Sick 3GS - apple said not to re-synch with back-up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by papergypsy, Feb 2, 2012.

1. papergypsy macrumors newbie

I have an iphone 3GS that I got through ATT as an upgrade. After only 6 weeks it has gotten very sick. First there was no service for calls, then it started cycling on and off every few minutes. Went to ATT and they changed the "failed" sim card and all was well for 6 hours - until again I had no phone service. Called ATT and they said it was a hardware issue and to visit my local Apple store.

Backed up my phone on itunes, then went to the Apple store today and they told me it was a software issue. The "Genius" told me "no problem, I can fix it", and proceeded to wipe my phone clean - nothing on it, including my contacts. As we talked he told me that there might be an issue with the data on the back-up, and that I should manually add back all of my data rather than just do the back-up synch. WTH?

Anybody have this happen, and what did you do? I have no desire to spend hours researching and manually adding my contacts back into my phone.

Thanks!

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Well, is it working properly now? If so... he was probably right. If not, well, you should be getting a new phone. Stuff like contacts, I always back up to Google now. This way it's not up to some backup of my phone that I have in iTunes.