Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Is there anyway to do this? I have mine set for 55GB but I am only using 20GB. I would like to shrink my bootcamp partition to 35GB. I have Windows 10 on it but probably won't ever have the need to install Office or any other software on it.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The CampTune software does a good job.
But, if you want to use your macOS utilities:
Open Boot Camp assistant.
Choose to remove the partition that boot camp created.
Re-launch Boot Camp assistant, and make your new boot camp partition in the size that you think you need.
Reinstall Windows.
If you have any files that are important to you in Windows, back up your partition first. Winclone works well for that.
(Notice what I did there? Assuming you do need to backup anything on your Windows partition, You STILL need third party software to do this... )

CampTune makes changing the boot camp partition size much easier.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
The CampTune software does a good job.
But, if you want to use your macOS utilities:
Open Boot Camp assistant.
Choose to remove the partition that boot camp created.
Re-launch Boot Camp assistant, and make your new boot camp partition in the size that you think you need.
Reinstall Windows.
If you have any files that are important to you in Windows, back up your partition first. Winclone works well for that.
(Notice what I did there? Assuming you do need to backup anything on your Windows partition, You STILL need third party software to do this... )

CampTune makes changing the boot camp partition size much easier.

Does this software cost money?

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I like Winclone for this purpose because, as mentioned, you can accomplish the task by backing up, repartitioning and restoring. Winclone also does incremental backups now.

I recommend it highly and no, just like Camptune it isn't free.

Apple offers no non-destructive method for resizing BootCamp partitions.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I like Winclone for this purpose because, as mentioned, you can accomplish the task by backing up, repartitioning and restoring. Winclone also does incremental backups now.

I recommend it highly and no, just like Camptune it isn't free.

Apple offers no non-destructive method for resizing BootCamp partitions.

Thats too bad. Thanks for your help.
[doublepost=1551695041][/doublepost]
Yes, it's $19.95, which by the way is a bargain considering all the work you would need to do if you had to wipe your Boot Camp partition and start over. By the way, WinClone which was mentioned is likewise not free.

Agreed.

ZStech

Suspended
Feb 3, 2019
Is there anyway to do this? I have mine set for 55GB but I am only using 20GB. I would like to shrink my bootcamp partition to 35GB. I have Windows 10 on it but probably won't ever have the need to install Office or any other software on it.
As far as I know it's imposible to shrink Windows partition after installing Windows on it, sorry.

Reactions: jwolf6589

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Looks like a major hassle so I will just leave everything as is. Thanks for your help.
With tools like Winclone and Camptune, it's not a hassle to resize the Bootcamp partition. Winclone even allows incremental backups of your Bootcamp volume. These utilities are definitely worth the money.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
With tools like Winclone and Camptune, it's not a hassle to resize the Bootcamp partition. Winclone even allows incremental backups of your Bootcamp volume. These utilities are definitely worth the money.

Will keep those in mind if I want to spend the money.

skizzo

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2018
I have changed my partitions of Windows 7 and 10 several times in the past. I used free software. Mini Tool's Partition Wizard does the job! Just note that I NEVER mix macOS and other OS such as Windows on the same disk. So when I have done this the disk would have had only Windows on it.

though, if you are unfamiliar with HOW to use it properly you will likely just end up making an unbootable data disk. so proceed with caution

but I have to comment on this whole idea....why is it so important to save such little space...you would save a whopping 20 GB by shrinking the partition. If you are THAT hard up on storage space then you should first invest in larger and/or additional storage options

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I have changed my partitions of Windows 7 and 10 several times in the past. I used free software. Mini Tool's Partition Wizard does the job! Just note that I NEVER mix macOS and other OS such as Windows on the same disk. So when I have done this the disk would have had only Windows on it.

though, if you are unfamiliar with HOW to use it properly you will likely just end up making an unbootable data disk. so proceed with caution

but I have to comment on this whole idea....why is it so important to save such little space...you would save a whopping 20 GB by shrinking the partition. If you are THAT hard up on storage space then you should first invest in larger and/or additional storage options

Its not that big of a deal. If it could be done with apples software for free I would do it. But since I have to spend money I will bypass. I have 173GB free on my Macbook's main drive and that is fine.

nudoru

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2012
Near Charlotte NC
IMHO WinClone is essential for managing Windows partitions and installs - the small price far outweighs the time and pain it would cost you otherwise. With it, cloning, arching, restoring is so easy - not time machine easy, but easier than any native Windows tool I’ve seen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.