Sick of 4.2.1 (3G), thinking of downgrading

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Lycanthroat, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Lycanthroat macrumors regular

Annoyingly, I updated to 4.2.1 before I jailbroke my iPhone for the first time - as such, I've been stuck on 4.2 ever since.

It's not terrible, but a lot of lockscreens/themes don't work properly and I'd rather downgrade to a more stable, more supported firmware. Tiny Umbrella tells me I have SHSH blobs saved all the way from 4.2.1 to 4.0 - now, this is where I am a little puzzled;

If I jailbroke my iPhone on 4.2, why are SHSH blobs for 4.0 - 4.1 there? Can I downgrade to, say 4.1? What is the procedure for this? Do I literally just back-up my stuff and restore using an .ipsw? Do I use the official Apple 4.1.ipsw or do I have to find a "custom" one (not quite sure what that means)?

I'm asking here before I restore (for the fourth time) as I don't want to go through all that and then find it doesn't work and I have to upgrade back to 4.2.1 again, therefore wasting a WHOLE lot of time - I can't find a Cydia back-up app that actually works on 4.2.1, so I have to download all my Cydia apps one by one :(

2. trajen macrumors 6502a

If I were you I would just downgrade to 3.1.3 for the fastest and most stable jailbroken OS. 4.0 and up on the 3G is just ridiculous.

3. Lycanthroat thread starter macrumors regular

Really? But I don't have a SHSH blob for that firmware.

I would love to downgrade to IOS3 (supposedly the best for any 3G) but how do I go about that?

How does one downgrade from 4.2.1 to 3.1.3?