Sick of the BS secrecy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mythree, Mar 4, 2012.

1. mythree macrumors newbie

Tired of the BS surrounding Apple release of products the secrecy, the games they play with their new stuff - moving on, need a new phone and can't deal with the: "it will be June, no it will be October, no it will be November" no it will be July" - "Well I saw the glass, well I saw the cover, I saw the..."

I SAW THE LIGHT - DONE WITH APPLE IPHONES ...!!!:mad::mad::mad:

2. iRooney macrumors 6502

iRooney

Okay...so you're ditching the iPhone because they don't go public on product releases until they are ready? Are you also tired of the lottery because they don't give out the numbers in advance too? This has got to be the dumbest logic I have heard in a while.

I'm done with Google because they don't tell me what the doodle is going to be on any given day in advance. Oh, and I'm done with having babies because the sex of the baby is kept a secret for so long.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I kind of agree with this to a point. While it may be a good marketing strategy that builds a lot of hype, it alienates the customers that actually shop around for products and actively compare specs.

The "new model" has no bearing on the people who just see a commercial and instantly want an iPhone. But those of us who try to time purchases for max benefit never know when we'll be able to take advantage of our upgrades.

4. bobTX10 macrumors member

I kind of hear what you're saying. For example, Samsung announced that they would be releasing the SGS3 in the first half of 2012. Granted that is a broad timeline but it still gives us an idea of when it would be out. Most likely the later end of the first half. But with apple, they don't do any of that. That's just who they are. You can't blame them. It's the consumers that keep making these false accusations. But at least you know if summer comes a long without a release then you know the new iPhone will be announced in October! Just be patient!

5. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

It's not secrecy- it's you, OP, being a stalker. It's us, who talk about the products day in and day out; constantly researching and speculating. It's not a bad thing, but if you're gonna do it- prepare for the consequences.

6. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

It's just good business. If consumers knew of the new product too far ahead of release, sales of current models would stagnate while they waited for the new hotness.

7. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

the secrecy makes it better.

You just have a short attention span OP

8. Lioncrazz macrumors member

I have to say that I love that apple does not release the product details until they are ready. The hype and anticipation is fun, creates a lot of conversation, and makes the phone that much more anticipated. I would never think of ditching my iPhone so really the only question when it comes out is whether I am going to sell my current model for the new model. I have been with apple since the iPhone 3G and I have had every model except the 3GS so I think it's fun every year to look forward to the release announcement.

9. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I am sick of manufactures of not telling us when they will drop the price of their products so I can buy it cheaper. :D

10. ChazUK, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (PlayStation Vita 1.61) AppleWebKit/531.22.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Silk/3.2)

I sometimee feel it’s better to have a product announcement then a quick release of a product than having a company announce something, only to wait weeks/months for its arrival.

It makes for a good publicity buzz when it finally does arrive. You don't want your product to be old at launch do you?

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Last I checked, Apple never says anything like that.

But sure, be mad because you believe the ridiculous rumors that come from untrustworthy sources. If you stick to the people that have a good track record there's very little that should surprise you. It sounds like you're upset because you believe everything you read on the internet. That's no way to go through life.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Being a stalker? What does that even mean?

13. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The people that think they can dictate to Apple what product to release next.

It's not even secrecy.

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Have you checked out the MacRumors Buyer's Guide? That's about the best place you'll find a timeline of expected release dates for most Apple products.

15. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

A little self reflection could do you some good.

No company is under any obligation to release their product schedule. This is in part due to random unforeseen product delays-- if the product comes late they don't have to save face, like Intel for example. The fact that you are somehow contingent on the release date of an iPhone is a bit absurd. If you need a phone right now, then get one, whether that be a 4S or whatnot. They have a consistent release cycle-- 1 per year. I just hope you're not the type that has to have the latest and greatest and shuffles phones every 3-6 months.

16. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Then why are you coming to an apple forum to complain? Just shut up and stop using an iphone.

17. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

good. More apple products for the people who understand business and marketing and understand the reasoning behind the "secrecy".

Good riddance!

18. Timzer macrumors 6502

I agree with this. To those who give snarky responses, what's the problem with wanting a definite timeline? We make Apple successful, Apple (or any Manufacturer) is nothing without the customer. I'm always amazed how so many drones feel the need to defend Apple for any little criticism someone else gives. I encourage change. I've tried iOS, Android, and WP7. To the average user (FB, Email, SMS, Twitter, Web Browsing, Phone Calls) they're all great, and they all will serve anyone just fine.
    The fact that you have an Android phone (GS3) having it's own launch conference instead of at MWC shows how much times have changed. The GS3 is going up against a tonne of other Android phones, but in a very short 2 years it's got a big enough following and attention to earn it's own separate launch. That's quite the accomplishment for a phone running the most common OS.

19. phlux macrumors newbie

Am I the only one that finds it interesting and fun that Apple is so secretive about releases? I remember never knowing when my software update would come for my Droid2 or DroidX and when it did, it was like Christmas day!

I enjoy being surprised, and now that I have an iPhone I plan to continue being surprised, dammit!

20. pmau macrumors 65816

So you ditch a perfect product just because Apple is not announcing details of the next one ... OK, let's assume I can understand that.

Now, Apple sells so much devices that it would hurt massively to announce the next product too early.

Now draw a line and take a deep breath.

Samsung has to do that, because it's just announcing another Android phone ... there is pressure from other companies that have similar hardware on the market.

So, they have to announce it, even if it's still 6 month ahead of time.
    They have to hope that people will wait for the next Samsung phone and not look at the Google Nexus or LG or HTC or ...

If Apple would do that, they would hurt their own market.
    This is a really dangerous position, even if you think that Apple walks on water.

Just a tiny miscommunication or a major flaw in design would bring the whole new iPad to a grinding halt.

This is why they try to create secrecy and hype. It's a thin line between their obvious success and complete failure of a product.

----------

Oh and by the way.

Android and iPhone are not competing on the same smartphone market.
    If I buy a TV set, there's competition, because they all function the same way.

Android and Apple are two segments where the customer chooses either side.
    There are only a few people who own Android and Apple products at the same time.

This is why the whole patent war and all the other BS is happening.
    Both Google and Apple are afraid of "switchers".

But that's not really competition ...

If I buy a Volkswagen or Audio, I can still use the same gas station, can use the same roads and have to sit in traffic with all the other people.

What's going on between Apple and Google is completly different.

PS: Man, my writing totally sucks today...

21. d0vr macrumors 6502a

Done with apple phones? Alright, we'll miss you.

22. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

calling people idiots doesn't help your argument, your blaming apple for what other people are saying as RUMORS you know made up things that people say?

to say your done with a company because of other peoples sayings is just an idiotic thing in itself.

only time apple annouce anything is when invites go out to say an event is happening an of course the event itself gives you all the details.

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Then be done with Apple's iPhones. Don't be so ****ing dramatic.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

In a way I sympathize with the OP. The problem is that many of us have fixed contracts with our mobile phone providers, so when we get to the end of the contract Apple's secrecy makes upgrading the iPhone somewhat fraught - you never know once you sign the new contract for an iPhone unpgrade whether Apple will release a new iPhone shortly thereafter. And before I get the 'so what? enjoy the phone that you do have....' response, there is a financial impact: the old models of the iPhone devalue (albeit much less so than Android phones). Besides, it is not as though Apple needs to trick anybody into buying their products, so why the secrecy?

Having said all of that, I cannot imagine getting big-bold-font upset about it, as the OP has done. 'Tis life. There can always be something better over the next hill.

25. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Unless they say otherwise, I assume a new iPhone is coming out the second half of the year.

Like always.