Sick n Tired of all the "Check out my site" threads? Here's another

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Sdashiki, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Yup, its time.

Time for another :

Come Check Out My Website ! ! !
    thread​

This time, it's my website. Nothing fancy, nothing to make me famous, just a good exercise in web design for me.

Just a simple strictly CSS/HTML portfolio site. Granted, it doesnt contain some of my newer digital things, and print work, but its a general overview of some of my art.

NO GOOGLE ADS, NO BLOGS, NO TEMPLATES and certainly NO tables. I know alot of you are bored of seeing those types of sites, so here, check out something a little different. But, alas, I havent purchased a domain name (the .com i want is taken, and who wants .net anyway!?) so its on a free hosting site since the site is quite small (15mb total). So i guess my site isnt as cool as those who actually have "www.myawesomesiteisbetterthanyours.com", but its something, right?

I would appreciate any and all feedback concerning the design, the execution, the navigability and anything else you care to sling at me. Questions, rants or raves are also welcome.

Oh, and currently the Sculpture and Video sections are unavailable, as in, I havent done jack for those parts yet! And the contact form is currently only for looks as the host is in the process of allowing PHP mail.

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Sdashiki- Thanks for sharing your site with us. Looking through it, I got a very eerie feeling- it's almost like a film noir. Your art and photography is... skewed. And by skewed, I don't mean odd, it's just different from the norm, and that's a good thing. You obviously have a talent, so keep up the good work.
    Just a couple of things about the site- and they are not biggies. For some odd reason the B&W drawing aren't showing up, and also for the commercial drawings there are 5 images and 2 question marks (no files). I'm guessing the site is just not done, but I thought I might give you heads up. Otherwise, it all looks good. Thank you sharing this again.

3. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

4. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

[​IMG]

These gaps between menus make it hard to navigate through them. Whenever the mouse crosses over the gap, the menu closes on me. Maybe it's just my computer, but the only way to get from one menu to its submenu is to be snappy with the mouse and jump quickly from one menu to the next.

EDIT: This problem occurs in every browser I have except Firefox.

5. Lau Guest

I'm still on a 1024 x 768 screen (12" iBook) and unfortunately I can't click on half the links because they're too low. It's one thing to design a site over 800 x 600 and make users on smaller screens scroll (which is annoying, but at least usable), but if you look at the screenshot attached it's too big and there are no scrollbars...

Attached Files:

6. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

ah things to work on.

the menu gap thing is odd....must be some CSS problems of course.

im not sure about the weird size thing though...

i only really have access to FF and IE7. and both look/work fine for me.

the CSS for the page has it all within a container DIV or 1000px wide, in a fixed position. since this isnt exactly a professional, nor a work related site, im not too worried about EVERYONE having the same web experience with it. for instance, when you shrink the window, nothing moves, which IMO is bad CSS.

7. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

8. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

thanks, you can find that and all the others like it under portfolio/photo/color

9. MiniMan. macrumors regular

Hi the menu gaps seem to be too small for my computer, so small that it overlaps the first few letters > screenshot attached :confused:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

this is really weird, im going to have to look into this.

Works fine in FF and IE7

what versions of what browsers are not working correctly?

http://godofpoo.110mb.com/mycss.css

if you want to browse the CSS

11. MiniMan. macrumors regular

im usin safari 2.0.4 i think! and as posted before it doesnt show properly! :)

12. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Safari 2.0.4 gives me the gap like in the screenshot I posted earlier, and also Shiira 1.2.2.

I haven't tested any other browsers except Firefox and it worked fine.

13. Elixer macrumors regular

I see that this is a creative site. But the way you have "Stuff Productions" ruins the whole feeling at least to me.

14. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Love the link name "god of poo." Made me chuckle. I like all of the artwork!

Nuc

15. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

What do you mean?

Stüff Productions.

dont forget the oomlat. ¨¨

16. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Love the design, and I didn't have any problems in Firefox here. The only thing I'd recommend is filling the space on the right a bit by default (have the first picture in an album go ahead and load up there, put something on the homepage perhaps). It has just a bit of an empty feeling like it is. It's really well done overall though!

jW

17. jng macrumors 65816

jng

I hate that giant flower in the bottom corner cause it doesn't really add to the overall feel (doesn't fit with black) and it's dominating and always there.

