Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverickuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
I wish i'd never bought it now, mainly because it gets so hot, its ridiculous that these bloody machines get so hot. I am sitting here now with it on my lap, and its burning.

The top is hotter than the rest, I can grip the corner for about 5 seconds before the heat becomes unbearable, I'm suprised Apple have not had law suits on their hands.

All I have running is Safari and Adium

Secondly, my lid wont close AGAIN! I have to send it off for repair AGAIN.

sigh :eek:

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
maverickuk said:
I wish i'd never bought it now, mainly because it gets so hot, its ridiculous that these bloody machines get so hot. I am sitting here now with it on my lap, and its burning.

The top is hotter than the rest, I can grip the corner for about 5 seconds before the heat becomes unbearable, I'm suprised Apple have not had law suits on their hands.

All I have running is Safari and Adium

Secondly, my lid wont close AGAIN! I have to send it off for repair AGAIN.

sigh :eek:

Well getting that hot isn't normal, either. What rev. PB do you have?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
There must be something wrong with it. I have a 15" 1.5GHz, and if I sit with it on my lap, sure it gets warm, but not "burning".

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
maya said:
Good to know there are 2 MR members here who do not want offspring. ;) :)
lol, I was thinking about that story as I was writing that...I don't sit with it for long, and it's generally not situated near the little fella :D ;) nearer my knees than er...that other thing...

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
edesignuk said:
lol, I was thinking about that story as I was writing that...I don't sit with it for long, and it's generally not situated near the little fella :D ;) nearer my knees than er...that other thing...

ROTFLMAO. Some defective fella's are better than All defective ones. ;) :)

maverickuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
Not sure how to find my revision number, its a 15" 1.25ghz with superdrive and optical keyboard.

I don't know whether its normal or not, each time I tell somebody with a powerbook G4 they say oh yes thats normal they all get hot.

But the temprature definately wouldnt be described as warm, it's like when you stir a cup of tea or coffee and then touch the spoon.

The bottom half isnt nearly as bad, that is bearable.

I am sure its the heat from the top of the mac, that is causing the chasis on the screen to warp and thats why it keeps popping open when I try to close it.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
sounds like you have a dud. Phone apple demand a new one, or try going to an apple store and seeing a genius...

/asif

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I always use my laptop on tables, never ever needed to put it on my lap. I guess I am not really a laptop user.

maverickuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
I will ring them tomorrow.

They should replace because a) This is the 3rd time I've had to send it off because of same problem and b) It really is ridiculously hot.

maverickuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
I always use my laptop on tables, never ever needed to put it on my lap. I guess I am not really a laptop user.

Even if it's on the table, floor etc it still gets stupidly hot, takes about 15 minutes and its boiling.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
Theres def some wrong with it.Mines been on and working hard for days and while the bottom is warm, the top near the hinge is very slightly warm, the rest is cool to the touch.
PS just running temperature moniter on it the results:
28c Battery
49c Processor Bottomside
44.8c Processor/Controller Bottomside
44.o Powersupply bottomside
( they are varying a bit a I watch but only by a few degrees)

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Is the fan running all the time? If it's that hot the fan should be running. If it isn't running, that could explain the excess heat. I've had a 1 GHz TiBook, 1 GB RAM, Superdrive for over 2 years and it's folding 24x7, but still it's anything more than warm. The fan does run all the time, though.

maverickuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
I cant remember the last time I heared the fan run, though perhaps I just dont notice it.

I will make a concious effort to listen out for it and see if it comes on.

If I am charging my powerbook, it gets even hotter :(

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
maverickuk said:
I cant remember the last time I heared the fan run, though perhaps I just dont notice it.

Uhm, I would definitely suggest not using the laptop *on your lap* for now.

Sounds as though it could be a serious health hazard, you never know - it could catch on fire.

Also, have you seen this page: https://depot.info.apple.com/batteryexchange/ - this could be your issue..

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
maverickuk said:

Sounds like the fan or the temperature sensor aren't working. If it's getting that hot, I'm fairly confident you'd notice the fan running.

maverickuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
The fan hasnt run at all in the past hour or so, and its very hot.

I am going to look for and download temperature monitor now.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Peterkro said:
Theres def some wrong with it.Mines been on and working hard for days and while the bottom is warm, the top near the hinge is very slightly warm, the rest is cool to the touch.
PS just running temperature moniter on it the results:
28c Battery
49c Processor Bottomside
44.8c Processor/Controller Bottomside
44.o Powersupply bottomside
( they are varying a bit a I watch but only by a few degrees)

Peter - is yours a rev A 15" too? Mine is alarmingly different

39C Battery
52.8C Processor Bottomside
54.0C Processor/Controller
56.2 Power Supply

Yikes!

maverickuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
Battery 40oC

Proccesor bottomside 60oC

Processor controler side 58oc

Power supply bottomside 63oC

I had a recalled battery and got it replaced, so that cant be the problem.

Not sure if these results are normal or not?

MyLeftNut

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Mmm definitely something wrong. Even when I run my PB to the ground the heat never makes it unbearable to touch. You might want to be careful of prematurely ruining your battery. They dont do well with extreme heat. As a precaution I'd take it out and just run on the power supply until the problem can be fixed. Just a thought.

Ooops. Just saw your last post forget that.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
No mines a rev C 17".so it will run a bit cooler because of the case size(works as a heatsink).Also mines sitting on a iCurve.Tho yours should't be that different ,your latest post indicades yours are somewhat high.Do a google and see if you can find what temp the fan should kick in.

PS just had a quick shifty and the only temp info on a 15" revA I could easily find was a range of 126f to 145f when the fans should kick in(they were using a ext moniter mind.Afraid you'll have to do conversion or change in temp moniter.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
How about we get some numbers before everyone starts saying "It's b0rked, demand a replacement!!!1" with foam at the mouths. Grab a temperature reporting utility, such as ThermographX, and keep track of hot hot it is. It could be that you just have sensitive skin.

maverickuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
It could be that you just have sensitive skin

lol, hmmmm well no actually I don't. My housemate and other friends are shocked at how hot it gets too.

Plus my screen keeps warping so I cant close my lid without it popping up.

unfaded

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2002
Seattle, WA
maverickuk said:
lol, hmmmm well no actually I don't. My housemate and other friends are shocked at how hot it gets too.

Plus my screen keeps warping so I cant close my lid without it popping up.

Yeah. That's not normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.