Sick of spam text !

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tenhead, May 14, 2012.

1. tenhead macrumors regular

All my friends have iPhone so texting are free with iMessage. However I keep getting stupid spam text everyday ! What can I do to not get anymore spam text? Please help. Thank you.

2. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

Go into settings, then messages and turn off iMessage? lol.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Download iBlacklist and block any spam text numbers.

5. tenhead thread starter macrumors regular

There's no way of blocking those spam numbers? Still want to be able to receive text from people without the iPhone.

6. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

No, there's no way of blocking them (without jailbreaking your phone).

Alternatively, you could get yourself a Google Voice number and use that as your main... which would allow you to block calls and texts.

7. DroidRules macrumors 65816

I told you how to block them.

8. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

I switched from AT&T to an alternative carrier - haven't gotten a single spam text message since.

9. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

First off, make sure you look at your phone bill very closely. Ensure you haven't "signed up" for these phony spam texts, that they charge you $9.99 monthly.
    Once that is done, you can do two things that will effectively work.
    1. Sign up for AT&T block list and put their contact info in that list. I think its a monthly charge for that.
    2. Jailbreak your phone and install iBlacklist. This is probably the preferred method for many people.

I ignored all spam and wrong number calls, I'm not jailbroken, I don't have this problem any longer myself, and I'm still on AT&T. My problem was the idiot that had my number before owed a lot of people cash. I gave those contacts a silent ring tone. Never heard them call, they stopped after awhile.

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I got the same "BestBuy" spam message on my 3GS on AT&T as I did on my 4S on Verizon. I only get a spam text maybe once or twice a year so I've never worried about them much.

I used to work at a telemarketing firm back in the 80s so I know how they get phone numbers. It's not hard at all.

11. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

if your on AT&T

Try this...

Dr. Rory Lewis- credit

This works BTW, I would never give AT&T a .01 to stop what they already offer but do not "promote".

12. rutledjw macrumors member

Do two things:
    1) Forward the message to 7726 - that's teh AT&T SPAM reporting tool
    2) Go to this link:
    http://www.fcc.gov/guides/spam-unwanted-text-messages-and-email

(I'm assuming you're in the US). The FCC takes a dim view of spammers and goes after them. I wouldn't sign up for the stupid AT&T service.

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Just checked my bill and saw this. Friggen spammers from Vitalertz / mblox.com
    Never signed up. They send useless texts. It's only been there for 2 months. Contacting AT&T.

Attached Files:

14. asf1966 macrumors newbie

I asked Verizon to block all 3rd party texts. I think it works pretty well as I rarely get any spam.

15. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Have them put a PIN block on your account. It's part of their parental controls options.
    This will prevent the auto-signup crap from happening.
    I had this feature (it's free) added to my account after getting hit with three of these in one month.
    I'm still pissed that this can happen in the first place.

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

17. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Well its good that you checked now, vs just ignoring it and paying them.

Good find!

----------

First off, this is a valid idea. People down voting you is mostly because its a bad habit of people readily and willingly to give up their personal information online.

Think: facebook.
    Its the laziness of the public that is taken advantage of.

But you do need some type of data to give if you're wishing to join up for something.
    This is where google voice comes in to play. As well as a secondary email address for spam only.
    You can block the spam on both and still not be bothered.

I never give my phone number or real email to anyone unless they are friends or family. Businesses, people I barely know, etc. all get google voice. This allows me to block, ignore, etc.

18. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

While true, your point is fairly moot. All phone numbers are available to anyone who wants them.
    Auto-dialers and spammers simply start at the beginning of a block of phone numbers and start dialing until they reach the end.
    Not efficient, but if you want to catch a lot of fish, you cast a wide net.

Only family and close friends have my phone number.
    I have a trash number for everyone else, yet I still got the spam texts and auto-enrolled.

19. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Yes, all numbers can be found for a price. But surprisingly enough, most are available for free. Too many people just thinkg "they know it anyway, so I'll just put it out there". Which, of course, begins the listing of their number for free. It happens.
    I only give out my GV number to anything that requires it to sign up. But with my personal # I never get any spam or texts. I'm just very careful. If they want it, sure...pay the price.

20. saberahul macrumors 68040

Your carrier can probably do it. Verizon allows free up to 10 numbers - for more you have to pay $4.99/month. I have been receiving a lot lately so I just go block one at a time. Of course, you would need to know the number and it wouldn't work for Blocked/Private numbers.

21. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I agree with others- it is the entering your phone number online that does it. If your number is public on any web site it is likely getting phished for texts. Make sure any facebook, etc. contact does not reveal your phone number publicly.

Don't give Google your phone number as a contact either.

22. tenhead thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the advice everybody. Right now I'm just gonna turn off my text.

23. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

More FUD. :rolleyes:
    Scouring online sites for numbers is time consuming and very inefficient.

Complete lists can be purchased directly from carriers or simply derived from the FCC's area code database.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Makes sense.
    That's what I suggested above but I guess everyone hated the idea but the OP.
    Im at -11 so far:D lol