him use it for a while. He had just picked up a Windows mobile phone a couple days before and he sat and compared the two phones. His phone was the Verizon Wireless XV6900 I believe.

Here are a couple direct quotes made by him.

"I think the iPhone has a better user interface then my Windows Mobile phone"

"The windows mobile interface is just terrible"

2. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

dude i dont have a friend that works at microsoft and i could have told you that....

3. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

rofl.

That tells you people really underestimate Apple.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

5. seattle thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I know it was just funny to hear it from a Microsoft guy.

6. horre macrumors member

:D Nice one.
    I am surprise though that he didn't pick on the weak points they usually do.. like camera pixel, Video, MMS, SMS forward ..etc. But still, it's good to hear that.

7. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

A coworker and I were struggling with a Microsoft Project issue at work one day. Later that afternoon, he was talking with his brother who is an engineer at Microsoft and he told him about our issues. His brother said, "Holy crap! You guys actually use that junk?! We stopped using that ages ago!"

I think your experience illustrates a key problem with WM: the various teams there don't talk to each other and they don't look to see ifthere might be a more elegant way to interact with their products. Whenever I was using my WM phone, I was frequently wondering if anyone had actually dome a usability study with it.

8. yode macrumors 6502

did he also say how he likes how the iPhone can't tether, can't mms, can't record video, not have expandable memory, and not have a replaceable battery?

9. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Usability study

Much as I'd love not to be able to say this:( but sometimes usability <> usefulness.

I really want to buy an iPhone - my heart says go get it: it's gorgeous, the UI is fantastic, the AppStore looks like being the bee's knees and it's a true all-in-one device but my head says not yet: no cut'n'paste, no editing of Office doucments, no Adobe Flash, crippled Bluetooth stack (no synching address book with my car!!!), no MMS (not a biggie), no landscape keyboard for SMS, and (apparently) early model build quality and reception issues.

None of the downers are apparent in my 18-month old WM6 HTC Tytn II and it's UI is acceptable (not great, acceptable).

I'm going to let the dust settle and Apple release 2.01 to fix some of the issues which affect me, but hopefully sooner rather than later the iPhone's usefulness will catch up with my personal requirements.

10. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

My uncle is a product manager at Microsoft. I'm still waiting for him to finally come down so I can show him my iPhone. I'm sure he's already played around with one by now, though.

11. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I think usability is ALWAYS number 1. The rest doesn't matter if it is not reasonably usable, and that is a standard many mobile devices have failed to meet for many years.

12. tobywuk macrumors member

i had a windows mobile device before the iphone, i hated it. the interface was ugly and the software was slow...

Also, you may giggle, every time you open up an application on windows mobile it stays running in the back ground even if you close it slowing up your phone. when you want to quit the program you have to use task manager.

13. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

God I hate windows mobile.. I dont think anybody buy them at all.. All exchange users use BES...

14. Project macrumors 68020

there are lots of folks at microsoft with an iPhone.

15. garybUK Guest

garybUK

it's only usable by the fact it's got no features on it!! i hate fanboys!
    I had a iPhone 1st Gen and loved the UI but it only works because it's such a basic and backwards device. Get a iPod Touch and a real phone :)

I have my N95 8GB running as a 3G WIFI Access Point so can even use my iPod Touch when i'm out and about on faster speeds than the Iphone 3G :-D

16. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

That seems like a step back, carrying two devices.

17. jk000 macrumors regular

jk000

hahaha couldn't have put it better myself!

18. profetto macrumors regular

My sister has a smartphone with Windows Mobile on it, and honestly, it truly does not compare to the iPhone.

The biggest thing I think that sets the iPhone apart (and theres many) is the ability to use Safari like a normal browser. It's amazing to be able to just double tap and zoom in and zoom out.

19. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Apple is always being watched by Microsoft. All they do now is
    try and copy Apple products. But by the time they do it, Apple is 5 years
    ahead again lol.

The Zune is still the funniest (and most pathetic) thing I've ever seen.

20. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Not as big step as no copy/paste, no mms, no real bluetooth, no flash, no tethering, no front facing camera ... need i go on ? :)

21. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

Just because he's an employee for Microsoft doesn't mean he has to preach about them.

22. Doju macrumors 68000

No, you actually you need not. I'd say it's due to the fact those features are absolutely useless to a large percentage of us, and we couldn't care less if we never receive those features for years to come.

MMS? I don't text pictures. Bluetooth? I'm seventeen. Flash? Fair point, but on perhaps 1% of sites, and none I frequently browse. Front-facing camera? I care, why?

Need you go on? Nope.

23. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Photos of his words, or it never happened. :rolleyes:

R-Fly

24. stanleywinthrop macrumors member

The other day I was having lunch with Bill Gates.

My Iphone 3G rang and I had a short conversation.

Bill seemed curious about the phone and asked to see it. Afte playing with it for about 10 minutes he declared that he had to have one.

I told him it was a 10-20 day wait at AT&T, but suggested that being who he is, I'd bet Steve Jobs would get him one a lot earlier if he called. Bill wouldn't hear of it. He scratched his forehead and asked me what I'd take for mine. Not wanting to give mine up, I threw out a ridiculous figure--$3000. To my suprise old Bill pulled the cash out right there!

25. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

You obviously have no appreciation for simplification. Why dont you go the full mile? I can see the need for a wifi antenna on your head, a dslr and hd video camera around your neck, a full sized keyboard thrown over your shoulder, stereo headphones, vr glasses, and a garmin in your pocket. I guess you better get a really long extension cord also.