Also stüff bothers me. I find the use of umlauts (in general) rather annoying.

18. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Ditto. I'm looking at it on my 13.3" MacBook screen (in Firefox) and I can only see the tops of the pictures along the bottom of the screen (e.g. on the "Digital -> Pictures" page). If I drag the Firefox window from its default height so that it fills the full screen I can see the whole thing, but it just looks odd otherwise.

19. Photo Monkey macrumors member

I was only going to reply because of the awesome thread title, but my opinion is that the blue text is a little harsh on the eyes.

20. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

It's a really good site. Sort out the two major issues already noted (menu disappearing and links being cut off) and I think you've made an excellent site.

AppleMatt

21. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I think ive got the cutting off problem solved, i made the right "columns" liquid and they should move to the left as far as your window is. no longer is it 1000px wide, BUT it has a minimum of 800px to keep text from becoming obscured by the flower.

let me know what this does for people, as well I think I may have tweaked the menu a bit, see if it works now.

if not, please take a look at my CSS and tell me what you think may be going wrong.

Also, I seem to not be getting a vertical scroll bar when you shrink the windows height in the browser?

22. jng macrumors 65816

jng

But you don't need the flower! At least not that huge. Content wise the site is great. Layout/design wise, it's a bit of a mess - a bit in the sense that it's certainly better than many sites out there but it's just shy of being a good site.

It's illogical for example that the thumbnails should be relegated to the bottom right - a position of lesser importance by rule of thumb. Yes, the larger image appears there. But the use of a lightbox js would have been more elegant and intuitive. You also wouldn't have the cut off problem.

You should never design for 800px width. If I have an 800x600 resolution, I still need about 20 pixels for my browsers scrollbars and borders.

Stüff with the umlaut still annoys me. It seems rather childish to me, probably also because I speak German and it seems like a desecration.

Under influences, it's blank, no content.

Probably the largest flaw of all? No title on your website. Unless you want people to recognize you entirely by that absurdedly large flower, I don't know how people are supposed to know what the name of the site is. (Yes it's in the title bar, but that hardly counts.)

23. Richard Flynn macrumors regular

I just had a quick look at your site, using Firefox 2.0.0.3/Mac. A few brief observations:
    1. While your background image is impressive, it distracts the eye when your user is looking at your other work. Suddenly when you have hovered over the thumbnail for one of the items in your portfolio, there are two images competing for attention, when in fact the user's eye shouldn't be drawn away from the thing he is concentrating on, viz. the individual piece of art in question.
    2. I can't scroll! For example, looking at Photography / Colour / Macro, there are at least three rows of thumbnails at the bottom of the screen. However, on my MBP 15" I can only see the top two rows in their entirety, and a fraction of the third row. And there's no way for me to see the whole third row, or indeed if there's anything below that.
    3. I'm not wildly keen on the fact that you have to hover over—and stay hovered over—the thumbnails to see the full-size reproduction. I'd much rather be able to click on a thumbnail, and then not have the full-size image change until I click on something else (I might jog the mouse or anything). Also, although I haven't looked at any of your markup, if you're using the :hover pseudo-class for this effect, be aware that this won't work in IE6/Win and earlier for any element except <a>.
    I hope that's constructive. It looks nice, but I don't think you're quite doing yourself justice when it comes to effectively showing off your talent.

Oh, and people, what in German is called an umlaut is strictly in English called a diaeresis.

24. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Umlaut is in the english dictionary too. Diaeresis is just technical, no?

25. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

Not Quite:

di·er·e·sis or di·aer·e·sis (dī-ĕr'ĭ-sĭs)
    n., pl. -ses or -ses (-sēz').
    1. Linguistics.
    1. A mark (¨) placed over the second of two adjacent vowels to indicate that they are to be pronounced as separate sounds rather than a diphthong, as in naïve.

um·laut (ʊm'lout')
    n.
    1. A change in a vowel sound caused by partial assimilation especially to a vowel or semivowel occurring in the following syllable.
    2. A vowel sound changed in this manner. Also called vowel mutation.
    1. The diacritic mark (¨) placed over a vowel to indicate an umlaut, especially in German.

like the meaning and pronunciation for the crosshatch.
    if it comes before a digit it is "number" as in #4 (number four)
    if it comes after the digit is is "pound" as in 4# potatoes